C3 Oral Rx Cover Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmalt82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY State

MD Calls in C3 Phendimetrazine ER 105MG 1QAM before breakfast #5, you dispense this on 4/1/13 (you're allowed to dispense only a 5 day supply on an oral rx for a C3).
You receive a cover in 2 days that says: Phendimetrazine ER 105MG 1QAM before breakfast #30, 5 Refills - Dated 4/2/13

What does the pharmacist do?
I think we're allowed to dispense the 5 refills on the Rx up to 180 days from the Oral Rx date (4/1/13).
The patient is forfeiting the 25 pills on the original Rx, though?

Members don't see this ad.

NY State

MD Calls in C3 Phendimetrazine ER 105MG 1QAM before breakfast #5, you dispense this on 4/1/13 (you're allowed to dispense only a 5 day supply on an oral rx for a C3).
You receive a cover in 2 days that says: Phendimetrazine ER 105MG 1QAM before breakfast #30, 5 Refills - Dated 4/2/13

What does the pharmacist do?
I think we're allowed to dispense the 5 refills on the Rx up to 180 days from the Oral Rx date (4/1/13).
The patient is forfeiting the 25 pills on the original Rx, though?

There is no law that says the cover needs to match what was called in, and it rarely does. I'd use that as a cover for the 5 tablet Rx, and tell the patient to get a new Rx for more.

There is no law that says the cover needs to match what was called in, and it rarely does. I'd use that as a cover for the 5 tablet Rx, and tell the patient to get a new Rx for more.

Doesn't the law say that the practitioner can authorize refills via this cover?
So, can we not just write "follow-up to oral rx #" on the cover and then give a new rx# to this cover so that we can fill only the 5 refills (put it into the computer as original plus 4 refills and annotate the reason being that it is a cover). However, the patient would forfeit the original 25 pills, which seems legal to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't the law say that the practitioner can authorize refills via this cover?
So, can we not just write "follow-up to oral rx #" on the cover and then give a new rx# to this cover so that we can fill only the 5 refills (put it into the computer as original plus 4 refills and annotate the reason being that it is a cover). However, the patient would forfeit the original 25 pills, which seems legal to me.

I see no reference to refills in section 80.70 link

Good point. But every Controlled Substance Regulations table that I've seen says that refills can be given via the cover for an oral Rx. How so?

Good point. But every Controlled Substance Regulations table that I've seen says that refills can be given via the cover for an oral Rx. How so?

Couldn't tell you. But it seems unnecessary. If a doctor wants an emergency RX and refills, I tell them to send me two hardcopies. One stamp covers the postage.

Couldn't tell you. But it seems unnecessary. If a doctor wants an emergency RX and refills, I tell them to send me two hardcopies. One stamp covers the postage.

Avoids any hassle with the law.

You have to mention which state you are in. In NY there are 2 options

1) the cover script says exactly what was called in for 5 tabs, and the doc can send a 2nd new script to be filled that is completely different with more qty and refills like 30 tabs with 5 refills to be put on file or filled in a few days.

or

2) the cover script says exactly what was called in and the doc can put refills on that script. so 5 tabs with 5 refills. the cover script 'covered' the 5 you dispensed on telephone order and now the patient has 5 more refills they can use.

You have to mention which state you are in. In NY there are 2 options

1) the cover script says exactly what was called in for 5 tabs, and the doc can send a 2nd new script to be filled that is completely different with more qty and refills like 30 tabs with 5 refills to be put on file or filled in a few days.

or

2) the cover script says exactly what was called in and the doc can put refills on that script. so 5 tabs with 5 refills. the cover script 'covered' the 5 you dispensed on telephone order and now the patient has 5 more refills they can use.

NY.
So, would you then be allowed to dispense Phendimetrazine ER 105MG #25 based on those 5 refills in situation 2? I thought the 5x/6month law applied only to 30 day supplies.
It would be weird for a practitioner to do this. In either case, I think we can all agree that the situation can be made easier just by telling the practitioner to send 2 Rxs beforehand.
I doubt the patient wants to come in 5 times for 5 pills.

Last edited:
NY.
So, would you then be allowed to dispense Phendimetrazine ER 105MG #25 based on those 5 refills in situation 2? I thought the 5x/6month law applied only to 30 day supplies.
It would be weird for a practitioner to do this. In either case, I think we can all agree that the situation can be made easier just by telling the practitioner to send 2 Rxs beforehand.
I doubt the patient wants to come in 5 times for 5 pills.

I just took NY law and got my license in Feb.

If they call in a 5 day supply of a control, the cover they must send must be an EXACT COPY of the telephone order they called in. So it must be for ONLY 5 days supply, no more, no less, it must be EXACTLY the same. They can put 5 refills on this Rx however, and yes the patient has to come in 5 times for a 5 days supply.

Or.. they can send you 2 rx's. One is an exact copy of the telephone order. The other a new script, 30 days supply with up to 5 refills.

i just took ny law and got my license in feb.

If they call in a 5 day supply of a control, the cover they must send must be an exact copy of the telephone order they called in. So it must be for only 5 days supply, no more, no less, it must be exactly the same. They can put 5 refills on this rx however, and yes the patient has to come in 5 times for a 5 days supply.

Or.. They can send you 2 rx's. One is an exact copy of the telephone order. The other a new script, 30 days supply with up to 5 refills.

your answer is much appreciated!