Buying therapy tapes online...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidMind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So, I am seriously considering dropping 295 dollars on the 6 part ACT therapy videos found on psychotherapy.net. I have saved up some money, and I think these tapes could really help my budding therapist skills.

The problem is that i've never heard of this website before, and although I have scoured the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science website (ACT website), I have never heard of this ACT video collection before either. It is done by Dr. Hayes, so i'm assuming the videos are legitimate. That leads me to two questions: A. Have you guys heard of psychotherapy.net before, and if so is it a reputable website for buying therapy tapes? B. Do you think buying these tapes would be helpful and is it worth almost 300 dollars!!?

If you're curious, here is the link:
https://www.psychotherapy.net/video/steven-hayes-act

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that website but that DVD series is great! See if your university's library can get it with interlibrary loan if you just want to watch once and not buy it. My university actually owns that set so didn't need to get it via ILL but I have requested and gotten many other therapy videos via ILL.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'd second the recommendation for trying to go through the library first. Or heck, your university's clinic may be willing to buy it so that students can check it out to watch it (I believe our clinic director had CBT videos, for example).

I'd probably hold off on buying them for myself if at all possible until practicing, at which point you can likely write it off on your taxes (and at which point that's going to make more of a difference).

Members don't see this ad :)
You can probably find some videos on You Tube. Most psychology programs libraries have therapy tape you may checkout.

I have attended a number of ACT workshops and they are usually experiential based rather than didactic based training.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
I don't know that website but that DVD series is great! See if your university's library can get it with interlibrary loan if you just want to watch once and not buy it. My university actually owns that set so didn't need to get it via ILL but I have requested and gotten many other therapy videos via ILL.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'm glad to hear that you found those DVD's helpful! Thanks a lot for the advice guys, some great ideas. I'll definitely check with our clinical director and see if our program would consider getting them or loaning them out to us. I know most of the supervisors in my program have experience with ACT and are willing to supervise students with it, so maybe they would be more willing to purchase it!