MD c3.99, s4.00, 512, rural med, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthosurg1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is equivalent to a 32, meaning you'd be below the 10th percentile at WashU, Northwestern, Hopkins. Might want to swap for other competitive names that have MCAT ranges that span a little lower, like UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, Emory, Pittsburgh?

Others may be able to tell you if the rural angle keeps you in the running with a sub-10% MCAT though!

You also have a lot of schools listed already - if you want to add something like NYMC or Einstein, you should be replacing low yield schools like Brown rather than growing the list any more.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a good candidate for the schools in your state. Wisconsin accepted 28/53 in state applicants to their rural med program last year: if you can effectively express and highlight your interest in rural med youll generate interest. Wisconsin in general matriculates 27% of IS applicants: interview decently youll probably be fine.

Indiana's class consists of a significant amount of branch campus's and those programs also have some rural focus if you want to apply to them. Stats are pretty low for Columbia's rural med program and Duluth's program is about 95% Minnesota residents but give it a shot if you want. Delete most of the schools with 35+ median MCATs(keep a few if you want a few dream schools). Outside of those, you have about a dozen reasonable target type schools. That's probably enough.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a good candidate for the schools in your state. Wisconsin accepted 28/53 in state applicants to their rural med program last year: if you can effectively express and highlight your interest in rural med youll generate interest. Wisconsin in general matriculates 27% of IS applicants: interview decently youll probably be fine.

Indiana's class consists of a significant amount of branch campus's and those programs also have some rural focus if you want to apply to them. Stats are pretty low for Columbia's rural med program and Duluth's program is about 95% Minnesota residents but give it a shot if you want. Delete most of the schools with 35+ median MCATs(keep a few if you want a few dream schools). Outside of those, you have about a dozen reasonable target type schools. That's probably enough.

Thank you! I appreciate the input. U of WI is one of my top choices, so that's nice to hear

Your MCAT is equivalent to a 32, meaning you'd be below the 10th percentile at WashU, Northwestern, Hopkins. Might want to swap for other competitive names that have MCAT ranges that span a little lower, like UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, Emory, Pittsburgh?

Others may be able to tell you if the rural angle keeps you in the running with a sub-10% MCAT though!

You also have a lot of schools listed already - if you want to add something like NYMC or Einstein, you should be replacing low yield schools like Brown rather than growing the list any more.

Thanks! I'll plan on removing Brown from my list, and I'll look at a few more of the private schools to maybe do some substitutions of the lower yield schools I have on my list.