C+ in Physics2 , advice required urgently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishiningstar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished junior year at a tough top 10 school. Up until this semester I had a decent GPA, 3.7(c) 3.65(s).
I had a horrible past semester due to some family health reasons(not giving an excuse here).
I got my first C + in Physics2 and my first B- on another science elective (not prereq) . This has bombed my cGPA to a 3.6 and sGPA to a 3.56.
I got an A- in Physics1
I took the old MCAT and did not do as well as I had hoped, got a 13 on the PS though.

My question is should I retake Physics2 ?How bad is one C+ on a req premed course. I have only As and Bs on all other BCPM courses. I want to get into a decent MD school (mid-low tier is fine too) I am done with most of my science courses , only have biochem and another science elective left to take for my major. So I can bring up both my cGPA and sGPA to some extent next year. I am planning to apply at the end of senior year.

If I have to retake Physics2 I have to do it now over the summer, which will come in the way of the ECs I am planning on doing in the summer. I have to decide soon. Please advise esp. senior members and ADCOMs.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

No, one C+ is definitely not worth retaking. Focus your efforts elsewhere and study up for the MCAT.

There are a number of people every year who go to top 10 caliber undergraduate schools and end up at top 20 med schools with 3.6 undergraduate GPAs and you are worried about getting into a single med school because of one C+. Smh the SDN effect on people perfectly exhibited right here.

You're fine, if you are worried about your downward trend apply next year and do well this year. You're wasting time retaking anything below a C as posted above for MD purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A C+ isn't the end of the world. Chill out.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Womb Raider, not sure what you imply here

You're fine. I am at a top undergrad and I know people who have GPAs significantly (like 0.2) below yours that got into very solid medical schools with decent MCATs. If you're really worried, you could take (and do well in) an upper level class in the same department.

There are a number of p
eople every year who go to top 10 caliber undergraduate schools and end up at top 20 med schools with 3.6 undergraduate GPAs and you are worried about getting into a single med school because of one C+. Smh the SDN effect on people perfectly exhibited right here.

You're fine, if you are worried about your downward trend apply next year and do well this year. You're wasting time retaking anything below a C as posted above for MD purposes.
"You're wasting time retaking anything ABOVE a C..."

Fixed that for you.

I won't tell you not to freak out about a C, because I know myself well enough to know that I'd freak about a C, but I'll tell you what I'd tell myself - it absolutely will not end you. 3.6 is still a decent place to be as long as you can correct course and get back on track. Sorry to hear about your family - hope all turns out well and you can get backk to getting good grades.