By when do I have to complete my med school requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyRed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have to complete my pre-reqs by the time I apply to med school (junior year?) or can I finish them up during my senior year? I'm kind of falling behind in my calculus requirement... i've taken applied calculus unfortunately since my advisor didn't let me know that Calc I, II, and III are recommended. Sigh..

Also, when schools require 2 terms of a course, would that also apply to courses taken at a college using the quarter system or would i have to take one year's sequence to match the semester system?

Members don't see this ad.

You can finish them before you graduate... aka Senior Year. It is usually good to take them all before the MCAT however.

Oh, and Calculus is not a pre-req... and Calc II and III are completely useless unless you need them for your major/enjoy math. Some may argue even Calc I is unnecessary but I took Pre-Calc and Calc I and then stopped. I'm not a Math fan.

As long as they're done before you matriculate, you're ok.

However, the pre-reqs are useful when studying for the MCAT, so it's probably a good idea to be finished with them before then.

Members don't see this ad :)
All schools I'm aware of require prereqs before matriculation with one exception: Cornell requires by January.

Some require before application as well. Forgot which though. Many schools also "prefer" completion of prerequisites prior to application, but the strength of preference probably depends on your past performance.....