C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this site make everyone else question their sanity? I feel like all I do is compare my stats to accepted applicants.+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this site make everyone else question their sanity? I feel like all I do is compare my stats to accepted applicants.+pity+
I did this last year and ended up feeling terrible for a long time. So don't do it!!

Also, the board is MUCH quieter this year. Last year, almost every school had a thread that was constantly being posted on.

Edit: I also noticed that my VMCAS ID is lower than last years. I opened my app in very late June this year as opposed to opening day last year...weird.

That is rather odd,I wonder how many people are actually applying? or at least waiting to it would seem?

UF's is due early September so I figured I would take a look at it. I guess they want our grades in triplicate because they'll have the coursework entered on VMCAS, our transcripts, and their prereqs inventory. And for UTK you have to put in info about your experiences plus coursework. Haven't looked at NCSU or Penn yet.

I feel your pain! Purdue's supplemental app is all about the pre-reqs too.

Has anyone applied to Lincoln Memorial in Tennessee, or does anyone know anything about the school?

I already turned my application in but, I may add this school if that is even possibly?

Hey guys, this may be a dumb question, but does anybody know what happens if you get accepted do you have to pay to save your spot or do you have so long to wait before you commit to pay that big fee to hold a spot?

Hey guys, this may be a dumb question, but does anybody know what happens if you get accepted do you have to pay to save your spot or do you have so long to wait before you commit to pay that big fee to hold a spot?
Generally you have until April 15th

At most U.S. schools, you have until April 15th to accept an offer of admission and pay a deposit. I'm not sure about schools in other countries, I think they have different deadlines.

Some schools don't require a deposit, but I think a lot of them do.

Ahh thanks guys! I am only applying to U.S. schools so no worries about that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been fairly quiet myself (busy with the internship), but why are the school specific threads so quiet/non-existant this year? Maybe no one is applying and we'll all get in. That has to be it....right? :nod:

Edit: I already posted about this on this thread.....Florida heat has fried my brain

Reactions: 5 users
I think it's fairly too early for the rush of "OMG SHOULD I APPLY HERE??????" or the "I just had my interview did anyone hear yet?!?!?!" stage of the application process xD

I've been fairly quiet myself (busy with the internship), but why are the school specific threads so quiet/non-existant this year? Maybe no one is applying and we'll all get in. That has to be it....right? :nod:

Edit: I already posted about this on this thread.....Florida heat has fried my brain
I don't think those threads really get fired up until everyone's applications have actually been submitted

Has anyone applied to Iowa either this year or other years prior?

Hmm Mississippi State recommends sending a picture with their supplemental application, do i send a normal nice picture of myself or do I send one of my photos of myself with wild animals, such as bears or owls. . . decisions decisions.
Late to the party...but UF requires this as well. I got a bit of a chuckle this year when they now clearly state "Professional photos only, please."

Last year, they didn't specify that it had to be a "professional" picture. I wonder if they got some interesting photos...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just wondering are theyou looking for the essays to be more personal. Like less about vet experience and more about skills and personal qualities?

I'm just wondering are theyou looking for the essays to be more personal. Like less about vet experience and more about skills and personal qualities?
I think it depends on how you want to approach it. Which essay are you thinking about?

For the diversity essay, I was definitely more personal, though it all depends on what you want to say. I also believe one of the essays even mentioned to not list vet experiences (unless that was another supplemental I'm thinking about).

I think it depends on how you want to approach it. Which essay are you thinking about?

For the diversity essay, I was definitely more personal, though it all depends on what you want to say. I also believe one of the essays even mentioned to not list vet experiences (unless that was another supplemental I'm thinking about).

Yeah the diversity one mentioned to leave out pretty much anything animal related. I was thinking about talking about my involvement as a supplemental instructor and my work as the vice-president of the Colleges Against Cancer Club for that one. Or my part time job in customer service and the newspaper haha.

The other essay I am kind of struggling with. I really do not know much about the schools program and I am struggling with finding stuff on the site...Any tips there? I saw they work with a wildlife clinic but I don't know how in depth that goes.

Yeah the diversity one mentioned to leave out pretty much anything animal related. I was thinking about talking about my involvement as a supplemental instructor and my work as the vice-president of the Colleges Against Cancer Club for that one. Or my part time job in customer service and the newspaper haha.

The other essay I am kind of struggling with. I really do not know much about the schools program and I am struggling with finding stuff on the site...Any tips there? I saw they work with a wildlife clinic but I don't know how in depth that goes.

You can really talk about anything that you think makes you diverse, including your background or basically anything really.

The last one was hard for me too, I think I talked about how I liked the curriculum and other opportunities through the school (I was able to talk to a recent ISU grad which made it easier to come up with things).

Haha it's hard to focus on something when I know little about them!

I honestly can not recall the supplemental essay prompts. I do know that they like to see leadership experience and you are always best to explain how the experiences that you have had make you a good candidate for vet school and vet med.

I honestly can not recall the supplemental essay prompts. I do know that they like to see leadership experience and you are always best to explain how the experiences that you have had make you a good candidate for vet school and vet med.

One is what does the college offer that fits your future goals as a veterinarian.

The other asks what you would bring to the college excluding animal and vet experience.

One is what does the college offer that fits your future goals as a veterinarian.

The other asks what you would bring to the college excluding animal and vet experience.

That is right. I remember now.

For the second one, definitely explain other experiences or things that have helped you gain character traits that are good for vets/vet students. They are big on leadership. However, it isn't good to say "xxx experience taught me had to be a good leader". Describe it... say, "At xx I was required to do blah, blah and that helped me to develop good leadership skills". Also think of anything. Any multicultural experience you have had? Explain how that has helped with communication skills. Any other traits you can think about yourself that would be good to bring to the school. This is kind of an opportunity to really sell yourself.

The first essay is harder, but dig through and read about the school. It took me a lot of time to figure out what to say and how to phrase it. This is also going to be highly dependent upon what your goals are for the future.

Good Luck! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
When we send the GRE scores is it better to send them all or just your best score?

Has anyone applied to Lincoln Memorial in Tennessee, or does anyone know anything about the school?

I already turned my application in but, I may add this school if that is even possibly?
What did you want to know about the CVM program at LMU? I am a member of the LMU CVM class of 2018, and would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:
None of mine have yet! It's stressing me out.

Is anyone else still procrastinating like me? I've got most of my VMCAS filled out and one out of four supplemental apps finished, but I haven't even finalized who I want eLORs from, let alone talked to them (I hate hate hate having to ask for LORs). Also I'm re-applying, so I have my personal statement from last year, but it needs some major revisions and I haven't even looked at it...

I'd like to be able to submit by September 1st, but meh, last year I submitted on 9/28 and it wasn't a problem.

Lyra, I hear you. I've been so busy with classes and work I'm surprised I was able to ask a few of my eLORs for this year. And my PS from last year needs revision and just, ugh.

I still have to talk to one of my evaluators, plus I'm only about 1200 characters into my PS. I wanted to at least get a draft done so I could send that to the rest of my evaluators but ugh I can't even write.

I still have to talk to one of my evaluators, plus I'm only about 1200 characters into my PS. I wanted to at least get a draft done so I could send that to the rest of my evaluators but ugh I can't even write.
Says the girl with a writing major =P

I haven't even looked at any of the supplementals yet :laugh:. I should probably get on that. I would so much rather enjoy my summer days off laying in the sun instead of editing my PS and doing vet school applications!

I had a friend last night ask me if I was applying for starting vet school in January since I'm working on applications now. Nope, it's just a looooong process! And people are always surprised/annoyed that I have to wait until April for a decision from Mizzou (my IS).

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else hitting their head against a wall because you seem SO CLOSE to finishing all your application stuff, but you're still SO FAR away?

Anyone else hitting their head against a wall because you seem SO CLOSE to finishing all your application stuff, but you're still SO FAR away?
Yuuuuup. :bang:I'm not procrastinating nearly as much as I did last year (not having school to worry about helps), but the odds that I'll be able to submit by September 2nd are looking slimmer and slimmer.

So I've hit a weird getting-down-to-the-wire panic that maybe I should apply to more than 4 schools. I finally settled on 4 almost a month ago, and had more-or-less solid reasons for eliminating every other from consideration, but now I'm panicking about what if I don't get in anywhere again this cycle, and maybe I should widen my net by 1 or 2 schools. But which ones??? And also that would mean adding more to my to-do list if there's a supplemental, and spending more money...

I'm quickly learning that being out of school isn't helping my sanity, it's too easy to just sit around thinking about vet school stuff every moment I'm not at work! :nailbiting:

Well, just sent my GRE scores to my schools.
Baby steps Gwen, baby steps.

Reactions: 3 users
So I've hit a weird getting-down-to-the-wire panic that maybe I should apply to more than 4 schools. I finally settled on 4 almost a month ago, and had more-or-less solid reasons for eliminating every other from consideration, but now I'm panicking about what if I don't get in anywhere again this cycle, and maybe I should widen my net by 1 or 2 schools. But which ones??? And also that would mean adding more to my to-do list if there's a supplemental, and spending more money...

I'm quickly learning that being out of school isn't helping my sanity, it's too easy to just sit around thinking about vet school stuff every moment I'm not at work! :nailbiting:

This is 100% me right now. Every time I get a paycheck, I have to stop myself from applying to another one. I'm afraid that by the time October 2nd comes, I'll have spent all my money on more applications. D:

I keep getting emails from schools saying that they received my VMCAS application however not all my evaluators have finished their eLOR. Does anybody know if they just send another out when it's done?

I keep getting emails from schools saying that they received my VMCAS application however not all my evaluators have finished their eLOR. Does anybody know if they just send another out when it's done?
No worries, VMCAS will send the LORs along when they're finished. :)