Butt soreness from sitting too long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evisju7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(I ask here because I figure some of you may have similar problems and a solution. Not because I'm looking for medical advice.)

To the point. Sitting in lectures, sitting at the library... it adds up. My bum hurts. Any suggestions on alternatives to sitting? I figure I can't bring a bounce ball to the library though.

I do stand up and walk around every hourish. Also I do exercise regularly. But no help. It's distracting me from focusing

Members don't see this ad.

get one of those butt doughnuts they give people with broken or injured tailbones haha. i think that's probably the area of greatest pressure anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Just deal with the butthurt and develop buns that can handle sitting for up to 8 hours at a time.

Alternatively, you could just spend time on SDN until you'd suffered enough butthurt to be completely desensitized.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just deal with the butthurt and develop buns that can handle sitting for up to 8 hours at a time.

Alternatively, you could just spend time on SDN until you'd suffered enough butthurt to be completely desensitized.

SDNers have buns of steal

Reactions: 1 user
I just change my studying location frequently. My school leaves all the classrooms unlocked so I can bounce from room to room with my study group and it's a good way to take a break every hour or so. Good way to reset your brain also if you want to switch gears from one subject to another. Also writing on a whiteboard requires standing and promotes active thinking, so I recommend doing this. If you can't sit for more then an hour at a time, I can't imagine how you get through exams...

Have you tried studying at a standing desk, reading lectern, or even just a high counter at a coffee shop? You can stand and do your studying at the same time. Some people I know read and study at the gym. I watch a lot of video content on the treadmill (e.g. Pathoma videos) on a tablet.

You'll be wishing you could sit on your bum for hours when you find yourself standing for 3-4 hours during rounds. :p

Just get up and walk around once in a while. Maybe use a really comfy sweatshirt as a cushion.

Butt cheek massages, if you have an SO. Ridiculously relaxing. My SO has the same problem at work.

...whether or not I'm joking depends on how weird people now think I am. :whoa:

Reactions: 2 users
You'll be wishing you could sit on your bum for hours when you find yourself standing for 3-4 hours during rounds. :p

Just get up and walk around once in a while. Maybe use a really comfy sweatshirt as a cushion.

I guess I'm getting good training while working retail. Seriously, were not allowed to sit while we're on the clock.

Reactions: 2 users
get one of those butt doughnuts they give people with broken or injured tailbones haha. i think that's probably the area of greatest pressure anyway.
Butt cheek massages, if you have an SO. Ridiculously relaxing. My SO has the same problem at work.

...whether or not I'm joking depends on how weird people now think I am. :whoa:

Not weird.. not to me at least. My SO used to do this to me. It is very nice, agreed. Too bad he's fled the country and is no longer my SO.
(Kidding, he left for work)

Get somebody to kick you in the coccyx really hard with steel toe boots. It will hurt a lot. But after it heals sitting down wont seem as painful in comparison!

This is glorious.

OP, buy a cushion if it's really that bad. Or just pace while studying.

Gain some weight and hope most of it goes to your butt to provide a natural cushion :laugh:

6 hour Orgo lectures this summer, I feel you. Just got up once every hour and was fine for the next hour.

squats
patrick-bateman.gif

Try getting one of those erg-butt pads... they're the greatest thing in the world because it minimizes the worst thing in the world (ergs).
It dropped some sec off my split and i'm sure it'll drop the # of time you spend at the library studying.