Busting the stereotypes of being a Psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think it is good for a psychiatrist to curse, especially in the settings most of us work in(inpatient, medmgt, or even semi reg therapy with med mgt), at least with real curse words. Now for the one psych out of a thousand who sees a pt for 4 hrs per week and really really really knows the, maybe.

Someone else mentioned that a pt cursing may feel the psych is being empathetic or trying to bond with the by cursing, but more likely than this the pt will just feel the psych is being phony.

I mean really- if you feel like you need to use the f word to connect with pts, you should really work on connecting with pts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it is good for a psychiatrist to curse, especially in the settings most of us work in(inpatient, medmgt, or even semi reg therapy with med mgt), at least with real curse words. Now for the one psych out of a thousand who sees a pt for 4 hrs per week and really really really knows the, maybe.

Someone else mentioned that a pt cursing may feel the psych is being empathetic or trying to bond with the by cursing, but more likely than this the pt will just feel the psych is being phony.

I mean really- if you feel like you need to use the f word to connect with pts, you should really work on connecting with pts.

I don't know about anyone else, but I kind of thought it was pretty clear from the context of other posts that we're talking about situations of longer term therapy, not just doing inpatient rounds or having someone come in for a quick med check. And of course a Psychiatrist just swearing out of character because they've heard their patient swear and think it'll be a good short cut to setting up some sort of empathetic bond would come across as a complete phony, I don't think anyone in this thread has said 'Go behave completely out of character, that's how you'll bond with a patient'.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like Psychiatry to convey the image of the Marlboro Man. This would be unique in the therapeutic encounters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't go into psych because I had mental health issues, I went into psych because all my FRIENDS had mental health issues and I decided if I had to be a counselor all day long, at least I'd get &#$*(&#*( payed for it.

As for cursing, I think do it if it 'fits you' (I curse like a sailor) and it fits with the therapeutic encounter.

Reactions: 2 users
All people aren't the same. I'd imagine someone doing therapy has a different rapport with patients.

It's harder to rein-in my odd sense of humor than it is to control swearing. It's something I'm working on for interview season. :)