Business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestCoastNative

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of businesses can you start for under 10 grand?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
the most you would be able to buy with 10k is maybe an rv out in the middle of a desert

Reactions: 2 users
I just read that and the stuff that they're suggesting makes me think that they wrote the article because they had nothing else to talk about. The things that they suggest take a huge amount of luck.
If making money were easy, everyone would be rich

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just read that and the stuff that they're suggesting makes me think that they wrote the article because they had nothing else to talk about. The things that they suggest take a huge amount of luck.
Something like a business often does take a lot of luck. I know from personal experience with my parents' business that took almost a year to even get off the ground.

Could you detail what developments led to you wanting to start a small business?

Something like a business often does take a lot of luck. I know from personal experience with my parents' business that took almost a year to even get off the ground.

Could you detail what developments led to you wanting to start a small business?
Well there isn't much detail involved. I'm starting to fail my math courses and its bumming me out. I'm realizing that I had myself fooled into actually believing that I'd become a doctor. I want out, I want to start a small business and live a content live.

the most you would be able to buy with 10k is maybe an rv out in the middle of a desert

Yeah, but after 2 years, you could turn that 10k and an RV into 80 million and a sensible Chrysler sedan.

Well there isn't much detail involved. I'm starting to fail my math courses and its bumming me out. I'm realizing that I had myself fooled into actually believing that I'd become a doctor. I want out, I want to start a small business and live a content live.
So you are now pretty sure that medicine is going to be too long and tough of a trip, so you are ready to pursue new avenues? Alright. I'm sure that was a hard conclusion to come to. Sorry. However, you have a wide range of options open to you. Perhaps you could work for a while and save up even more? I really recommend that you talk to a financial advisor before you make any kind of move with your money. Explore the options with the help of an expert, not pre meds on a forum. Godspeed.

So you are now pretty sure that medicine is going to be too long and tough of a trip, so you are ready to pursue new avenues? Alright. I'm sure that was a hard conclusion to come to. Sorry. However, you have a wide range of options open to you. Perhaps you could work for a while and save up even more? I really recommend that you talk to a financial advisor before you make any kind of move with your money. Explore the options with the help of an expert, not pre meds on a forum. Godspeed.
I don't have a lot of time. It's either school or work in my family. Is there anything that I can do to set up life within a year?

I don't have a lot of time. It's either school or work in my family. Is there anything that I can do to set up life within a year?
Again. Talk with an advisor and your family. Family work sounds like a good option to get yourself independent and save up the money for a startup. Do you think you could use your degree once you get it? Is it safer than a new business? Have you thought of becoming a franchisee?

Again. Talk with an advisor and your family. Family work sounds like a good option to get yourself independent and save up the money for a startup. Do you think you could use your degree once you get it? Is it safer than a new business? Have you thought of becoming a franchisee?
Don't you need hundreds of thousands to become a franchisee? For any sensible degree, you need a heavy amount of math. I'm not good at math.

Don't you need hundreds of thousands to become a franchisee? For any sensible degree, you need a heavy amount of math. I'm not good at math.
I'm not sure. A lot of franchises are granted to people on the inside. Just throwing out options. I'm assuming you are considering not completing your degree. Have you ever considered technical school? Welders, electricians, plumbers, truckers and others all start their own businesses and they have great skills to market first, so they can raise money.

Personally, I wouldn't open a franchise. I imagine it is a lot of risk and headache.

Although, I know some guys who opened up some frozen yogurt franchises several years ago when fro yo was just new and hip. iirc, it was ~250k to open one and depending on location, etc you'd break even after 3-4 yrs. Nightmare managing the teenagers who you hire to work there though.

You know @Oso @WestCoastNative ... for 10k you could buy a boss ass stand

lemonade.jpg

Just sayin

I'd recommend learning to code (since that can give you some decent salaries), but that would be hard if you don't like math.

How do you go about doing this?

Open an account with an online broker, Scottrade is pretty good $7 a trade. Theres money to be made, but also a ton to be lost. If you have the capital you can always sit and collect on dividends, but with 10k it would amount to less than $500 a quarter.

Personally, I wouldn't open a franchise. I imagine it is a lot of risk and headache.

Although, I know some guys who opened up some frozen yogurt franchises several years ago when fro yo was just new and hip. iirc, it was ~250k to open one and depending on location, etc you'd break even after 3-4 yrs. Nightmare managing the teenagers who you hire to work there though.
$10,000 is the limiting factor, of course. But OP seems to be looking for a long term thing, and headache is coming to anyone who starts a new business.

If I end up getting a B in a non prerequisite math course, should I advance up even though if I don't know half the material? This is nothing but headaches. I don't know what the hell to do in the least. I think that I finally realized that you can't be a premed half assed, it's not working out for sh**.

If I end up getting a B in a non prerequisite math course, should I advance up even though if I don't know half the material?
A possible B has you so worked up?

If you are tired of academia, you should probably take a break, at least temporarily. It could benefit yourself and others if your are engaging in something you would rather be doing.

I'd recommend learning to code (since that can give you some decent salaries), but that would be hard if you don't like math.

You can teach yourself how to code without taking a single math course.

if you weren't having difficulties in your math class, would you still change your career goals?

If you still want to go into medicine, then focus on doing whatever you need to do to improve in your class (get a tutor, etc), rather than starting a business

A possible B has you so worked up?

If you are tired of academia, you should probably take a break, at least temporarily. It could benefit yourself and others if your are engaging in something you would rather be doing.
I might be getting a B, at best. The first half of the semester was really easy and I got solid grades, so now if I get D's, it should balance out to a B at the best.

if you weren't having difficulties in your math class, would you still change your career goals?

If you still want to go into medicine, then focus on doing whatever you need to do to improve in your class (get a tutor, etc), rather than starting a business
+1

You can certainly salvage this grade, and even then, who cares? It's a math class. Sure it could lower your sGPA, but it's a math class. Not that big of a deal.

+1

You can certainly salvage this grade, and even then, who cares? It's a math class. Sure it could lower your sGPA, but it's a math class. Not that big of a deal.
Btw, is an entry level math class... which probably makes it 10x worse.

Med schools aren't going to grill you on a bad grade in an lower level math class. You should probably chill out a little.

<------Got a C in Calc 1.

Becoming an electrician, a plumber, or an otherwise skilled manual labor can be a good avenue to a very comfortable life (possibly owning your own business with others working under you) after a couple of years of training. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty and have a little bit of business sense. Also you have to dump the whole prestige in the public eye thing but I think its a respectable, high in demand group of professions with a great ROI.

@Lucca that's probably the most sensible recommendation. OP, take the 10k and go for vocational training, and if you really have the entrepreneurial drive, you can always start a small business, by financing it with some capital and a bank loan.

But spending the last of your money on a Hail Mary pass is very inadvisable.

You can teach yourself how to code without taking a single math course.

True, you don't have to take math classes to learn things in computer science/programming. Yet, there is a pretty strong trend that if you have trouble with math, you'd have trouble learning programming/ be bad at it.

OP: you might enjoy this. not exactly mind-blowing but a fun little book.

http://100startup.com/

100-Dollar-Startup-Book.jpg

Imagine a life where all your time is spent on the things you want to do.
Imagine handing a letter to your boss that reads, “Dear Boss, I’m writing to let you know that your services are no longer required. Thanks for everything, but I’ll be doing things my own way now.”

Imagine that today is your final day of working for anyone other than yourself. What if—very soon, not in some distant, undefined future—you prepare for work by firing up a laptop in your home office, walking into a storefront you’ve opened, phoning a client who trusts you for helpful advice, or otherwise doing what you want instead of what someone tells you to do?

All over the world, and in many different ways, thousands of people are doing exactly that. They are rewriting the rules of work, becoming their own bosses, and creating a new future.

Chris - You're welcome.

I'm a non-trad and I started up several businesses for cheap.

Book reseller - this requires the most space and most manpower if you are keeping costs down.
Consultant - I was two different forms of technology consultant, best ROI
Day trader - can also be good ROI, if you are good. This required the biggest initial investment for me.
Freelance Copyeditor/writer
Information broker
Tutoring service

Other people I know who started businesses included

Jewelry making
Hat making - thought I have no idea what her start up costs were, just that she makes 1000% profit on every hat.
Nail polish making - luckily she had all/most of the chemical equipment needed as she was working with some nasty stuff.