C- on retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Footyboy89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a 26 year old (hopefully) non trad. I graduated in 2010. I would like to do a DIY post bacc this year however before I do I have questions about retakes. in chem 1 I got a C- on retake from a F. Before that I had a W my freshman year.

All my other grades for bcpm classes are fine however it is this one class. I got B+ in the orgos so I know I can handle higher level courses. I first had to drop with a W because my engineering advisor forced me to drop even though I received B- on the first test because I got a C on my first engineering test. He said I needed to focus on that class. My chem professor was very good at that time. I later switched out of engineering. When I retook chem 1 my new professor made it impossible for me to pass after I missed an exam because of a soccer away trip for a tournament. I got a F, I couldn't drop because it was after the cut off date. My make up exam was given in 2 days notice and was considerably harder than the regular exam. I gave her a month notice about missing the exam and reminded her all the time. She waited till the last minute to tell me about the new exam date. She also blamed me that I couldn't take the exam during her office hours even though I had other class at that time.

When I retook chem 1 she was my professor again. Unfortunately, the same scene happened. However this time I got a C- because I had a week to study for this make up exam. Our grades were based off 3 exams with 1 being the final. So even the slightest poor exam result would greatly alter the final grade. This one professor was the only one who gave me trouble about missing classes and exams. I always told my teachers well before about possible missed classes and assignments.

What should I do? Should I retake chem 1? I want to do a DIY post bacc this semester with psychology and sociology classes along with cellular and molecular biology and maybe a math class to bump up my sGPA.

I have this one scar on my course history. I would love to be MD however I'm not sure anymore due to this one class.

Also should I retake a lab? I got a C- on orgo 2 lab.

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools require C or better in prerequisite classes both MD and DO ( not sure what schools) Retake makes sense to me. Also, math isn't calculated for sGPA for DO.

Not sure what your GPA is but 2 C- and an F drop your GPA by 0.2 points, assuming these classes are a total of 8 credit hours, orgo lab is 2 credit hours and the 2 chemistry classes were 3 credit hours and that you take 120 credit hours total.

Retakes with As is +0.2 to your GPA for DO. For MD its roughly + 0.008

Math: 112x 4= 448, 5x 1.7= 8.5, 0x3=0. 448+8.5+ 0= 456.5. 456.5/120= 3.804

Retakes with As for DO becomes 480/120= 4.0
Retakes with As for MD becomes 456.5+ (4x5)= 476.5. 476.5/125= 3.812

If your retaking the classes for MD it barely helps, but may be required at some schools due to Chemistry and organic chemistry being prerequisites.

If your retaking for DO its very helpful.

Thanks for the reply. The math was really helpful regarding the retakes. I knew about the C requirement. My bcpm classes outside these two are in the B range, sadly no As. Gpa isn't terrible but not great either. B- counted as 2.7 in my school so that lowered my gpa somewhat.

I don't think I was clear enough but my question was more so with the perception of F then C-. How poorly does this look for medical school (MD not DO) schools?
What would an admissions committe think? Are my chances for a MD ruined?

Members don't see this ad :)
One scar won't absolutely kill you. Remember there a lot of new MD and DO schools opening soon in the US. They all need students. Some of the older schools admissions may see a slight reduction in apps because some want to go to the new schools. Another thing to keep in mind: While your MCAT and undergrad GPA are very important, there ARE other ways to make yourself look appealing to the adcoms: personal statement, having life experience(s) excellent interviewing skills, hospital exposure, volunteering experience, military experience. Given that we are evaluated on several dimensions, there are chances you may have other attributes that make you an excellent candidate. I wouldn't draw attention to your F mark. Highlight the other things in your life that make you an excellent candidate. Show them humility, don't make excuses about why you did this or that then. Showing them you have learned and willing to grow in to a strong medical student is worth more to them than listening to the reasons you performed poorly during a short time in your life.

Directing your motivations toward medical school MAY serve you better chances of acceptance (than soccer tournaments) since you want to become a Physician right?

That's comforting. I plan to spend the next 3 semesters doing a DIY post bacc doing higher level science classes that I couldn't do as an undergrad. I was also an exercise physiology major and I hope many of the classes count as sgpa. I've arranged clinical volunteering, I do need some shadowing however. I have plenty of non clinical volunteering.

But the soccer part of my life is over. I spent time in professional soccer overseas. I just needed a break from studying and it was good for me but I want to pursue medical school from this point (hence the post bacc).

A long time ago Andy Roddick said something perfect: "at the end of your life you either have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't."

Fall out of love with your reasons.

Reactions: 2 users