C- in orgo. Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

may1721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really struggled in chem. I got C+ in both semesters for gen chem. I got a C in orgo and C- in II. My grandpa was battling cancer, and later passed during second semester so school was pretty rough for me. I'm not saying that is the reason I got a C, but it did take away a lot of my focus. Despite that, I just gotta move on and make the best of my last year. However, since I'm a senior, the only time I could retake it is after I graduate and then I would be a non-degree seeking student.

Should I retake or take more upper level science courses to boost my undergrad GPA? I really regret how I handled college. My cGPA is okay, 3.3 but my science is much lower. Maybe if I did a year of post bacc classes, I could boost my GPA. Do you think it's possible to bring it to maybe a 3.5?

After graduation though I hope to get a research position at a university lab. That way I might even be able to get tuition reimbursement. Life after graduation is really stressing me out. :(

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to try a post-bac program for year or two if your science GPA is that low. Given your low GPA from undergrad, it would be imperative that you get almost all A's in your post-bac classes to prove to medical schools that you can handle large amounts of information and can make it through 4 strenuous years of medical school. Retaking one O-chem class will do little to boost your GPA and show you have what it takes for medical school.

How does the rest of your application look (EC's, shadowing, volunteering, MCAT)?

My friend had a 3.2 when he got Cs in both orgos after first year summer. He is now rising senior and has 3.6 overall. It can be done.

I have gotten C's in 4 classes, and I still have ~3.8, and yes, one of those Cs was in orgo. I would suggest don't retake, just work hard in next years and do well in biochem (thats what people suggested to me).