C/S on 32" parturient with severe (Type IV) osteogenesis imperfecta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

excalibur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Case discussion...

You are called to evaluate a patient on L and D.

31 y/o G1P0 patient who is 31 weeks pregnant arrives in L and D for a prenatal check and the obstetrician calls you for an early anesthetic preoperative evaluation. The patient is 32" tall and has Type IV osteogenesis imperfecta. As expected, she has a history of previous fractures from minor traumas, but no history of severe bleeding. Her past surgical history includes Harrington rods to treat severe scoliosis. Her CBC and BMP are normal. Her airway exam is concerning for a very short neck, but has a MP II view with good mouth opening and good range of motion for a short neck.

What would be your anesthetic plan in this patient when she shows up for scheduled C/S in a few weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Spinal. 7.5mg bupivacaine + 15mcg fentanyl. Have C-MAC in room.

Eh, different strokes for different folks. In a patient who has brittle bones and has rods with a spinal fusion (do we know how far down the fusion extends?), I wouldn't feel comfortable fishing around her back with a needle, potentially traumatizing more bone and tissue. I would plan for GA. Prop sux tube (with a Glidescope probably).

Members don't see this ad :)
How did her pelvis not break getting pregnant in the first place? That's the first question I'd want to know the answer to.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh, different strokes for different folks. In a patient who has brittle bones and has rods with a spinal fusion (do we know how far down the fusion extends?), I wouldn't feel comfortable fishing around her back with a needle, potentially traumatizing more bone and tissue. I would plan for GA. Prop sux tube (with a Glidescope probably).

I think either options are defendable. But usually Harrington rods should not affect your midline structures so you can still place a spinal easily unless patient's BMI is 50. Spinal needles are also so small and non-cutting, it would be difficult for you to cause major damage. I would not offer her an epidural though (dont know what kinda scarring is back there)

I think either options are defendable. But usually Harrington rods should not affect your midline structures so you can still place a spinal easily unless patient's BMI is 50. Spinal needles are also so small and non-cutting, it would be difficult for you to cause major damage. I would not offer her an epidural though (dont know what kinda scarring is back there)

True, the rods themselves don't affect midline structures, but remember she has severe scoliosis. In severe scoliosis, often you won't have twisting of just the spine, but of the vertebrae too. And, after having undergone spine surgery, depending on what the surgeon did (took off spinous processes for bone graft, etc etc), it could potentially make it even more challenging. Not impossible, but I wouldn't plan on it being an in-and-out 2 minute spinal. I agree with the spinal needle not being a source of major trauma, but again, just something I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with.

As you said, either option is possible! The beauty of anesthesia.

Interesting case. I would have gone down the GA route with AFOI. I would like to know how she tolerated GA before. Also, what I was unaware of is the link between OI and malignant hyperthermia. Interesting case.

I would opt for GA and AFOI.

While the rods and hardware are lateral to the space, there is the scoliosis issue.

The other concern in my mind, even with aseptic technique, is infection. I hate to think that rare complication would happen right at the area where the needle went in. I don't even want to think of the disaster surgeries it would need to fix such a complication.

Any thoughts?

I would opt for GA and AFOI.

While the rods and hardware are lateral to the space, there is the scoliosis issue.

The other concern in my mind, even with aseptic technique, is infection. I hate to think that rare complication would happen right at the area where the needle went in. I don't even want to think of the disaster surgeries it would need to fix such a complication.

Any thoughts?
This would be the safest and most guaranteed plan

Interesting case. I would have gone down the GA route with AFOI. I would like to know how she tolerated GA before. Also, what I was unaware of is the link between OI and malignant hyperthermia. Interesting case.
no direct link between MH and OI but OI kids/adults can get a mod fever post anesthesia. Not related to ca release. Exact mech is not fully understood

Members don't see this ad :)
Good discussion so far. For those that elected for GA, any special pre-op monitors? Anything special for intubation?

For those thinking the neuraxial route...

...how would you determine a single shot spinal dose? Someone earlier stated 7.5 mg bupivacaine. I agree with the others that that dose needs an explanation or reasoning. This patient is 32" tall, which is about as tall as a 2 year old. I have never given a spinal anesthetic to a 2 year old, and I have no I idea the predictability of spinal doses at that height. So the unpredictability of a spinal dose at that height and the Harrington rods make neuraxial a no go for me. For those considering neuraxial, would you consider continuous spinal or epidural as options?

Clearly the important point from the patients perspective is that the uterus is not a bony structure

I can't remember where I read it, but from some paper not too long ago suggested in pregnancy, if doing a spinal 1ml of 0.75% bupiv for each meter. So your 1.6m, 5ft 4in tall woman will get 1.6ml of the standard stuff in the kit.
32 inches is 0.81 meters so I'd say that is also the volume of 0.75% but I'd wuss out and give her a whole ml which comes out to the previous suggestion of 7.5mg of bupiv + 15fent

Would anyone here do an intrathecal catheter? I wouldn't do a single shot spinal because I'm not confident that the dose I choose will be sufficient and safe.

GA + AFOI was my initial reaction, but an intrathecal catheter will get a good level, safely, and we could avoid that funky airway ... and also avoid the other downsides to GA like uterine atony in what will surely NOT be a 20 minute c-section, and a mom who sleeps through her kid's birth.

Would anyone here do an intrathecal catheter? I wouldn't do a single shot spinal because I'm not confident that the dose I choose will be sufficient and safe.

GA + AFOI was my initial reaction, but an intrathecal catheter will get a good level, safely, and we could avoid that funky airway ... and also avoid the other downsides to GA like uterine atony in what will surely NOT be a 20 minute c-section, and a mom who sleeps through her kid's birth.

Not a bad idea although only if I was going on vacation the next day. That way I could avoid having to deal with a pdph and blood patcho_O

I like this idea. It's probably what I would do if this case came to me. Though my plan B would be an awake glidescope rather than afoi, but that's just me.

(Why awake glidescope, some may ask? If the view is chip shot easy, I'll let her go to sleep before the tube goes in, to make the experience marginally less traumatic.)

Ok. So a couple of things that I left out was that this patient came to be seen because she was having some increased respiratory effort. PE was excluded, and it seemed that it was mostly from the pregnancy itself. So one of our partners saw this patient and then bounced the case around the dept.

The dept discussion went something like this...

-Is neuraxial even an option?
-It would be difficult with the rods. Would anyone even know what dose to give for a single shot?
-You risk too little of a spinal or total spinal.
-Would continuous intrathecal be an option?
-Yeah but then are you going to deal with the PDPH? Are you certain you could get into the epidural space?
-Epidural for the C/S?
-Possible, but you risk a patchy epidural.
-This patient has labored breathing at 31 weeks. Imagine at 36-37 weeks. The baby is only going to gain weight. She may not even be able to lie supine awake.
-OK If GA is what you are going to do, is it going to be RSI? Would you use sux on this patient? (This patient had very limited physical activity due to some contractures, and some had a concern of using sux in this patient)
-Well what about AFOI or awake glidescope? You eliminate aspiration risk, avoid sux, and have a secure airway from the get go.

The consensus from our dept was GA with AFOI to secure the airway first.

Then I did my literature search and found some great stuff. Thank you for whoever posted the case from Korea as at least they did a spinal in that case and used 8 mg on a 46" patient. At least there is a reference, but no doubt dicey.

In my literature search, I found an article that had two case reports regarding this scenario. One case was done under epidural and the other under GA because the patient couldn't lie supine. Two things I didn't think about. 1. You should probably do an arterial line in these patients as repetitive BP measurement from NIBP cuff could lead to humerus fracture. 2. Consideration must be given to laryngoscopy possibly causing mandibular fracture (another case for doing AFOI or using a ?perhaps softer? Glidescope

I will post the article in my next post

Anesthesia & Analgesia:
May 2002 - Volume 94 - Issue 5 - pp 1315-1317
doi: 10.1097/00000539-200205000-00049
CASE REPORT: Case Report
Pregnancy Complicated By Severe Osteogenesis Imperfecta: A Report Of Two Cases

Vogel, Tracey M. MD*,; Ratner, Emily F. MD*,; Thomas, Robert C. Jr., MD†, and; Chitkara, Usha MD*

Article Outline

Author Information
*Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California; and †Department of Anesthesia, Covenant HealthCare, Saginaw, Michigan
December 28, 2001.
Address correspondence and reprint requests to Tracey M. Vogel, MD, Magee-Womens Hospital, Department of Anesthesia & CCM, 300 Halket Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213-3180. Address e-mail to [email protected].

We report two parturients with severe osteogenesis imperfecta (OI) complicated by profound short stature, severe kyphoscoliosis and, in one patient, respiratory compromise, presenting for cesarean delivery. We discuss two different approaches to anesthetic management for such severe presentations of the disease.
Back to Top | Article Outline
Case Reports
Case #1
A 30-yr-old gravida 1 para 0 female with severe, type IV OI presented at 24 wk gestation for pregnancy termination via hysterotomy secondary to fetal Trisomy 18. The patient had severe kyphoscoliosis and significant deformities of all extremities secondary to multiple long bone fractures. She denied any history of bleeding diathesis. On physical examination she measured 14 in. from her buttocks to her C7 prominence. Her pelvis was severely contracted, the lower extremities were fixed in semiflexion, and she was wheelchair bound. If her lower extremities could be extended, her estimated total height would be 36 in. Although she presented at 24 wk gestation, the fundus of the uterus was at her xiphoid. She was unable to flex or extend her neck, had a Mallampati Class I airway (1), and had poor dentition. Pulmonary function tests revealed significant restrictive disease (forced vital capacity = 18%, forced expiratory volume1/forced vital capacity = 109% predicted), and a normal arterial blood gas, but the patient denied respiratory difficulties while supine. Hematologic and coagulation studies (platelet count, prothrombin time, and partial thromboplastin time) were normal. The patient denied any history of bleeding abnormalities.
Preoperatively, 500 mL of lactated Ringer’s solution, metoclopramide 10 mg IV and sodium bicitrate 30 mL per os were administered. The patient was positioned in a modified supine position (with her head elevated approximately 30°) on the operating room (OR) table with foam pads, towels, and pillows to avoid additional bone fractures (Fig. 1). All standard monitors, except a blood pressure cuff, were placed. An automatic blood pressure cuff or vigorous inflation of a manual cuff could increase the risk of fracturing the humerus (2). A right radial arterial catheter was placed to allow blood pressure monitoring and assessment of arterial blood gases. The patient was given supplemental oxygen via a nasal cannula at a rate of 3 L/min. An epidural anesthetic was planned. Before regional anesthesia, direct laryngoscopy under topical anesthesia of the oral pharynx was performed to assess ease of intubation should a regional block fail or ascend too high as to cause respiratory insufficiency. Epiglottis and posterior arytenoids were seen, and it was determined that intubation via direct laryngoscopy could be accomplished with minimal difficulty. The patient was then positioned in a modified sitting position for epidural placement. Only one intervertebral space was identified on palpation of the back. After three attempts, an epidural catheter was inserted via a Tuohy needle to a depth of 3 cm. A negative test dose with 3 mL of 2% lidocaine and 1:200,000 epinephrine was administered. An additional 10 mL, in two 5-mL aliquots, of a 2% lidocaine solution with 50 μg fentanyl and 1:200,000 epinephrine was necessary to achieve a T4 sensory level. The cesarean delivery proceeded uneventfully, without uterine atony or other complications. One intraoperative evaluation of arterial blood gases revealed a mild respiratory acidosis (pH = 7.33, Pco2 = 46.5) but adequate oxygenation (Po2 = 188). No respiratory interventions were required. Postoperative recovery was uncomplicated and she was discharged home on postoperative day 4.

Figure 1
Image Tools

**** Link to full size image of Figure 1: http://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-...=2002&issue=05000&article=00049&type=Fulltext

Case #2
A 35-yr-old parturient with type III OI, presented at 32 wk with twin gestation for elective cesarean delivery, after having been hospitalized for preterm labor for approximately 1 mo. It was felt that further delay in delivering the twins could result in maternal respiratory embarrassment resulting from continuing fetal growth and decreases in functional residual capacity. She was at this point unable to tolerate the supine position because of severe respiratory distress. A cesarean delivery was chosen as the route of delivery because of the severity of the patient’s underlying disease. Physical examination revealed marked limb deformity, severe kyphoscoliosis, and an overall estimated height of 34 in. (a 7-in. distance between her L4-5 interspace to C7 prominence). Other skeletal abnormalities included a pectus carinatum and immobility of her cervical spine. She had a Mallampati Class II airway (1), a 4-cm thyromental distance, and extremely poor dentition. In addition to OI, her medical history was significant for mitral valve prolapse with moderate mitral valve insufficiency. The platelet count was 127; however, the patient had no history of any bleeding diathesis. No pulmonary function tests were available.
In the OR, the patient was carefully placed in the sitting position and padded with towels and pillows. A right radial arterial catheter was placed, in addition to a 5-lead electrocardiogram, pulse oximeter, and temperature probe. A general anesthetic was necessary for supine positioning of the patient and optimal surgical exposure. Direct laryngoscopy under topical anesthesia of the posterior oral pharynx revealed no laryngeal structures, and an awake fiberoptic nasal tracheal intubation with a #5.5 cuffed endotracheal tube was performed. The nares were topicalized with cocaine (4%), and transtracheal lidocaine (4%) was injected. Given the patient’s unusual anatomy, a nasal versus an oral intubation was performed for presumed ease of placement of the fiberoptic scope. General anesthesia was induced immediately after successful intubation with sodium thiopental (150 mg) and maintained with O2/N2O (50%/50%), desflurane (3%), and mivacurium (8 mg). Ventilatory support was instituted using tidal volumes of 280–300 mL at rates sufficient to maintain normocarbia. No intraoperative arterial blood gases were obtained. After delivery of the second baby, a propofol infusion (40 μg · kg−1 · min−1) was substituted for desflurane, and 75 μg of fentanyl was given IV. In addition to oxytocin (20 U/L normal saline), methylergonovine maleate was administered for control of uterine atony and postpartum hemorrhage. She was brought to the recovery room with her trachea intubated, and, after 5 min and after meeting extubation criteria (ability to follow commands, sustained head lift for 5 s) her trachea was extubated. No maternal complications occurred and the patient was discharged home 4 days after the cesarean delivery.
Discussion
OI is a rare inherited disease of connective tissue that primarily involves ossification of the endochondral bone, resulting in very fragile bones and multiple fractures. Depending on the inheritance pattern of OI, the disease can result in a spectrum of severity. Type I is the common, mild form with minimal deformity, Type II (perinatal lethal OI) is incompatible with life, and Types III and IV are severe, more debilitating forms of the disease resulting in short stature and kyphoscoliosis (3).
Other abnormalities associated with this disease include hyperthermia, hyperhidrosis, blue sclerae, conductive hearing loss, poor dentition, platelet dysfunction, cor pulmonale, congenital heart disease, valvular heart disease, joint laxity, and thin skin (3–6).
OI superimposed on the preexisting physiologic changes of pregnancy presents unique anesthetic challenges. In severe forms of the disease, the bone abnormalities, metabolic disorders, and cardiac and pulmonary insufficiency can significantly increase maternal morbidity (3). Additionally, many of these patients require cesarean delivery because of a contracted maternal pelvis, cephalopelvic disproportion, or a fetus with OI (3).
Although there have been several case reports describing the successful use of regional anesthesia (7–9) and general anesthesia (4,10) for cesarean delivery in patients with mild to moderate OI, the two cases presented here illustrate two anesthetic techniques that were successfully used in two patients with severe forms of the disease.
A regional technique can be safely and effectively used as illustrated by the first case. By using lumbar epidural anesthesia, we were able to avoid tracheal intubation and its inherent risk of aspiration and mandibular injury. The increased metabolic rate and hyperthermia associated with OI and general anesthesia were also avoided (11,12). In the event that regional anesthesia failed, or that the block extended unexpectedly high, several precautionary measures were taken: 1) topical anesthesia of the oral pharynx and a brief direct laryngoscopy were performed before initiating the block to assess the presumed ease of intubation, 2) the fiberoptic bronchoscope was readily available, and 3) the surgeons were prepared to continue the cesarean delivery, if necessary, using a local anesthetic technique.
Technical difficulty with block placement, inability to tolerate the supine position awake, and a preexisting coagulopathy from platelet abnormalities may preclude regional anesthesia in patients with OI. Further, assessment of platelet dysfunction is difficult. A targeted history and physical examination remain the best determinants for the individual patients (13). Kyphoscoliosis can predispose these patients to inadvertent dural puncture (3) and, coupled with short stature, may make it difficult to predict the level of any block produced by a given dose of local anesthetic. We believe that any local anesthetic should be administered incrementally to reduce the likelihood of respiratory insufficiency developing from an unintended high block. Continuous spinal anesthesia performed either with a standard epidural needle intentionally placed in the subarachnoid space and then using a standard epidural catheter, or a spinal needle and a microcatheter may be other options for this patient cohort (14). The risk of postdural puncture headache must be considered if this technique is used.
In the second case, the patient had significant pulmonary compromise. Awake fiberoptic intubation followed by a general anesthetic was chosen because her airway appeared difficult to intubate with direct laryngoscopy, and she could not tolerate lying supine secondary to respiratory insufficiency. Although there is a risk of epistaxis with nasal intubation, the nasal versus oral route was chosen based on presumed ease of placement. Small doses of opioids and short-acting anesthetics such as propofol and desflurane may be preferable to other longer-acting drugs for anesthetic maintenance, as they may decrease the incidence of postoperative respiratory depression resulting from prolonged drug effect. Volatile anesthetics, however, must be used cautiously as they can contribute to uterine atony. These patients may also have abnormal uterine connective tissue, which may already predispose them to excessive uterine bleeding (15).
These two cases illustrate two very severe examples of pregnant women with OI and review the use of two different yet successful anesthetic techniques for cesarean delivery. It is important to understand and consider the advantages and complications associated with both continuous regional and general anesthesia in this patient population. The authors feel that it is also helpful to use a multidisciplinary approach in planning a technique not only appropriate for the level of expertise of the anesthesiologist and obstetrician but also suited to the severity of physiologic and anatomic abnormalities of the individual patient.

References
1. Mallampati SR, Gatt SP, Gugino LD, et al. A clinical sign to predict difficult tracheal intubation: a prospective study. Can Anaesth Soc J 1985; 32: 424–34.
Cited Here...

2. Oliverio RM. Anesthetic management of intramedullary nailing in osteogenesis imperfecta: report of a case. Anesth Analg 1973; 52: 232–6.
Cited Here... | View Full Text | PubMed | CrossRef

3. Glosten B. Osteogenesis imperfecta. In: Gambling, DR, Douglas MJ, eds. Obstetric anesthesia and uncommon disorders. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1998: 213–8.
Cited Here...

4. Roberts JM, Solomons CC. Management of pregnancy in osteogenesis imperfecta: new perspectives. Obstet Gynecol 1975; 45: 168–70.
Cited Here... | View Full Text | PubMed

5. Rocke DA, Moodley J. Trauma and orthopedic problems. In: Datta, S ed. Anesthetic and obstetric management of high-risk pregnancy. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 1996: 296–310.
Cited Here...

6. Partridge BL. Skin and bone disorders. In: Benumof JL, ed. Anesthesia and uncommon diseases. 4th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1998: 423–56.
Cited Here...

7. Bullard JR, Alpert CC, James WF. Anesthetic management of a patient with osteogenesis imperfecta undergoing cesarean section. J S C Med Assoc 1977; 73: 417–9.
Cited Here... | PubMed

8. Cunningham AJ, Donnelly M, Comerford J. Osteogenesis imperfecta: anesthetic management of a patient for cesarean section: a case report. Anesthesiology 1984; 61: 91–3.
Cited Here... | View Full Text | PubMed | CrossRef

9. Key TC, Horger EO. Osteogenesis imperfecta as a complication of pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1978; 51: 67–71.

10. Cho E, Dayan SS, Marx GF. Anaesthesia in a parturient with osteogenesis imperfecta. Br J Anaesth 1992; 68: 422–3.
Cited Here... | PubMed | CrossRef

11. Humbert JR, Solomons CC, Ott J. Increased oxidative metabolism by leukocytes of patients with osteogenesis imperfecta and their relatives. J Pediatr 1971; 78: 648.

12. Solomons CC, Meyers DJ. Hyperthermia of osteogenesis imperfecta and its relationship to malignant hyperthermia. In: Gordon RA, Britt BA, Kalow W, eds. Malignant hyperthermia. Springfield: Charles C. Thomas, 1973: 319–30.
Cited Here...

13. Douglas MJ. Platelets, the parturient and regional anesthesia. Int J Obstet Anesth 2001; 10: 113–20.

14. Rozkowski A, Smyczek D, Birnbach DJ. Continuous spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery in a patient with arthrogryposis multiplex congenital. Reg Anesth 1996; 21: 477–9.
Cited Here... | PubMed

15. Young BK, Gorstein F. Maternal osteogenesis imperfecta. Obstet Gynecol 1968; 31: 461.

Careful placement of Epidural slowly dosed to achieve adequate level. If that doesn't work, GA with either glidescope or afoi depending on how I feel about the airway..

Careful placement of Epidural slowly dosed to achieve adequate level. If that doesn't work, GA with either glidescope or afoi depending on how I feel about the airway..
Epidural with Harrington rods seems destined for mediocrity.

Epidural with Harrington rods seems destined for mediocrity.
More like disaster IMO.

When they put the supports on the vertebrae to attach to the rods, they have to violate the epidural space/ligaments. Scarring could make threading a catheter nigh impossible, to say nothing of risk of dural puncture because the space has been compromised.

When they put the supports on the vertebrae to attach to the rods, they have to violate the epidural space/ligaments. Scarring could make threading a catheter nigh impossible, to say nothing of risk of dural puncture because the space has been compromised.

I have done some epidurals before on patients with Harrington rods. No wet taps thank goodness but very patchy coverage.

Apparently they also have impaired platelet function which may lead to mild bleeding. (Stoelting)

:thumbup:

Thanks for posting, this was great. It honestly wouldn't have occurred to me to do DL under topicalization prior to epidural placement. I also would not have thought about the Aline to avoid NIBP/humeral fractures.

I agree with GA/AFOI. Additionally, I would probably call someone from Gen Surg or ENT to be available in the room in case **** hit the fan and an emergent surgical airway was necessary.

One thing that has not been discussed. How about epidural placement under ultrasound. What about under limited fluoro-guided placement of epidural, knowing that the risk of airway complications is greater then risk of fluoroscopy to baby. Even though with imaging you have to be ready to secure the airway if total spinal/ or epidural failure.

One thing that has not been discussed. How about epidural placement under ultrasound. What about under limited fluoro-guided placement of epidural, knowing that the risk of airway complications is greater then risk of fluoroscopy to baby. Even though with imaging you have to be ready to secure the airway if total spinal/ or epidural failure.

I'm still not real enthusiastic about an epidural. Not so much the difficulty of placement, but the chances of it being patchy or inadequate. I'd rather do an intrathecal catheter and possibly a blood patch a couple days later, though I'd give her all the options and would be fine with GA if she preferred the AFOI or awake look over an intrathecal catheter and the headache risk.