Businessman & Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_spenncer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just those debts are scary and how possible is it realistically? Any advice or thoughts do you think its possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Of course it's possible to be a psychiatrist and a businessman and be filthy rich and influence the world. Just look up Daniel Amen.

Of course the drawback is being an unethical snake oil salesman preying on a vulnerable patient population.

Give up hopes of finding the first cure for a mental disorder. If your passion is investigating diseases and treatments, psychiatry can sure use some fine researchers. However, despite all the progress that's been made through research in mental health we really haven't made any significant clinically useful progress in finding biomarkers or novel treatments in psychiatry since SSRIs came out in the late 80s.

Overall, your post seems very confused. You're in it for the money, but not for the money, etc. Out of curiosity, how old are you and what stage of training are you in?

You are, what, a freshman in HS?

There is so much maturing to do (and please show your maturity by understanding that isn't an insult but simply a reality, given your current status). How do you know what jobs you can stand to do? Have you already rotated on nephrology? Surgery? Peds?

What did your exploration of dentistry, podiatry, accounting, audiologist, etc entail?

I suggest you keep an open mind about your future and join the high school/premed subforum on SDN.

Also, the "if Patrick can do it, so can I" philosophy is very naive. That's fine talk for the cafeteria with friends, but for people way down the line in training -- it just shows your age.

Last edited:
RE: my earlier reply, sorry your first sentence didn't register to me apparently. ;)

Regardless, Frazier's advice is spot on. You got a lot of growing up to do in order to project your future in this way. It's a hard thing for people who have graduated college, gotten real life experience, etc. At your age, you need seasoning and more time for your frontal lobe to develop to really even understand the implications of the questions your asking.

If I'm sounding negative and pessimistic to you, sorry! We'll tell you straight here, but we appreciate you being here and being enthusiastic about learning about psychiatry and business. Those are good things!

Reactions: 1 user