Buying an online version of TBR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suraya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having a hard time locating The Berkeley Review Mcat books here in Toronto and yesterday stumbled upon someone online selling the .pdf versions (all 8 science books) and he even sent me a few screenshot. Seller also said the edition was 2009 and that he would also be shipping out a cd copy of the .pdf files link.

Anyone have advice for me? Apparently the transaction will take place on ebay, and that alleviates some worry. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

TBR doesn't sell online versions of their books. All they make is the real books. You can always get used copies in the for sale forum here. I wouldn't buy pdf versions of the berkeley review books. Don't support thieves who steal the work of hardworking people to sell as pirated copies. I have the berkeley books and they are well worth the price. either buy from sdn or buy from their website.

Hello,

I've been having a hard time locating The Berkeley Review Mcat books here in Toronto and yesterday stumbled upon someone online selling the .pdf versions (all 8 science books) and he even sent me a few screenshot. Seller also said the edition was 2009 and that he would also be shipping out a cd copy of the .pdf files link.

Anyone have advice for me? Apparently the transaction will take place on ebay, and that alleviates some worry. What do you guys think?

Thanks

This sounds like pirated material.

Hello,

Thanks

I think that you will have some criminal issues on your hands if you buy those books. Adcoms tend to frown upon said criminal activity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out about Kindle ebooks. It would be great if the TBR makers could have a way to sell their books as ebooks on Kindle as well. That would make access immediate and you would not have to worry about high shipping or shipping delays. Kindle books can not be printed which would be great for reducing the likelihood of piracy and I also believe they would be protected as well.

I just found out about Kindle ebooks. It would be great if the TBR makers could have a way to sell their books as ebooks on Kindle as well. That would make access immediate and you would not have to worry about high shipping or shipping delays. Kindle books can not be printed which would be great for reducing the likelihood of piracy and I also believe they would be protected as well.

The TBR content is awesome, don't get me wrong. But when I was getting my books, I got the feeling that the office up there looked like the one at Fred Flintstone's rock quarry. Filling out the online ordering form and faxing it to them feels like it's 1998; I hardly see them getting onto the Kindle bandwagon when the can't develop an e-commerce-friendly website.

The TBR content is awesome, don't get me wrong. But when I was getting my books, I got the feeling that the office up there looked like the one at Fred Flintstone's rock quarry. Filling out the online ordering form and faxing it to them feels like it's 1998; I hardly see them getting onto the Kindle bandwagon when the can't develop an e-commerce-friendly website.

It would take an upgrade to get the website to Flintstone caliber. All I can is that they are fully aware that they could be a much bigger and more profitable company with the changes everyone on the planet finds obvious, but for some odd reason they don't seem to care. Maybe their minds are addled by all the Berkeley air.

For the OP: As for the illegal pdfs being sold, I would STRONGLY advise against buying them. I can't really get into the details, but apparently there are a couple people who have severely (if not completely) hampered their chances to get into medical school because of it. It's not worth it to buy any of the illegal materials out there; way too risky.

Hello,

Thanks

Before responding, I want to thank the others in this thread (mzblue, hiyaman, and pons) who have expressedly shown that honor and honesty are paramount. You will do the medical profession proud. Of course this is no surprise, because you have shown your strong character and nature in many previous threads. SDN is filled with great and honorable posters such as yourselves. The vast majority of people here have moved me with their sensitivity, integrity, passion, work ethic, and all around great character. I really want to emphasize this before addressing the elephant in the room.

{{{Tone change coming}}}

As for your post OP, I was set to let your post slide as silliness (I have a stronger word in mind, but I'm trying to stay in tune with the site's good ways) until you sent me a PM. Seriously now, why would you continue to pursue more information about an illegal activity? It is a crime plain and simple. Do you realy need to seek the advice of a public forum as to whether or not you should commit a crime? I don't want to get into the discussion of why such behavior is horrid in anyone involved in medicine or pursuing medicine because I hope that is obvious. Maybe you didn't know at the time you posted this message that the pdf files were illegal, but at the time you PMed me you knew.

I think the simple facts of the situation should suffice. In the scenario you are proposing, both the seller and buyer are committing crimes. Both can get into legal hassles, which will impact your chances of being accepted to medical school. There is a section on the application about criminal activity, and it would be a shame to have to fill it out for something as stupid as trying to save $50 or so by buying pirated copies of MCAT materials.

If the books are so hard to get in Toronto, look for them used here at SDN. The company even advises Canadians of this option. The tarrifs on new books are crazy, as is the shipping expense. But if you buy them used from a private party, for some reason they are much cheaper to ship. The company is actually trying to save you money and you're wondering if you should steal from them.

In general, I hope most people find it obvious that you shouldn't engage in a crime. Be it that your morals and ethics are strong, your fear of being caught hurting your chances of being accepted, or your common sense that anyone selling pirated materials is to be avoided (they could be selling you a virus, the wrong stuff, who knows?) because they could be stealing from you. Just don't support this activity at any level. If you see this happening, report it to the company being impacted, to the moderators, and to AAMC.

I know if someone applying to the field of medicine tried to sell me pirated anything, I would drop their name to AAMC (the school, the company involved) in a heartbeat, because I don't want them in my medical school or my profession. If it was someone buying the materials, I might not be so eager to report them, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't report them. There's intense competition at every level of the path to becoming a doctor, and keeping a clean record would seem to be essential to being as successful as possible.

Last edited:
BerkReviewTeach,
I think that was a little inappropriate of you to go through such lengths to make an example of me. It was merely a question about material that I was unsure of existed in an electronic version, that is why I asked it on a public forum. With that being said, I do now know that such material is harmful in possession and clearly understood that with the first couple of posts that answered my question.

For the record, I was not going to purchase such material after asking about it on SDN, and am not seeking your advice or anyone on here for illegal activity. I simply was curious as to how this would hurt my chances of medical school applications, because knowing this might help me in other respects (ie. someone with a previous criminal record for example).

Nevertheless, thanks for your help and everyone else!

BerkReviewTeach,
I think that was a little inappropriate of you to go through such lengths to make an example of me. It was merely a question about material that I was unsure of existed in an electronic version, that is why I asked it on a public forum. With that being said, I do now know that such material is harmful in possession and clearly understood that with the first couple of posts that answered my question.

For the record, I was not going to purchase such material after asking about it on SDN, and am not seeking your advice or anyone on here for illegal activity. I simply was curious as to how this would hurt my chances of medical school applications, because knowing this might help me in other respects (ie. someone with a previous criminal record for example).

Nevertheless, thanks for your help and everyone else!

No one wins a flame war. I am in no way trying to start one here, but this is a serious matter and I feel I need to respond.

I was not trying to make any person an example, but when a thread pops up asking if they should buy illegal pdf versions of pirated materials, don't you think an employee of the company being ripped off has the right to post a detailed "no"?

Let's consider a few possibilities.

(1) If you truly didn't know the pdf format was illegal at the time, which is totally viable and has happened before, then it is imperative for me (representing BR) to make it public information that there is no pdf format.

(2) If you suspected it was illegal and were fishing to see if others had done this in the past and got away with it, which again is viable and has happened in the past, then it's everyone's duty to point out the criminal nature of it and how it disgraces the field.

At the time you first posted, I assumed the first scenario, and hence my first response was short and to the point. But then you sent me a PM with a general question (I won't duvilge its contents unless you expressly say it's okay). The PM implied to me that you were still pondering the purchase.

My second post isn't about making anyone an example; it's about making a point. It's about saying in a public forum what needs to be said. You could have contacted the company to see if they sell pdf files. You could have posted "Does BR sell pdf versions of their materials?" However, you didn't post that. You posted "stumbled upon", "he would also be shipping out a cd copy of the .pdf files link", and "the transaction will take place on ebay", all strong indicators that this was a transaction in progress (see the verb tense).

I am glad you showed the sense to ask about it before finally doing it, because that's the honest thing to do. You have integrity. The best thing to do would be to report the crime to the appopriate people (company and webhost of the contact point). If it was from eBay report it there. If it was here at SDN, contact a moderator.

Again, this is not about being an example. You have the choice to be a role model if you wish, but that is not the point here.

The point is simply, "don't engage in the buying and selling of illegal materials and you'll be a more successful person in life."

Olive branch extended!

Point well taken, I understand your concern and agree with what you said. I never really thought about contacting the company as I thought I would get a quicker reply on SDN. No harm done then.

Thanks again for your help. It was much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, gone are the old, old days where SDN was lightly moderated and people like Loukary and the likes used to flame like crazy. Those people cracked me up. Some of the mods then even engaged in those flame wars. I look back and i think SDN has come has come a long way. Your post reminded me of my all time favorite SDN thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=19971

Yeah, the personality of this place has changed from those days. I wasn't around back then, but I love when people link those classic threads. Here's my favorite troll post ever. Not just at this site, but ever.

Expert Troll, all other trolls should bow in appreciation!

Posts #8 and #15 are the best. Post #8 presents a very sound argument for the presence of a bone. And post #15 is an amazing physiology picture showing how the pubic bone functions. Superb work.

Be warned, this thread contains some politically incorrect, but unbelievably funny posts.

Last edited:
Even though Loukary's posts were very entertaining, I hate when that happens in the MCAT forum. Those kinds of flame wars are better left in the Pre-Allo forum. I mean look at the latest Loukary-like poster (ChemEngtoMd), that guy was a real pain to watch and argue with and very annoying. But I think that only gets annoying in the MCAT forum because it usually involves scores and thus people bragging about what they got and sticking it in people's face. I try to stay professional but even I've been involved in a flame war with a liar who didn't and wouldn't use a search engine and said that I was condescending to everyone about using it. After that I just decided I would not get into that again. Then there was one time where someone tried to argue with me about MCAT studying and that I was in an ivory tower because I said that people should work hard and if they do then they'll get the score they deserve. It was the old "natural ability versus hard work" debate so I decided not to pursue it.

Entertained,

-LIS

Well I meant it more as if you work hard and practice the right way then you will get the score you deserve (i.e. the score you worked for). What I mean is what you actually honestly deserve, not the score you think you deserve or the score you want or hope for. Either way that wasn't his argument against it, his argument was that he had a lot of friends who worked hard and were struggling to get 30's so it was rude for me to say and I was speaking from an ivory tower. My argument was "well then your friends must not be studying properly" because I do believe honestly and whole-heartedly that if you practice properly and put the time and work in that you need to then there is no reason ANYONE can't get a 34 or above. The reason people actually don't is because they're lazy, simply don't have the time (have to work, family, school, etc..) or they don't put in the time to do their research on how to actually succeed in this exam. I mean look at the sheer number of people that start threads every week with questions that could be answered if they just spent a few hours reading all the stickies.

Hope this clarifies,

-LIS

Lol, i agree. I found Loukary's post entertaining. Some of the people back then flamed just for the fun of it but others were serious. I think if we're pursuing professional degrees, we definately shouldn't be flaming. Yes, we do get liars and trolls here and i just avoid them. I think those people feed off of replies and i just won't patronize. Sometimes i wish old Louk was here to put these people in their place.

Even though Loukary's posts were very entertaining, I hate when that happens in the MCAT forum. Those kinds of flame wars are better left in the Pre-Allo forum. I mean look at the latest Loukary-like poster (ChemEngtoMd), that guy was a real pain to watch and argue with and very annoying. But I think that only gets annoying in the MCAT forum because it usually involves scores and thus people bragging about what they got and sticking it in people's face. I try to stay professional but even I've been involved in a flame war with a liar who didn't and wouldn't use a search engine and said that I was condescending to everyone about using it. After that I just decided I would not get into that again. Then there was one time where someone tried to argue with me about MCAT studying and that I was in an ivory tower because I said that people should work hard and if they do then they'll get the score they deserve. It was the old "natural ability versus hard work" debate so I decided not to pursue it.

Entertained,

-LIS

Yes, we do get liars and trolls here and i just avoid them. I think those people feed off of replies and i just won't patronize. Sometimes i wish old Louk was here to put these people in their place.

Personally, I love a good troll from time to time. Not a shock troll (Howard Stern of the internet if you will), but like the guy in the pubic bone thread.

I wish I could find it, and I'm not 100% it's at SDN, but I recall reading an exchange where a troll claimed he was marrying his cousin because they were both geneticists and they had run all the data, so it was okay. It was a gut-buster. He kept on posting Punnett squares with these large and small mongoloid kids and saying that because of their diet, they couldn't get the lower right square, so it would be okay.

Sometimes you just need to laugh and let some steam off. As long as no one is mean, I tend to think certain flame and troll threads add to the place. The problem is that for every good one, there are 50 bad ones, and you can't have them ruin the site.

Wow, this thread sure spun off topic.

...I do believe honestly and whole-heartedly that if you practice properly and put the time and work in that you need to then there is no reason ANYONE can't get a 34 or above.

I have a monkey wrench for your crankshaft here. I concur that there are plenty of people with low scores that didn't put the time in that they should have. But there's another group to consider: the anxious folks. The people who put plenty of time in, but panic for some reason during the exam, lose their confidence, and then don't live up to their abilities or expectations. Those cases really tear at your heart as a teacher. It's almost always the incredibly sweet, hard working marathoner who starts to doubt themselves following one poor practice exam score despite stringing together several good exams before that. That voice of self doubt talks to them during their test and unfortunately they listen.

Confidence is huge on this exam. That confidence comes from natural ability in some cases, from doing tons and tons of passages in some cases, and from success on practice exams in some cases.

This could be a thread to itself I'm sure, so I'll zip it right now.

Even confidence, poise, and focus can be practiced. But I agree with you, once you get past the act of actually doing it, it's all mind games keeping you from the score you want.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I agree with pretty much all you said, I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just making general point about entitlement. I will point out that this is the crux of what you say is the key to success though...
I do believe honestly and whole-heartedly that if you practice properly and put the time and work in that you need to then there is no reason ANYONE can't get a 34 or above. The reason people actually don't is because they're lazy, simply don't have the time (have to work, family, school, etc..) or they don't put in the time to do their research on how to actually succeed in this exam.

I'm going to agree with yes, that is possible. But it's also impossible, because the very people who need to do that to succeed are the same people who don't have the ability to do those things to begin with. I know that's convoluted, but it's kind of a truism. Of course there's a reason plenty of people can't get a 34 or above. It's because they're "lazy, simply don't have the time...or they don't put in the time to do their research on how to actually succeed in this exam." You can't say that that's some secret, because it's impossible for that person for any combination of those reasons. They might not be able to admit it, but there's no difference in me saying "you don't have the ability to make a 36" and you saying "of course you could make a 36, you just have to not be lazy, have infinite time and do insightful research to correctly match your learning style and intellect to a content review/test strategy system." It's just two sides of the same coin. It's just not possible for anyone to make a 34+, even though making that score is due to the factors you mention. It's necessary, but it isn't sufficient.

Come to think of it, TBR is like honda - High resale value. Perhaps better than a honda. Heaven knows i'll get my money back when i'm done with my copies. I've seen them sell on ebay for more than the company sells them for and they go like hot cakes in the for sale forum here. I listed my honda on craigslist and i sold it an hour after the listing went up, cash in hand. i'm sure i'll sell my TBR books within minutes after i list them.
Consider it an investment;) And that's coming from someone who's risk averse.

if your trying to save money buy used TBR books, not pirated material...

I know Pons, I just saw an opportunity to make a point to clarify things and I took it. I tend to do that a lot, actually I think I'll do it again right now. I agree with what you said but it's more for that gem in the rough that has it but has held himself/herself back. I say it a lot and all the time because I was one of those students at one point in my life until I decided that I cared about my education and started taking responsibility for it.

At the same time though I'm going to disagree with you there on the impossibility part. It's never too late to change your ways and pull a 180. Yes it's going to be hard as crap and you'll probably have to work 100 times as hard as other people but it's possible if you want it bad enough. The question just boils down to "how bad do you want it" because if you want it bad enough you'll make yourself work hard, make time by making sacrifices, etc. until you get to where you want. Easier said than done.

You're right though, those things aren't a secret but they very often get overlooked/ignored.

Hope this clarifies,

-LIS

Hope this clarifies,

It does, and I appreciate the back and forth. "Impossible" isn't the right word, you're right. Just "nearly impossible". For every person like you, there are countless others who post something along these lines every day in the MCAT forums:

"I just got my scores back from the XX/XX/XX exam and I don't understand!! I made a 24P the first time, and I want to get into a really good MD program.This time I studies SOOOOO hard, all summer while not taking any classes to focus. Long story short, I made THE EXACT SAME SCORE?!?! What am I doing wrong? Should I get the TBR books and start using those instead of the EK books I memorized word-for-word this summer? Somebody tell me what to do."

For that person, it is NEARLY impossible to make a 36. That's the difference in where we're coming from. Again, thanks for the posts though.

dont forget the money aspect too... i mean, it may be an investment, but pretty sure that most of the people here come from a place that we CAN take off an entire summer to study AND buy all the materials at the time AND pay for the exam itself. you may want it really bad, but if you dont have the money and/or support system, its like 100000 times harder.

I'm always on the fence on the money thing because I grew up poor, still am poor and I think that most people shouldn't complain too much about the money. Don't get me wrong I'm the cheapest guy in the world and I hate spending any extra cents more than the next guy but considering how much you're going to spend on applications and medical school, this is a drop in the bucket. There might not even be any of those things if you're not willing to spend and get yourself into position to get what you need for the MCAT. Yes, spending $245 on AAMC tests is as close to a rape as you can get in the education world but there's nothing better so just swallow it.

I've had plenty of jobs in college and afterwards that I just didn't want to do but they were an ends to a mean so I sucked it up. I worked and volunteered during part of my studying for the MCAT and even though that's not ideal, (because I'd rather sip my coffee and be comfortable waking up at a regular time knowing I have the day to study) that's what I had to go through.

But yea, I get and agree with your point, no money is much harder but in the grand scheme of things its just another bump in the road. I think we're all just trying to get to the finish line.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I definitely agree Pons. If people did what they should then the average wouldn't be a 25 and would be closer to a 34 and it's not that high because that's just the way humans are and how our world works. Very few people do what they should or what's good for them and when they realize they didn't reach their goals, they end up regretting their decisions.

Good point,

-LIS

It does, and I appreciate the back and forth. "Impossible" isn't the right word, you're right. Just "nearly impossible". For every person like you, there are countless others who post something along these lines every day in the MCAT forums:

"I just got my scores back from the XX/XX/XX exam and I don't understand!! I made a 24P the first time, and I want to get into a really good MD program.This time I studies SOOOOO hard, all summer while not taking any classes to focus. Long story short, I made THE EXACT SAME SCORE?!?! What am I doing wrong? Should I get the TBR books and start using those instead of the EK books I memorized word-for-word this summer? Somebody tell me what to do."

For that person, it is NEARLY impossible to make a 36. That's the difference in where we're coming from. Again, thanks for the posts though.

If that person keeps their same approach and has always followed exactly what they are told works, then they are doomed. But I've seen some cases as you describe above a few years after they've had time to mature and discover that one size does not fit all do extremely well on the MCAT. They discover that it's about thinking more than memorizing, POE (process of elimination) more than POF (process of finding), they appreciate the test-taking tricks, and they basically attack the test in a much more pragmatic fashion. It doesn't happen often enough to make me think anyone can do it, but I've seen some pretty insane increases in MCAT score that started with a change in perspective.

I definitely agree Pons. If people did what they should then the average wouldn't be a 25 and would be closer to a 34 and it's not that high because that's just the way humans are and how our world works. Very few people do what they should or what's good for them and when they realize they didn't reach their goals, they end up regretting their decisions.

And therein lies the beauty of the MCAT. Great scores could mean innate genius, hard work and dedication, smart processing of information, and so on. All of those routes to a great score should in theory help the person do well in medical school and be a good doctor.

Not to change the topic yet again, but the thought of cost has popped up. This is one of those thnings that always seems to perplex me. Med school is in the $100K to $250K range all things considered. The application process with travel is in the $5K to $12K range. MCAT prep courses are $2K, other assistance can be $1K, and so on. People drop between $120K and $300K in becoming a doctor and simultaneously worry about ways to save $50. "Really?"

This thread started with someone talking about saving some money by getting an illegal version of the best review books out there, and saving $100 to $200 (not sure what price the thief was aksing for). You have someone suggesting buying used books to save money, which in the case of BR books may not even save you any money from buying them new. Used BR books are about the same price as new.

Why would anyone get used books and pay roughly the same (maybe save $20 to $50) and have writing and stains on their materials? The logic seems odd and fits the "penny wise and dollar foolish" adage. Just a random pet peeve that has been festering for a while.

I know the BR operations pretty well, and I see the time and effort they put into making their materials what they are--especially the chemistry and physics. I see what doesn't make the cut so that the final product is great. The pending physics book is a great example. For all of the passages you get and the amazing explanations with the best tips and information anywhere (and I mean by a long shot), they are a great value. Why try to save a few bucks, especially when they have resale value? Just a wild hair... please return to your regularly scheduled random thread on piracy, trolling, morality, ability to score well, and whatever else pops up.

Med school is in the $100K to $250K range all things considered. The application process with travel is in the $5K to $12K range. MCAT prep courses are $2K, other assistance can be $1K, and so on. People drop between $120K and $300K in becoming a doctor and simultaneously worry about ways to save $50. "Really?"

I think the short answer is that a bank will loan an accepted medical school applicant $300k at a low interest rate. It's not as easy to head down to your local Wells Fargo and take out a line of credit for an entrance exam. I totally agree with your logic, but it would be a mistake to go around accusing the average 20-yr old undergraduate student of financial wherewithal.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank the AAMC for FAP. In the premed world of going to club meetings of clubs you don't know the purpose of but they have free pizza which just saved you lunch and dinner money, FAP is much appreciated.