This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spaceturtle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really in need of some advice, as I am between schools.I have about a year to decide because I am deferring to Fall 2017

I have been accepted to Boston University and UI at Chicago for an MPH degree.

Currently I am favoring UIC because I am skeptical about BU's new integrated core can not yield many results because its brand new and that is definitely a risk factor IMHO:nailbiting:... if anyone cares to share some thoughts on BU's new curriculum please do. Also, I have noticed an obscene amount of emails from BU and I get the impression they are trying to really sell it to me. Other than those negative parts, I do think BU has a lot of good career opportunities post graduation and projects a decent salary.

UIC on the other hand does not really disclose anywhere what kind of salary can be expected after graduation and a very brief alumni page! I have heard mixed reviews on UIC in terms of staff-student relationships, and I cannot seem to find any testimony of any UIC students in the CHS department :unsure: ... so please if you're from CHS come forward!

Comparing the two schools, UIC is cheaper, Chicago city is less populated with undergraduates than Boston, and friends keep telling me Chicago is more fun for a late 20s gal like me.

Even though UIC is winning the race right now, what really matters is the quality of education and how promising employment is post-graduation. As it stands, I am really interested in a research/academic setting-based career.

If anyone has any opinions about comparing the two schools or are current students or alumni, please share!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am accepted to UIC MPH in epi for Fall 2016 and looking for some info about their program too. I have been on waitlist for other schools and wondering if I should stick to what I have (UIC) or keep up hope for other schools. Since I don't live in Chicago (never been there!), I have to pack my stuff, find a new apartment and move if I decide to go to UIC.

I also found some negative reviews on UIC how they don't care much students etc.... which kinda makes me worried. I did my undergrad at a massive school that is infamous for large class sizes and low quality on student support and I hated it :( Although I made awesome college life and met amazing people, overall it made me want to go to a school with better student service/support next time if I go back to school.

I really would love to hear about career prospectives and overall experiences for people with MPH at UIC too. It is the most likely I will go to UIC but I don't want to make a decision just based on few number of people's negative reviews....:(