C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got Verified yesterday. Submitted on Sept 29th. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey any one apply to Ohio State?? How long did it take you to received their supplemental app after being verified on VMCAS??

Hey any one apply to Ohio State?? How long did it take you to received their supplemental app after being verified on VMCAS??
I applied to Ohio, I'm waiting on the supplemental too. I think someone in the OSU thread said it takes about a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Ohio, I'm waiting on the supplemental too. I think someone in the OSU thread said it takes about a week.
Okay so we should have enough time before the deadline on Oct 31! Good!

About a week seems right.... I got the Ohio supplemental 6 days after VMCAS verification

So I am still waiting for my VMCAS to verify and I check the site way more than I probably should. Today I clicked on the preview application for one my schools and one of the institutions I entered on my app never showed up on any of the application previews. I called VMCAS just before they closed today and the guy I spoke with told me it was okay and it would show up when the verification process was over. It sounded like a sketchy let me get off the phone its Friday night answer and I think I'm making myself feel sick because of how long it took to work on that thing. The institutions you list should show up, that is a normal assumption to make, right??

So I am still waiting for my VMCAS to verify and I check the site way more than I probably should. Today I clicked on the preview application for one my schools and one of the institutions I entered on my app never showed up on any of the application previews. I called VMCAS just before they closed today and the guy I spoke with told me it was okay and it would show up when the verification process was over. It sounded like a sketchy let me get off the phone its Friday night answer and I think I'm making myself feel sick because of how long it took to work on that thing. The institutions you list should show up, that is a normal assumption to make, right??
I would think so....if you entered it, it will be on there. Just wait for it to be verified. They got a transcript from that institution so they'll put it in....I submitted on 9/29 and just got verified yesterday. They'll send u a message through vmcas (which gets forwarded to my email), so you don't have to check vmcas constantly! Although I know it's hard! You'll get an email! :) it'll get verified!

Reactions: 1 users
As long as VMCAS received the transcripts from that institution, you will be fine. Maybe they needed to change something so it's not showing up temporarily. I wouldn't get too sick about it yet! I feel confident that will get worked out.

You guys are probably right, it just nerves are on edge until the schools actually get the application. Yep, I just need to go do something else for a while.

@Jilary - Yeah, that's fair. Real tornadoes aren't anything to mess around with. But I can't help except to be in total awe of mother nature and her beauty.

PS. Way to go and good luck!

Anybody from OC, CA and know of any volunteer opportunities in exotic, large animal, zoo, research, or anything except small animal???

Anybody from OC, CA and know of any volunteer opportunities in exotic, large animal, zoo, research, or anything except small animal???
I'm from the OC! I have not been able to find anything you have mentioned in Southern, CA (at least that worked around my school schedule). I did an exotic animal internship in Tampa, FL and I'm currently doing research at the St. Louis Zoo. There aren't too many large animal facilities in Southern California because the area isn't geared towards the farm/country lifestyle (most of them are in Central, CA). Pierce College in Woodland Hills- about 60 miles north of the OC- has a 200 acre farm and has programs for pre-vet students and vet-tech students where you can receive large animal experience. It is not volunteer based, however, and it is limited to students enrolled in the pre-vet/vet-tech program. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but I hope that helps a little!

I'm from the OC! I have not been able to find anything you have mentioned in Southern, CA (at least that worked around my school schedule). I did an exotic animal internship in Tampa, FL and I'm currently doing research at the St. Louis Zoo. There aren't too many large animal facilities in Southern California because the area isn't geared towards the farm/country lifestyle (most of them are in Central, CA). Pierce College in Woodland Hills- about 60 miles north of the OC- has a 200 acre farm and has programs for pre-vet students and vet-tech students where you can receive large animal experience. It is not volunteer based, however, and it is limited to students enrolled in the pre-vet/vet-tech program. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but I hope that helps a little!
Im in Ventura, CA. and maybe it's just more specifically my area but there TONS OF LARGE ANIMAL opportunities!!! So Cal is HUGE for horses, huge show circuit around here. Find a mobile vet, try to shadow him/her, that's what I started doing until I started working at Large Animal hospital. If you're located near me (I know OC is not) but you can PM me and I can help you. :) And yes Pierce is great, I was there for my animal science classes. Classes can be a little hard to get (since its a community college) but the program itself is not something you have to "get into" they have great resources and a huge pre-vet club that's great for networking and finding other opportunities. But yes...not so "farmish" around here, no cows. :shrug:
There's quite a bit of exotics as well...it may seem difficult to find but so cal is pretty populated and we are really lucky for all that we have, SOOO MANY vets! haha :claps: Once you start volunteering somewhere, you'll probably meet someone who can help set you up with something else that comes along, ya never know, you just gotta get in there and network! :)
Best of luck! If you're up my way PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure where in the OC you are, but I'm from North County San Diego and know a few places (equine hospitals and a small zoo) in the area if it's not too far of a drive for you. PM me if you're interested. Oh, and there's also this equine vet in Lake Forest http://equinemedicalassociates.squarespace.com/client-resources/. There's a form for visiting students, so I think they allow people to shadow. Good luck!

Ha!! I always forget to group equine in with other large animals (just goes to show how small-animal oriented I am). I have a tendency to separate "large animals," "equine," and "zoo/exotics" into their own separate categories. :/ Thanks for all the info!!

I'm not sure where in the OC you are, but I'm from North County San Diego and know a few places (equine hospitals and a small zoo) in the area if it's not too far of a drive for you. PM me if you're interested. Oh, and there's also this equine vet in Lake Forest http://equinemedicalassociates.squarespace.com/client-resources/. There's a form for visiting students, so I think they allow people to shadow. Good luck!

Thanks for all the input! I live in Tustin/Irvine area, but work in Mission Viejo so I'm all over OC, and whatever I can find will help. I have an obsurd amount of small animal experience and some exotic, but zero in all other departments and have a feeling that this may hurt my application, especially since my academics aren't great either. I remember emailing a mobile equine vet in the OC area to inquire about shadowing and they never got back to me :-/.

Although, I am not interested in large animal or equine at all, do I absolutely need experience in a discipline I have no interest in? I am actually really interested in research, but I don't have any experience in it. Does anyone have any info or opinions on this?

Finally got verified!!!!!! YAAAY! Just wanted to share my excitement with you all :3
:soexcited::banana::rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
Although, I am not interested in large animal or equine at all, do I absolutely need experience in a discipline I have no interest in? I am actually really interested in research, but I don't have any experience in it. Does anyone have any info or opinions on this?
Most schools do like to see diversity of experience to see that you've been exposed to different aspects of the profession. (Actually I think all schools like to see that, but some emphasize it more than others.) Depth of experience in the area you're most interested in is great, but sometimes it takes an experience in an area you didn't think you cared about to make you change your mind. It doesn't have to be hundreds of hours of large animal or equine experience, but at least enough for schools to see that you've tried other things out. You'll have to learn about and work with a lot of species in vet school, and schools don't want a student who will run screaming as soon as they're asked to put their arm up a cow's butt. ;)

Also your being interested in research but not having research experience gives me pause. I would be careful about mentioning that in interviews or elsewhere unless you have a really solid reason that you haven't sought out experience before now.

Most schools do like to see diversity of experience to see that you've been exposed to different aspects of the profession. (Actually I think all schools like to see that, but some emphasize it more than others.) Depth of experience in the area you're most interested in is great, but sometimes it takes an experience in an area you didn't think you cared about to make you change your mind. It doesn't have to be hundreds of hours of large animal or equine experience, but at least enough for schools to see that you've tried other things out. You'll have to learn about and work with a lot of species in vet school, and schools don't want a student who will run screaming as soon as they're asked to put their arm up a cow's butt. ;)

Also your being interested in research but not having research experience gives me pause. I would be careful about mentioning that in interviews or elsewhere unless you have a really solid reason that you haven't sought out experience before now.

Good points. Well, I definitely wont run away screaming when it gets to be my turn for the much anticipated cow rectal exam, however my face might look something like this ---> :inpain: ......and the poor cow's like this ------> :cow:

Lucky me, that's my favorite part!
tumblr_m6hyrwdux21rziwwco3_500.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the input! I live in Tustin/Irvine area, but work in Mission Viejo so I'm all over OC, and whatever I can find will help. I have an obsurd amount of small animal experience and some exotic, but zero in all other departments and have a feeling that this may hurt my application, especially since my academics aren't great either. I remember emailing a mobile equine vet in the OC area to inquire about shadowing and they never got back to me :-/.

I'm from the Mission Viejo area too! PM me, if you want to chat more about gaining volunteer experiences. But honestly in that area, it will be mainly small animal and exotics stuff. There are some large animal/equine volunteer opportunities too, just in smaller quantities.

Like Lyra said, most schools want to see a variety of animal experiences. So It would only help you to continue seeking out diverse animals to work with. You don't have to have a ton of hours working with every species. But you should try getting some hours in. In vet school, you will be expected to learn about and work with all of the domestic species. Yes, you will have to work with cows and their butts. Lol.

Also that's great that you are interested in research. There are some amazing jobs for veterinarians in that area. However, if that is what you want to do and you put that in your personal statement or mention that at interviews, you had better have some actual research experience to back that up. When looking at applications, vet schools want to see your words backed up with actions. Just be cautions on how you phrase this, if this is the area of veterinary medicine that you want to go into.

I do not have any large animal experience, and I spoke with Penn about this and they said it's not something they are concerned with especially for people who know they don't want to do large animal. I know that's not what I want to do, so no biggie. I do have animal research experience though (mostly stingrays and an american alligator), so that helps too I think!

Are you at all associated with a univeristy? Emailing the school's attending veterinarian or looking up current research at the school is what I'd recommend starting with.

Submitted Thursday, October 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Verified Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 4:17 PM

How long does it take to get verified? (Something I remember trying to search for on here)
Total time for me to get verified 21 days, 4 hours, 53 minutes (You're welcome C/O 2020+ applicants :))

woo hoo!

Good idea OneGrainOfSand!

How long does it take to get verified?

Just to show if you submit pretty early..
Submitted: August 1st, 2014 at 7:15 AM
Verified: August 1st, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Submitted Thursday, October 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Verified Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 4:17 PM

How long does it take to get verified? (Something I remember trying to search for on here)
Total time for me to get verified 21 days, 4 hours, 53 minutes (You're welcome C/O 2020+ applicants :))

woo hoo!
For a second I was like "Oh no! Maybe I wasn't the last person on SDN to submit!"
But I submitted at 11:28...so still the biggest procrastinator :D

Reactions: 3 users
Good idea OneGrainOfSand!

I have those from time to time :)

One day verification, definitely going to remember that for next year for the application cycle.

For a second I was like "Oh no! Maybe I wasn't the last person on SDN to submit!"
But I submitted at 11:28...so still the biggest procrastinator :D

It was cutting it close for sure, I remember waking up that day praying that the internet didn't crap out..lol

Reading the's threads makes me feel so much better about this whole process. . .sadly none of my local friends are applying this year and my family just thinks I am flat out neurotic for checking my email 20 times a day. :shifty:

Reading the's threads makes me feel so much better about this whole process. . .sadly none of my local friends are applying this year and my family just thinks I am flat out neurotic for checking my email 20 times a day. :shifty:
That's because you are :p

Just wait until interview invites start coming out ;). You'll be refreshing constantly!

My problem is I have nothing better to do besides work...graduatino early was a bad idea lol

My problem is I have nothing better to do besides work...graduatino early was a bad idea lol
Im right there with you Haley! My boyfriend said hes going to block my email because I am checking it so frequently! I said you think this is bad? Wait until Dec/Jan when we start getting interviews, then Ill be doing nothing but hitting refresh!

Im right there with you Haley! My boyfriend said hes going to block my email because I am checking it so frequently! I said you think this is bad? Wait until Dec/Jan when we start getting interviews, then Ill be doing nothing but hitting refresh!

That sounds familiar lol! My boyfriend threatened to change my password...I convinced him that that wouldn't be in his best interest ;)

This wait is just torture for all of us...I went overboard since I had extra money from graduation and applied to 10 schools, and I have this feeling they will all get back to me at the same time.

My poor boyfriend last year. He threatened to block SDN while I was home so that I would stop checking here for updates from other people. lol. He did get woken up from a text where I didn't even say good morning. All it said was, "I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!"

I am going to give you all some advice:

tumblr_lt295sOC741r3v6f2o1_500.gif

calmm-down-gif.gif

take_time_to_relax.gif

giphy.gif

4. Read a good book:
She-Devoured-One-Book-After-Another-GIF.gif

5. Watch a movie:
watching-movies.gif

6. Have a drink:
let__s_drink____g_i_f_by_mrsvsnape-d5a0ojw.gif

7. Or a milkshake (if you aren't into alcohol, have one if you are into alcohol too):
mini-milkshakes!.jpg

At this point, you have submitted the application and can't do anything else. You have done the best you can. So as hard as it is don't stress and relax. Getting anxious isn't going to make the wait any better and will just make it worse (I know, I did this 3 times).

Reactions: 8 users

calmm-down-gif.gif

take_time_to_relax.gif

giphy.gif

4. Read a good book:

5. Watch a movie:
watching-movies.gif

6. Have a drink:

7. Or a milkshake (if you aren't into alcohol, have one if you are into alcohol too):
mini-milkshakes!.jpg

At this point, you have submitted the application and can't do anything else. You have done the best you can. So as hard as it is don't stress and relax. Getting anxious isn't going to make the wait any better and will just make it worse (I know, I did this 3 times).
All I can think about right now are milkshakes. Oh my gosh those look fantastic.

calmm-down-gif.gif

take_time_to_relax.gif

giphy.gif

4. Read a good book:

5. Watch a movie:
watching-movies.gif

6. Have a drink:

mini-milkshakes!.jpg

Damn. I really want one of those milkshakes. Or all of them.

Reactions: 2 users
That ore one is calling my name....I need a sheetz run! For those of your who understand that!

That ore one is calling my name....I need a sheetz run! For those of your who understand that!
I wouldn't have understood that 4 years ago, but now I have unfortunately been converted to a southerner...

But seeing those milkshakes, that sounds wonderful rn. That or cookout for those who know what that is...

I wouldn't have understood that 4 years ago, but now I have unfortunately been converted to a southerner...

But seeing those milkshakes, that sounds wonderful rn. That or cookout for those who know what that is...
It is amusing to me that Virginia might count as "southern"

Well it's definitely not the north lol. And give me a break, Florida is the most fake southern you can get :p well, next to northern virginia anyway lol
I am aware. But my family is from NC, SC, Georgia...and I know people from Mississippi and Alabama lol

Super random question; you didn't volunteer at the blue ridge animal clinic, did you?