Buying Current AAMC Practice Tests for 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nervicited

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! (First post yay)

I've been wondering whether it's worth it to buy all the current AAMC practice tests and download/print them for later when I need additional practice. The AAMC site says that these tests will be discontinued after January 31, and I wouldn't want to miss out on any practice material when there's currently very little available. I realize that the 2015 MCAT will definitely be different, however I figure that these tests might still be good practice and could roughly gauge my progress.

Also, AAMC says under Coming Soon - Official MCAT Questions: "This new low-cost preparation product will be released early in 2015. These study questions will offer hundreds of MCAT questions from past preparation products that have been reclassified according to the MCAT2015 exam content...".

I'm wondering if 'past preparation products' means that they'll essentially be repackaging the current practice tests. I wouldn't want to spend so much money on the current AAMC practice tests if that's the case - I think all the practice tests add up to $245 and to also include the self assessment package (is it worth it?) that's $335 I think. I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be illogical of the AAMC to remove the current practice tests if they were going to be beneficial for those that are taking the new MCAT. In my opinion, they will not help you to gauge where you're at because they are adding and removing test material/question-types that would make your diagnostics faulty. I could be wrong, though!

edit: In other words, if you're going to use the old AAMC's to guide you in how prepared you are, that would be a bad idea... but for honing your test-taking skills, I'm sure it would be OK.

Last edited:
Hi! (First post yay)

I've been wondering whether it's worth it to buy all the current AAMC practice tests and download/print them for later when I need additional practice. The AAMC site says that these tests will be discontinued after January 31, and I wouldn't want to miss out on any practice material when there's currently very little available. I realize that the 2015 MCAT will definitely be different, however I figure that these tests might still be good practice and could roughly gauge my progress.

Also, AAMC says under Coming Soon - Official MCAT Questions: "This new low-cost preparation product will be released early in 2015. These study questions will offer hundreds of MCAT questions from past preparation products that have been reclassified according to the MCAT2015 exam content...".

I'm wondering if 'past preparation products' means that they'll essentially be repackaging the current practice tests. I wouldn't want to spend so much money on the current AAMC practice tests if that's the case - I think all the practice tests add up to $245 and to also include the self assessment package (is it worth it?) that's $335 I think. I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

I honestly wouldn't spend 335 on it...that is a lot of money that could be spend on other practice materials. Unless you or your dad is made of cash, I suppose. BTW, PDF copies of these exams are floating around in the interwebs. I'm sure you will be able to find them if you look hard enough.

I think it would be illogical of the AAMC to remove the current practice tests if they were going to be beneficial for those that are taking the new MCAT. In my opinion, they will not help you to gauge where you're at because they are adding and removing test material/question-types that would make your diagnostics faulty. I could be wrong, though!

edit: In other words, if you're going to use the old AAMC's to guide you in how prepared you are, that would be a bad idea... but for honing your test-taking skills, I'm sure it would be OK.
Yeah that's a good point. I guess I'm just concerned that there's only one fl AAMC test out ("Sample Test") and the second one ("Practice Test #1") is scheduled for release in the fall, which will be after I take the MCAT in August. I figured I might as well consider all possible ways to get as much practice as possible, but I suppose it might just be too different from the new MCAT to be of much use. Thanks for the advice.

I honestly wouldn't spend 335 on it...that is a lot of money that could be spend on other practice materials. Unless you or your dad is made of cash, I suppose. BTW, PDF copies of these exams are floating around in the interwebs. I'm sure you will be able to find them if you look hard enough.
I hope I didn't come off as snobby or something, I'm actually pretty tight with finances. I'm just making the exception for the MCAT since it's so important and I'd like to be able get as much practice as possible. But I guess the tests have a limited usefulness anyway, so as you said it doesn't seem like spending all that money would make sense. Maybe I'll see what I can find on the web. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that's a good point. I guess I'm just concerned that there's only one fl AAMC test out ("Sample Test") and the second one ("Practice Test #1") is scheduled for release in the fall, which will be after I take the MCAT in August. I figured I might as well consider all possible ways to get as much practice as possible, but I suppose it might just be too different from the new MCAT to be of much use. Thanks for the advice.

I hope I didn't come off as snobby or something, I'm actually pretty tight with finances. I'm just making the exception for the MCAT since it's so important and I'd like to be able get as much practice as possible. But I guess the tests have a limited usefulness anyway, so as you said it doesn't seem like spending all that money would make sense. Maybe I'll see what I can find on the web. Thanks for your input!

You didn't come off as snobby at all!! I am sorry if my post wrongly implied that. You are good. I totally understand the part about making an exception for the MCAT. If you had a friend who had taken the MCAT and used the practice tests before, they might lend you the PDFs (for free, etc).

I think they'll be reusing at least of the old practice test questions in the new mcat questions that they release soon

Nope! They just recycled the questions and added them to the "new packet." I'm using them and holding off until the end to take the one test they released. It's not like science has changed because the AAMC as decided to change the MCAT.

Yeah they took off all the old exams, but I'm sure they still exist somewhere.

I'm using them because I bought them a while ago, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether that's helpful or not.

They're helpful to understand the general format. The thing is, even in Physics/Chemistry, certain topics aren't tested at all anymore. For instance, I did a passage in AAMC 3 on Harmonics this morning and realized they had removed the topic completely for the 2015 exam.

Has AAMC provided a file that shows specifically which items were removed and added from the previous exam? (Probably not...) But if anyone knows of other topics that have been removed, please do share. Perhaps there's an existing SDN thread like this?

They're helpful to understand the general format. The thing is, even in Physics/Chemistry, certain topics aren't tested at all anymore. For instance, I did a passage in AAMC 3 on Harmonics this morning and realized they had removed the topic completely for the 2015 exam.

Has AAMC provided a file that shows specifically which items were removed and added from the previous exam? (Probably not...) But if anyone knows of other topics that have been removed, please do share. Perhaps there's an existing SDN thread like this?

I found this post helpful:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/2sbkb5/brief_guide_to_addedremoved_content_on_the/

Reactions: 1 user
Just took the official AAMC practice test! My scores:
Chem/Physical Sciences: 40/59...68%
Critical Analysis/VR: 43/53...81%
Bio/Biochemical Foundations: 38/59...64%
Psych/Soc/Behavioral Sciences: 46/59...78%

Are those good numbers? I take the test in June so I have a month to improve. Does anyone know if hose scores are competitive for md schools, or am I in do range? Good luck everyone!