C/P Section Bank #100 (blood viscosity)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 11.42.52 AM.png

Is the logic that for larger blood vessels, there would be more interactions with the vessel walls as the blood flows out from the center?

I thought it would make more sense to think of more interactions with a smaller vessel and less interactions as the diameter increases.

Members don't see this ad.

Intuitively I agree that it makes sense to think of more interactions with smaller vessel and less interactions as vessel diameter increase. However in your given passage it mentions that as blood enters small vessels, many erythrocytes tend to flow in the centre of the vessel. Given this information, it seems to suggest that smaller vessels result in less interaction with vessel walls, and therefore having lower coefficient of viscosity of blood.

Just my thoughts!

I guess the question for the logicians is: does saying the blood flows in the center for small vessels necessarily imply that blood floods in the periphery for large vessels.

Reactions: 1 users