Butler Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, the process seems to have changed some since I went thru the program, just graduated from butler this past may:) whoop woop
For the apt questions- brip may not be the way to go, I lived at residence at white river and loved it, I felt brip was expensive for what they were going to give you... But on the upside a drink was always around the corner lol.
The classes are still fresh in my mind, so if you have questions about which to try to test out of or those that you'd be better off attending I'll let ya kno!
I'd love to answer any questions about butler and I'll be as honest as I can be:thumbup::

I have taken both biochem and immunology as an undergrad.. would you suggest retaking them or trying to test out?.. I think I will have a full course load because I'm probably going to try to do the dual masters program but I kind of wanted to retake them anyway just to make sure im up to speed..

and to anyone moving in an apt at the residence at white river.. it is a nice place and just a few minutes from campus.. let me know if you want to say i referred you and we can split the $400 referral credit! I will just give you $200.. just PM me your full name and email :D

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, the process seems to have changed some since I went thru the program, just graduated from butler this past may:) whoop woop
For the apt questions- brip may not be the way to go, I lived at residence at white river and loved it, I felt brip was expensive for what they were going to give you... But on the upside a drink was always around the corner lol.
The classes are still fresh in my mind, so if you have questions about which to try to test out of or those that you'd be better off attending I'll let ya kno!
I'd love to answer any questions about butler and I'll be as honest as I can be:thumbup::

The students that were taking us around stated that there's a reading week prior to tests. How often do they test for the classes? Is it just one test for the whole semester?

as directed- 1st biochem, would try to test out of...i don't believe i used much of that anyhow, if you feel you have a solid understanding, you are good to go. when i took that class...i felt i could have read the book and gotten more out of it than actualy going to class...and the test's *sigh* were the bain of my existence during my p1 year, more difficlut then need be...especially for the subject matter. so if you have already taken biochem..don't do it again if you can!!
now for immunology- actually enjoyed that class, prof is amazing and the topics were very interesting and helped me become more prepared when we went in therapeutics as well as PDA- definitely a class i would not skip for multiple reasons...ah especially when it comes to "bugs n drugs" & biologicals which im sure is going to have a more heavier emphasis as we progess in that field :) so take it, you won't regret it

ft86- lol reading week...you have clusters 3x a semester where class stops (as well as your life) and you simply take tests for that week...now lets say your clusters start on a monday and goes thru weds...you have no class mon-weds, but you will have class that prior friday...so in essence its not like the week before you have no class in order to study, you simply do no thave class while you are taking tests...but hey go to class when you feel...panapto (lecture recording device that's in all classrooms, thank GOD) the days that you dont :)
ps- i will say, there are some profs who love to give quizzes days leading up to ...or days directly after the cluster, their usually pretty simple, the prof just wants to screw those that don't bother to show up those days...
oops- to answer your question fully...lets say you 5 classes...you have 5 tests that cluster period...the majority of classes have a cluster, one example where you won't have one...would maybe be the 1 credit hour class, forget what its called....px100??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
as directed- 1st biochem, would try to test out of...i don't believe i used much of that anyhow, if you feel you have a solid understanding, you are good to go. when i took that class...i felt i could have read the book and gotten more out of it than actualy going to class...and the test's *sigh* were the bain of my existence during my p1 year, more difficlut then need be...especially for the subject matter. so if you have already taken biochem..don't do it again if you can!!
now for immunology- actually enjoyed that class, prof is amazing and the topics were very interesting and helped me become more prepared when we went in therapeutics as well as PDA- definitely a class i would not skip for multiple reasons...ah especially when it comes to "bugs n drugs" & biologicals which im sure is going to have a more heavier emphasis as we progess in that field :) so take it, you won't regret it

ft86- lol reading week...you have clusters 3x a semester where class stops (as well as your life) and you simply take tests for that week...now lets say your clusters start on a monday and goes thru weds...you have no class mon-weds, but you will have class that prior friday...so in essence its not like the week before you have no class in order to study, you simply do no thave class while you are taking tests...but hey go to class when you feel...panapto (lecture recording device that's in all classrooms, thank GOD) the days that you dont :)
ps- i will say, there are some profs who love to give quizzes days leading up to ...or days directly after the cluster, their usually pretty simple, the prof just wants to screw those that don't bother to show up those days...
oops- to answer your question fully...lets say you 5 classes...you have 5 tests that cluster period...the majority of classes have a cluster, one example where you won't have one...would maybe be the 1 credit hour class, forget what its called....px100??

Thanks for the advice! That's probably what I'll do. Too bad I sucked at biochem and did pretty well in immunology :rolleyes:

Dang, I haven't been on here in a while. I missed some good info. I already submitted a syllabus to get out of immuno. I did really well, and maybe if it wasn't at 8am I would have considered taking it. I did not do well in Biochem, so I'm going to go ahead and retake it. I need it.

NerdSwagg88, are you ready for a barage of questions? Here goes:
Do I need to buy books? I've heard that buying the books is a waste of money (at other schools). Are the lectures all powerpoint slides that you can print off? In a typical day, what did you bring to class with you? What's the class culture like? Is everyone super cutthroat? As transfers are we going to be outcasts immediately? I think there's going to be a lot of us this year. What about the student orgs. What should I try and get into and what isn't worth my time. I have lots more questions, but we'll just start with those :laugh:. Thanks :)

Dang, I haven't been on here in a while. I missed some good info. I already submitted a syllabus to get out of immuno. I did really well, and maybe if it wasn't at 8am I would have considered taking it. I did not do well in Biochem, so I'm going to go ahead and retake it. I need it.

NerdSwagg88, are you ready for a barage of questions? Here goes:
Do I need to buy books? I've heard that buying the books is a waste of money (at other schools). Are the lectures all powerpoint slides that you can print off? In a typical day, what did you bring to class with you? What's the class culture like? Is everyone super cutthroat? As transfers are we going to be outcasts immediately? I think there's going to be a lot of us this year. What about the student orgs. What should I try and get into and what isn't worth my time. I have lots more questions, but we'll just start with those :laugh:. Thanks :)

1st is there a way sdn alerts you when someone replies?? Sorry these responses are so late!

1- buy books, no and yes... Which class? No for phys or pathophys:) hmm I forget the others, send me a list
2- yes some are pp others are word document, you will have a computer, so I printed them off to study but others were fine studying from the computer, it depends on you
3- typical day, coffee and my computer, that's it
4- class culture, well I'll be real with ya many of us have been studying together from frosh yrmand have formed those bonds, but we.re welcoming to newcomers for sure and I've seen the transfers kinda clique up as well. If you want to do study groups, share pass papers etc... One I would join a fraternity, it's not much work at all and then you will see many of the pass papers, and/or initiate the sharing of info yourself and start a study group etc. I personally did not join a pharmacy frat, but looking back shrug, may have been fun...it won't make or break you:)
5- I say in my class there was 2-3 cutthroat people in the class and those people were weirdly looked at. Everyone is there to learn and more importantly pass so there is a lot of sharing of info and test questions etc. A majority of my class was friendly and easy to get a long with
6- transfers are not looked at weirdly, make an effort to get to know your class mates and they will make an effort to get to know you. Now transfers , I felt were cliquish and I wish they made an effort to get outside their clan but hey... At the end we were all try a pass, so it was fine

I'm glad there's more transfers, get us out of the butler bubble :) as for pharmacy orgs- there is none specifically I will recommend but I feel that kappa psi did have more fun than the others... But that may have been my class? It is what you make it...that would be my motto for butler in general
Get involved In Non pharmacy stuff however, gives you a break!

If you have the app you can subscribe to favorites and you'll get an email when there's a reply. :) Get the app its so great!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thanks nerdswagg88. It seems like it's the same as what I am doing right now.
Regarding the books...will we need the books for Pharmaceutical Care 1, Biochem, Immuno?

This is the only thread I've seen regarding Butler, so I have a few questions for you guys who were accepted. What were your stats and will it matter that I am in state and was accepted to Butler for undergrad with a scholarship (although I deferred to attend IU)? I saw in this thread also that they only allow ~20 spots for transfers, is it still the same?

I'll be graduating December 2014 with a BS in Nutrition Science and minors in Chem/Bio

I was accepted to Butler as a transfer, and GPA/PCAT score are weighted heavily in the admission process. As long as you have above average GPA/PCAT score, you should be good. The fact that you are in-state and were accepted to Butler before most likely does not matter. There usually are around 20 transfer spots. It varies each year depending on how many pre-pharmacy students fail out or decide to not do pharmacy.

I have been accepted as a transfer, and trying to decide whether or not to go. Do you think Butler has a strong program? I know it's established and everything, but I have heard mixed responses. How do current students like the program? I am also looking into their PharmD/MBA program