c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dalmatiandoc17

Ohio State c/o 2018!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a bit early to make :oops:, but I'm already in "application" (well choosing schools) mode. So I figured the hopeful class of 2018 can start posting their experiences and questions and what not!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here :) Learning as much as I can about the application process has been close to an obsession the past few weeks :p Good luck to all c/o 2018 applicants! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
SO excited about this thread!! 57 days or something till the application becames available :D i have a countdown on my phone!!

This was supposed to be my first application but I'm kind of happy not to be stressing about this anymore. haha

Good luck to everyone though! :luck: :love:

This was supposed to be my first application but I'm kind of happy not to be stressing about this anymore. haha

Good luck to everyone though! :luck: :love:

I haven't been following SDN much as of late, but PP, are you still applying to vet school?

So excited for you guys. I was in your exact position last April and can't believe I am planning on starting in August. Good luck to everyone!!

Same here :) Learning as much as I can about the application process has been close to an obsession the past few weeks :p Good luck to all c/o 2018 applicants! :)
We are the same! I may have *cough* ignored school more than I should to research applying. :p

So excited for you guys. I was in your exact position last April and can't believe I am planning on starting in August. Good luck to everyone!!
Ahh! I can only hope that I (and other SDNers!) are in that position in a year! Congrats to you :D

I'm with you guys! Super excited, and super anxious for the applications to open!!

Have you guys narrowed down your list of schools you're actually applying to yet? OSU is my dream school, but I have 8 "back ups" and I can't apply to all of them (financially) so I'm still trying to narrow it down!!

I'm with you guys! Super excited, and super anxious for the applications to open!!

Have you guys narrowed down your list of schools you're actually applying to yet? OSU is my dream school, but I have 8 "back ups" and I can't apply to all of them (financially) so I'm still trying to narrow it down!!

I am applying to KSU only. I will only be a junior and it is where I am at for undergrad :love:

Members don't see this ad :)

Is that Ohio or Oregon?

I've been going back and forth on my list on what to narrow down as well. I am 100% sure I'm applying to NCSU (my ISS), MSU, OhioSU, and KSU.

I was hoping to apply to 6, and my list is currently at 10. My mother (who I am lucky enough to have help me) would prefer I do more because we both agree it would be better to get in the first time than have to apply again. But I don't want to saddle her with a giant application fee, especially if I don't get in anyways. :scared:

All in all I'm trying to do a list of places that either I really want to go to or think I can get in to (preferably both!).

Is that Ohio or Oregon?

I've been going back and forth on my list on what to narrow down as well. I am 100% sure I'm applying to NCSU (my ISS), MSU, OhioSU, and KSU.

I was hoping to apply to 6, and my list is currently at 10. My mother (who I am lucky enough to have help me) would prefer I do more because we both agree it would be better to get in the first time than have to apply again. But I don't want to saddle her with a giant application fee, especially if I don't get in anyways. :scared:

All in all I'm trying to do a list of places that either I really want to go to or think I can get in to (preferably both!).

OhioSU :) As a native Ohioan, there is no other OSU than Ohio ;)

Ohio is as mid-west as I feel I would be happy in, especially because I don't have much interest in farm animal medicine (nothing against it, I grew up on a farm and I love farm animals, that's just not the specialty I want to go into). Plus I hate cold, so most of the schools I'm looking at are south :)

Is that Ohio or Oregon?

Nothing wrong with applying to a few, but yes, be warned it adds up fast. Besides application fees, traveling and lodging for interviews are what can really get you. Just try to be sure before you commit the time and money to apply somewhere that you'll be happy going there (consider how you would feel if it was the only place you got accepted).

Hey guys, don't forget to look at Mizzou :) a friend told me to check them out and I fell in love with their program!! And they are pretty cheap too!! I can't wait to start this fall! :D

Hey guys, don't forget to look at Mizzou :) a friend told me to check them out and I fell in love with their program!! And they are pretty cheap too!! I can't wait to start this fall! :D

I will second that and not just because I'm attending next year :D. They have a really awesome program with 2 years class then 2 years clinics, you can get in state residency after first year and they are 3rd or 4th cheapest OOS tuition. I think according to the google doc justavet put together (it's in the estimated costs of vet school thread if anyone hasn't seen it) that Mizzou is more expensive than Wisconsin, but I did some calculations and Mizzou is actually 5-10k cheaper with cost of living adjusted. Mizzou gives you way more money for cost of living but it's actually much cheaper to live in Columbia than Madison.

I had the option to choose between Ohio, Wisconsin and Mizzou (plus possibly Oregon and Iowa had I opted to stay on the waitlist) and chose Mizzou.

I decided to apply to Western and UF. I've heard great things about both schools and I'm really excited to get the chance to apply. Already practicing interview questions :p

We are the same! I may have *cough* ignored school more than I should to research applying. :p

Haha! Same here. Learning about vet schools is so much more interesting than Physics :p

not sure I'm ready for round two yet, feels like I just got done with the stress of last cycle! I'm taking a few trips right after graduation though so I think that will give me a nice break before I start up with the stress again. Currently thinking about only applying to my IS and dream school... which is a bit scary but relieving at the same time knowing I can focus on just the two. Anyways, good luck everyone!

Hello, fellow 2018 hopefuls! :)

I'll be applying for my first cycle this year and I'm extremely (and equally) nervous and excited. I'm trying to narrow down my list while still giving myself the best chance possible for admission. I don't have a lot of hope for this cycle since my cGPA and sciGPA are pretty low. I'm going to try to sell myself as best as I can and apply smart. :) Maybe my interest in epidemiology and having a Master's to back that up will help me to stand out. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :scared:

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Nothing wrong with applying to a few, but yes, be warned it adds up fast. Besides application fees, traveling and lodging for interviews are what can really get you. Just try to be sure before you commit the time and money to apply somewhere that you'll be happy going there (consider how you would feel if it was the only place you got accepted).
Thanks for the advice! :) The money is an issue, but I'm hoping I can be lucky enough to get into an earlier school so that I do not have to interview everywhere that offers me one (if they even do! :xf:)

They are on my list to narrow down. But they keep looking better and better!

Thanks for the advice! :) The money is an issue, but I'm hoping I can be lucky enough to get into an earlier school so that I do not have to interview everywhere that offers me one (if they even do! :xf:)

I'm sure you'll get some. And though it's a small factor to consider in the long run, there are some schools that don't do interviews, or only interview IS applicants. Far from the only reason I chose where I did, but I definitely considered it a bonus that I only had to interview at 3 out of my 5.

I only applied to 3 and my strategy wasn't based on travel, but I choose Ohio, Wisconsin, and Tennessee mostly because they were recommended by vets that I knew or were really cheap (Wisconsin) bit also because their interview/acceptance plans were spaced out. I choose it to keep the hope alive a little longer if I got rejected from somewhere, but it could also be a good strategy for planning schools to apply to based on traveling to interviews. Ohio lets people know early (at least they used to, I'm not sure if they were the first to let people know or not this year because there were a ton more applicants) and interviews early. Wisconsin there is no interview and they usually notify sometime in Feb. I think? Then Tennessee doesn't interview people until March. If you look at general interview times, you could try and pick some that interview at different times or don't interview.

Before applying, make sure it would be a school you would actually attend. Last year, I applied to Tennessee and mid December while waiting to hear from Ohio and thinking I was rejected and knowing Wisconsin was a long shot, I started to really consider Tennessee and I think I would have ended up turning them down if I was accepted there, just because of the massive difference in tuition. So, really consider the option, not just the school. If it's gonna cost significantly more, would you go there?

Unless I get off the waitlist, I'll be reapplying.

I'm definitely going to be applying to Mizzou and Ohio. My maybe list at the moment is Penn (my IS, but I honestly couldn't see myself going there if I had other options), Oklahoma, NCSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Purdue.

I'm definitely going to second squirrels though. I applied to Tennessee last year because their interviews are so late and because I figured that I would have a chance with them they weight the math and physical science GPA highly and look at the analytical writing section of the GRE. Plus, I didn't think they would be that much more expensive then my IS (which I'm not crazy about paying for either).

As the cycle went on though, I decided that while I think Tennessee is a great school, I would rather take my chances and apply again next year by potentially getting into a cheaper school. I ended up not even going to the interview, but I could have saved on application fees.

is anyone else unlucky enough to be applying OOS everywhere? my list is currently at around 10 because i'm so scared being OOS everywhere just means i'm not going to get in anywhere!

glad this thread's up!

i'm joining the club! finally applying for my first time this year. super excited and nervous!

also, i'm asking a professor today for a letter of recommendation. holy nervous!

is anyone else unlucky enough to be applying OOS everywhere? my list is currently at around 10 because i'm so scared being OOS everywhere just means i'm not going to get in anywhere!

glad this thread's up!

NJ resident over here! That is why I chose an undergrad with a vet school.. Hope it pays off!

I'm sure you'll get some. And though it's a small factor to consider in the long run, there are some schools that don't do interviews, or only interview IS applicants. Far from the only reason I chose where I did, but I definitely considered it a bonus that I only had to interview at 3 out of my 5.

Ah, sorry I didn't mean to sound unconfident, I just don't want to jinx myself :rolleyes:

And unfortunately my in state doesn't have an interview. Or maybe fortunately. But if figures that the interview that would be easiest/cheapest to do doesn't apply to me :p

also, i'm asking a professor today for a letter of recommendation. holy nervous!
:luck::luck::luck:

I have an ISS, but I don't think I can get in there. So I understand your fear.

I started to really consider Tennessee and I think I would have ended up turning them down if I was accepted there, just because of the massive difference in tuition. So, really consider the option, not just the school. If it's gonna cost significantly more, would you go there?
I completely understand this, but am I the only one who feels I would go wherever will take me? I know that the high tuition cost may not be the smartest choice I ever make, but I will be in debt either way and there's no telling if I would ever get in somewhere cheaper.

I've finally narrowed my list down to 7 schools. I'm pretty sure this will be the "final" list. Who knows, I'm always obsessing over it and second guessing myself, hah. I definitely have to admit, though, that my first application cycle was a good learning experience. I've already made tons of little notes on what to change in my "Experiences" section!

My current list: Davis (my ISS), Wazzu, CSU (if I decide to obtain residency), Ohio, NC State (2nd top choice), Wisconsin, and Cornell (1st choice. Not idea COA-wise, but my bf is going to grad school in NYC and I want to be as close to him as possible).

Finally applying this year. Really nervous and excited. :D

glad this thread's up!

i'm a New Mexico resident. applying for all the wiche schools (csu, wsu, oregon) but all others on my list are OOS tuition.

i'm a New Mexico resident. applying for all the wiche schools (csu, wsu, oregon) but all others on my list are OOS tuition.

This may be a stupid question (or a really important one that I'm going to feel stupid for asking) but what does "wiche" mean? I keep seeing it, but I'm not sure what its referring to....

I could use some help narrowing down my list guys.....
So, here are the schools on my list...some I realize are probably out of my grasp, but I'm waiting until I take the GRE to knock them off my list:

OhioSU (my ISS) UGA, Auburn, Washington State, VMRCVM, UC Davis, Purdue, OregonSU

My stats are: 3.38 cGPA (yes, I know, its on the lower end)
5 years in a medical research laboratory working 20-30 hours a week.
Showing dogs in Agility, conformation, and agility since since I was 10 (so, 12 years)
Running my own business where I would train, condition, and present dogs in conformation.
Fostering puppy mill rescues
3yrs horse back riding lessons
at the time of my app ~300 SA shadowing hours
~100 equine shadowing hours
~100 research animal shadowing hours

and yes, I've posted in the "what are my chances?" thread and gotten positive feedback, but I finding it hard to narrow down what schools I have a real chance at based on my stats......any opinions from my short list would be appreciated :) I suppose others are okay too, but I do not want to go to the "true" midwest (I don't count OH and IN as the "real" midwest, I count that as KS/MO, etc) and I don't want to go out of country.....

This may be a stupid question (or a really important one that I'm going to feel stupid for asking) but what does "wiche" mean? I keep seeing it, but I'm not sure what its referring to....

It stands for Western Interstate Commision for Higher Education. It essentially allows students from western states with no (insert professional school type) schools to attend a participating school and pay in-state tuition. You don't automatically qualify, though--it's extremely competitive.

It stands for Western Interstate Commision for Higher Education. It essentially allows students from western states with no (insert professional school type) schools to attend a participating school and pay in-state tuition. You don't automatically qualify, though--it's extremely competitive.

Ah!! Thanks!! You have absolved my curiosity on the matter :)

So, here are the schools on my list...some I realize are probably out of my grasp, but I'm waiting until I take the GRE to knock them off my list:

OhioSU (my ISS) UGA, Auburn, Washington State, VMRCVM, UC Davis, Purdue, OregonSU

My stats are: 3.38 cGPA (yes, I know, its on the lower end)
5 years in a medical research laboratory working 20-30 hours a week.
Showing dogs in Agility, conformation, and agility since since I was 10 (so, 12 years)
Running my own business where I would train, condition, and present dogs in conformation.
Fostering puppy mill rescues
3yrs horse back riding lessons
at the time of my app ~300 SA shadowing hours
~100 equine shadowing hours
~100 research animal shadowing hours

and yes, I've posted in the "what are my chances?" thread and gotten positive feedback, but I finding it hard to narrow down what schools I have a real chance at based on my stats......any opinions from my short list would be appreciated :) I suppose others are okay too, but I do not want to go to the "true" midwest (I don't count OH and IN as the "real" midwest, I count that as KS/MO, etc) and I don't want to go out of country.....
I would take out UGA as they only accept 2-3 out of state students and those students are usually 4.0 students. I would take out UCDavis because they it is difficult to get into as an out of state student useless you are an exceptional applicant. I would also take out Auburn. After they accepted me at Auburn they told me that they didn't interview any out of state students under a 3.5 GPA. The rest of your list looks decent. Let me know if you have any questions about Ohio State, I will most likely be attending OSU this fall! I still have to choose btw schools.

You're an Ohio resident? I wouldn't advise applying to UGA. They are very selective for OOS applicants because they take so few. It's not impossible, but to be realistic, I highly doubt you would be admitted there.

I'm tempted to say that GPA might make VMR a little tough as an OOS, but it's doable. Make sure you do very well on your GRE.

I would take out UGA as they only accept 2-3 out of state students and those students are usually 4.0 students. I would take out UCDavis because they it is difficult to get into as an out of state student useless you are an exceptional applicant. I would also take out Auburn. After they accepted me at Auburn they told me that they didn't interview any out of state students under a 3.5 GPA. The rest of your list looks decent. Let me know if you have any questions about Ohio State, I will most likely be attending OSU this fall! I still have to choose btw schools.

Is this a new policy at Auburn? Because I know I had a friend interview there last year who had at the most a 3.2 GPA. He didn't get accepted, but still interviewed.

I'm not sure... That's just what they told me. Maybe they had more applicants this year and needed a cut off... I know a lot of schools had record breaking applications, Auburn probably did too

I'm not sure... That's just what they told me. Maybe they had more applicants this year and needed a cut off... I know a lot of schools had record breaking applications, Auburn probably did too

Can't say if it's true, but I heard that as well. Chatted with a couple folks who had applied to Auburn when at interviews for other schools.

Ohio is as mid-west as I feel I would be happy in, especially because I don't have much interest in farm animal medicine (nothing against it, I grew up on a farm and I love farm animals, that's just not the specialty I want to go into).

Keep in mind that you will still have to learn about, handle and work with large animals no matter where you attend. I don't think attending a school in the midwest will make you any less prepared to be a small animal person than one that isn't in a hugely agricultural area.

I would remove UGA and UC Davis from your list because they take so few OOS applicants. VMR is heavily numbers oriented but if you can rock the GRE and build your experience it should be helpful.

I applied for Calgary this year, but didn't get an interview. I was crushed, but I've picked myself up and have been doing school research and getting excited for the next cycle. I'll be applying to Calgary again next year, and if I don't get in I'm going to write the GRE next summer and apply to a few US schools. My list at the moment is Oregon State, Iowa State, and Kansas State, all of those put more emphasis on recent/higher level work and have half-decent international tuition. I'm excited to see this thread since I'm sure I'll have questions especially as I try to figure out the US system!

I was accepted to Auburn as an OOS and I had a little under a 3.5 GPA at the time (now I do have higher than that). However, I had higher than average GRE scores that I think helped me out. I think they looked at that as well, so I wouldn't take Auburn off your list just yet. They accept a decent amount of OOS students, so that could still be a good choice to apply to if you do well on the GRE!

Maybe 2 more years and then everyone can apply to UGA too. haha No love for my school because of the low number of OOS seats right now. :laugh: