C/O 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcatj

Mizzou c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that we're only a few weeks away from apps opening up, I thought I'd check in and see who's planning on applying this year and how far along everyone is. Has anyone finished their PS? Gotten all their recs squared away? Gaining some more fun experience before apps are due?
I've written 4 pages of junk for my PS, but haven't really made it remotely cohesive yet. That's the thing I'm most nervous about, I really have no idea what it's going to look like in the end...

Members don't see this ad.

So now that we're only a few weeks away from apps opening up, I thought I'd check in and see who's planning on applying this year and how far along everyone is. Has anyone finished their PS? Gotten all their recs squared away? Gaining some more fun experience before apps are due?
I've written 4 pages of junk for my PS, but haven't really made it remotely cohesive yet. That's the thing I'm most nervous about, I really have no idea what it's going to look like in the end...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: WONDERFUL ---> that's what it's going to look like :) good luck!

I was thinking that this needed to be started. You read my mind. Currently studying for the GRE, going to see ig I can raise my scores a little

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! 2017 thread!

I am a second time applicant, MD resident (was NC resident last app cycle). I am applying to NC State, VMRCVM again this year...and adding on Kansas, Illinois, Florida and Wisconsin. I have also looked at a few other schools but I am trying to be realistic about how much money I can spend on the app/potential interview process. My biggest issue last year was my GRE score, so I am actually studying this time :D:D and I am waiting to see if my employer will cover a GRE prep course if I can manage to squeeze it in before taking it. I am going to spend WAAAY more time working on and reviewing my VMCAS app than I did last year. I am so excited to apply again!!! :xf:

I'm a first time applicant, recently became a FL resident. I have a decent amount of experience hours (worked in SA hospital for 2 years, assisted on equine research projects for 5 semesters, 2 semesters of LA handling, raising blind guide dogs, and something I'm really excited about is having about 20 hours and counting volunteering at a wolf conservation!) My GPA is a little lower than average, so I'm hoping that between my higher than avg GRE, my experience, and a killer PS that I've revised about 12 times now I can spark someones interest and be given a chance!!

I love that you raised guide dogs! :love:

I'm taking one guide dog in training for two months this summer and then am getting my first puppy in the fall!

:love:

Excuse me while I :barf:. No seriously, this is so exciting for you guys! I just can't believe that I was in your shoes last year this time, freaking out about applications and whether or not I was going to go to vet school.

Remember if you need help with your PS, there is a thread of eager volunteers waiting to read and critique!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Dang you guys are up on it this year, huh. ;p

Good luck everyone!

I'm so happy to see this thread! Good luck to everybody :) I'm a first-time applicant (also FL resident like EdinBelle). I almost applied last year, so seeing the application and going through some of the process last year makes this year much less daunting. I have a first draft done of my PS, but I know it's going to change a lot before any ad coms see it.

First time applicant here, too. I took my GRE about a week ago, and I really want to never take it again. My unofficial math and verbal scores looked good, so hopefully that works out. As for my personal statement, I had to have a draft for a mock interview at my school, but the pre-professional counselor didn't like the way I'd done it (I focused on one story and she wanted me to give a broader picture of myself) so I have to start all over.

This summer I'm doing an internship abroad at an equine hospital in Ireland! I'm leaving in a week, and I'm super excited.

Wahoo there are already more Florida applicants for 2017 on here than there are in the (SDN) FL 2016 class lol! Please let me know if you have any questions about FL in particular! Best of luck !!

VMCAS has got to be opening in a couple of weeks, yeah?

jeez where does the time go??

Yeah I think it was June 6th or something last year?? Its amazing how quickly time passes. I feel like this app cycle isn't even over yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you guys will only be 2 years behind me but I'm feeling a bit old since I started lurking on this forum during the 2013 application cycle and now there is a 2017 thread. Oh boy.

It'll be a long year but you guys have worked hard and I'm thinking great thoughts for all of you!!

Good luck 2017ers!!! :luck:

This thread makes me very happy that I am not having to fill out another application. :D
It also makes me feel a little old since I started on sdn during my first application cycle for the class of 2014.

Last edited:
This thread is stressing me out...

But hello everyone! I'm planning on applying this cycle!

Best of luck to the 2017ers!

I start undergrad this fall. X3

You all got this!

OMG seeing this thread makes me want to :barf: I am also a FL resident - Woo!! There's a lot of us!

Every time I try to start my PS, I delete it all and start over; I haven't taken the GRE yet; I technically have no small animal vet experience(although my Equine vet experience is a-mazing IMO :laugh:); I'm trying to solidify my second vet LOR...

I feel like I am no where near prepared to even think about applying this cycle...but I am!! :love:

I think Squirrels started 2016's thread back in January last year, so it's never too early. I'm with heylodeb and DVMDream: this thread makes me feel old. Original member of the c/o 2014 thread.

Yay for this thread. This is my third time applying, hopefully I get in this time. I have started numerous outlines and rough drafts of my PS, nothinge cohesive yet though. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

I think Squirrels started 2016's thread back in January last year, so it's never too early. I'm with heylodeb and DVMDream: this thread makes me feel old. Original member of the c/o 2014 thread.

I did :D. Always a little early for everything, but that's OK. Happy to see the 2017ers are getting rolling and I wish you all the best of luck. For me, June of 2011 seems like forever ago.

I did :D. Always a little early for everything, but that's OK. Happy to see the 2017ers are getting rolling and I wish you all the best of luck. For me, June of 2011 seems like forever ago.

I believe that thread freaked me the eff out.

I can't believe this is already happening!!!! Woohoo guys!

No worries, I'm about in the same boat as you are. I'm essentially doing all of my veterinary hours this summer and I haven't even begun to think about my PS yet. I'm pretty sure the app opens on June 7th.

Yay! Finally a 2017 thread. :) I hate to think that I'm applying a 2nd time, but here I am. I raised my GPA a lot, and I'm working on getting more experience this summer! :D I'll be taking the GRE again soon, and I might take the MCAT just to experience it once. So far, I know I am applying to VMRCVM, Cornell, Michigan, Ohio, Mississippi, and Auburn. I am thinking about applying to Tennessee, NC, Florida, Colorado, and Kansas. I plan to redo my personal statement, but I'm waiting until later in the summer to finish it. I still have a few more file reviews I need to do with schools, but so far, it seems like I've already fixed/am fixing my problem areas.

I like applying to various schools because they all look at you different, and it really helped with file reviews this year. This cycle, one of my goals is to apply to a school that sends out acceptances early and one that interviews earlier in the cycle. Good luck everyone! I plan to set-up my account the minute the application opens and get through as much of it as I can that night. :laugh:

OMG seeing this thread makes me want to :barf: I am also a FL resident - Woo!! There's a lot of us!

Every time I try to start my PS, I delete it all and start over; I haven't taken the GRE yet; I technically have no small animal vet experience(although my Equine vet experience is a-mazing IMO :laugh:); I'm trying to solidify my second vet LOR...

I feel like I am no where near prepared to even think about applying this cycle...but I am!! :love:

I think you should apply if you meet the requirements...you never know. Plenty of people get in with low hours. You always have a shot! The worst that will happen is you hear a no so just keep building your resume and hours in case you are applying again next year. Best of luck! :D

I was wondering when this thread would appear! :D

1st time applicant. Doing research all summer and getting some more vet hours as a volunteer. Already started my PS, but it's realllly rough right now. Looking forward to starting GRE classes in two weeks! :cool:

Good luck to all of us!

I figure this thread helps a lot of the lurkers come out of the woodwork! So glad to see so many people ready to go!
I'm planning on applying to Mizzou, Wisconsin, Ohio, Tufts, Illinois and maybe Iowa and NC. I think the hardest thing has been trying to decide what schools I want to apply to. Finally decided I was just going to try for the cheapest schools (with the exception of Tufts) and that made the selection process a lot easier. Just about peed myself with excitement this morning because I swore Ohio required Orgo lab as a pre-req, but in fact they don't. My best friend is doing her phd there so I would definitely not complain about going there. I'm really hoping to get in on my first try, but we'll see.
I hate the fact that starting next month I am going to be an absolute crazy person for nearly a year. I'm not looking forward to that...
Forgot to mention that I was way over prepared and took the GRE in January. It went particularly well which was fantastic. I would NOT be pleased if I had to re-take it.

YAY 2017 Thread!!!! We can all go crazy together! @wildcatj you're definitely right about crawling out of the woodwork!

So I am reapplying this year. This past year I got weightlisted at KSU (who knows, :xf: ? just kidding, thats probably not going to happen!) I'm trying to narrow down where I'm applying this time, but atm I feel the need to cast a wide WIDE net. So wide, it goes international!
Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Florida, Auburn, Missouri, Minnesota, Washington? The list gets longer, but I'm still in the narrowing it down stage. I'm also thinking maybe Massey, Edinburgh, etc etc. My not applying to list is much more definite!

As far as my PS goes... **shakes like a Chihuahua**... I've been taking a lot of notes from the threads haha! I'm basically throwing out my old one (don't want to talk about it ) and starting from a fresh perspective.

Good luck everyone!! and Thanks to all the well-wishers!

YAY 2017 Thread!!!! We can all go crazy together! @wildcatj you're definitely right about crawling out of the woodwork!

So I am reapplying this year. This past year I got weightlisted at KSU (who knows, :xf: ? just kidding, thats probably not going to happen!) I'm trying to narrow down where I'm applying this time, but atm I feel the need to cast a wide WIDE net. So wide, it goes international!
Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Florida, Auburn, Missouri, Minnesota, Washington? The list gets longer, but I'm still in the narrowing it down stage. I'm also thinking maybe Massey, Edinburgh, etc etc. My not applying to list is much more definite!

As far as my PS goes... **shakes like a Chihuahua**... I've been taking a lot of notes from the threads haha! I'm basically throwing out my old one (don't want to talk about it ) and starting from a fresh perspective.

Good luck everyone!! and Thanks to all the well-wishers!
Try RVC as well! Glasgow is an option if you'd be willing to do a 5 year program. Massey has a 4.5 or 5 year program. RVC and Edinburgh both have 4 or 5 year programs.

Ohmigosh okay!! I'll look at those asap! The thought of going abroad and going to vet school at the same time is just too awesome!

Ohmigosh okay!! I'll look at those asap! The thought of going abroad and going to vet school at the same time is just too awesome!
It's definitely what I've always wanted. PM me if you'd like a link to my vet school blog. That way you can get an idea of what to expect from Edinburgh. If you're interested, I also have an awesome RVC blog that I follow. The author is also on SDN. :)

I was wondering when this thread would appear! :D

1st time applicant. Doing research all summer and getting some more vet hours as a volunteer. Already started my PS, but it's realllly rough right now. Looking forward to starting GRE classes in two weeks! :cool:

Good luck to all of us!

Oh, GRE classes. I did those, and I hated it. Of course, a large part of that was that I was doing it online.

I'm applying to 5 schools: LSU (in state), Missouri, UPenn, Cornell, and Virginia. That's more or less my order of preference, too. ;)

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to be a part of this group or if I'm waiting to apply until next year. If I do apply, the list would probably be Va-Md, Ohio State, Iowa State, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois. Cornell, Tufts, Penn would all be maybes, partly because of cost.

Or I may just end up applying to Va-Md and maybe one other this year in a low-stress-type fashion (if that's possible...?).

Should probably get on decided on when I'm applying sooner rather than later though, in any case.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to be a part of this group or if I'm waiting to apply until next year. If I do apply, the list would probably be Va-Md, Ohio State, Iowa State, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois. Cornell, Tufts, Penn would all be maybes, partly because of cost.

Or I may just end up applying to Va-Md and maybe one other this year in a low-stress-type fashion (if that's possible...?).

Should probably get on decided on when I'm applying sooner rather than later though, in any case.

Apply! I didn't think I was going to this time last year, decided to suck it up and apply one place anyway, and I'm starting vet school in the fall. :D

It's definitely what I've always wanted. PM me if you'd like a link to my vet school blog. That way you can get an idea of what to expect from Edinburgh. If you're interested, I also have an awesome RVC blog that I follow. The author is also on SDN. :)

Shortnsweet has a blog about her experiences in Glasgow if you want one from that school to read.

And good luck everyone!!!

The thought of applying still freaks me out a little; I still have so much to do.

I have a couple different ideas for my personal statement, but I still have to start writing it out. I'm also studying for the GRE which I'm taking in a few months, and I'm trying to get some sort of large animal veterinary experience before I apply.

I'm going to apply to Penn, Ohio, and Missouri for sure, but I might apply to a few more (possibly VMRCVM and Tufts).

Good luck everyone!

The thought of applying still freaks me out a little; I still have so much to do.

I have a couple different ideas for my personal statement, but I still have to start writing it out. I'm also studying for the GRE which I'm taking in a few months, and I'm trying to get some sort of large animal veterinary experience before I apply.

I'm going to apply to Penn, Ohio, and Missouri for sure, but I might apply to a few more (possibly VMRCVM and Tufts).

Good luck everyone!

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even decide to apply until early June of last year. Hadn't even taken a GRE or had a single eLOR requested and I got it done. I am NOT suggesting you do this, but just try and relax and get done what you need to. You will be fine! :luck::xf:

Good luck everyone!

I didn't even start filling out the application until august or september last year. I had quite a few medical things going on that I was resolving but I still had plenty of time to get it all completed. I don't suggest doing this but just so you know. No need to panic yet. :)

Excuse me while I :barf:. No seriously, this is so exciting for you guys! I just can't believe that I was in your shoes last year this time, freaking out about applications and whether or not I was going to go to vet school.

Remember if you need help with your PS, there is a thread of eager volunteers waiting to read and critique!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Right there with you, so glad I do not have to go through that torture again! Like it was said if you guys need help with your PS there is a whole thread of people signed up to help. Just make sure you get it to people before August, school starts then and people get busy.

Good luck everyone!

I pretty much did everything last minute. It's a VERRRRY long process, so don't get too freaked out so soon! Write a few drafts for your ps statement, have any of us on that thread or any friends look at it, talk to the vets you know about ethical problems. Pretty much the last piece of advice was all I followed. :D

New to SDN and applying to Okstate IS for the first time!

I can't stop being excited about this thread and I don't even know why?!?! Maybe because I don't have to deal with an application for a second time :laugh:, but I think its mostly because I'm excited for more people's dreams to come true! :love:

I can't stop being excited about this thread and I don't even know why?!?! Maybe because I don't have to deal with an application for a second time :laugh:, but I think its mostly because I'm excited for more people's dreams to come true! :love:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I love it when awesome people get into vet school!

I read the title and like "oh hey! That's me!" lol I'm a re-applier this year. Dang it for being a NV resident! No IS!!
grumble.gif
Anywho!! I haven't started my PS per se but I have a little notebook that I've been carrying around that had a very choppy, terrible version in there. Going a completely different version since I reread mine from last year, and while well written, was super stiff and uber formal and nothing like me at all. Anyway, I am constantly stressed about this! AAHHHHH!!!
faint2.gif
chillpill.gif

I read the title and like "oh hey! That's me!" lol I'm a re-applier this year. Dang it for being a NV resident! No IS!!
grumble.gif
Anywho!! I haven't started my PS per se but I have a little notebook that I've been carrying around that had a very choppy, terrible version in there. Going a completely different version since I reread mine from last year, and while well written, was super stiff and uber formal and nothing like me at all. Anyway, I am constantly stressed about this! AAHHHHH!!!
faint2.gif
chillpill.gif

No in state for me either. I feel your pain!

No in state for me either. I feel your pain!

I am a MD resident, so VMRCVM is my "in state"...as awful as it sounds, I have no enthuasium about it being my IS. I cant explain it...I dont like the location, the facility, the lack of ANYTHING to do with exotics. What a silly thing to be upset about? Even the website annoys me. Whats wrong with me??? :confused::confused: