CA/3.8/30 Critique my school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noggin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA is stellar but MCAT is below avg for many of the schools on your list. Suggest deleting those in red; especially stay away from state schools other than your CA. Public schools favor the home team in a big way. Howard, Meharry and Morehouse are HBCs and if you're not a URM, it will be a waste of time and money.

While I believe in aiming high, UCSD and UCSF will appreciate the donation to them.

Suggest adding:
Hofstra
NYMC
Rosy Franklin
Quinnipac

Albany medical college
Cooper Medical School
Creighton
Drexel
Eastearn Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Howard Medical School
Indiana University
Jefferson
Medical College of Wisonsin
Meharry Medical College
Moorehouse
New York Medical College
Oakland University
Penn State
Rush
Temple
Commonwealth Medical College
Toledo
USF Morsani-Tampa
U of Arizona

UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCR
UCSD
UCSF

University of Nebraska
University of Nevada
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth

I picked these schools because I thought that most of these were in my range (minus the CA schools obviously but Im going to still apply to CA schools because you only live once and I have to shoot for the stars :) Please let me know if you know of any other low-mid tier schools that are friendly to california kids like me. Oh and I'm also not to excited about trying to do DO. Nothing against going the DO route, its just that I would prefer to do MD if I can. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thank you for your response! One quick question: I know state schools tend to give preference to instate residents. However, I am mostly selecting my OOS public schools based on OOS interviews given divided by total OOS applicants according to the MSAR. So for example, Indiana University, which you suggested wouldn't be a good school to apply to, interviews 544/3253 OOS applicants, or roughly 17% which is a very high percentage for OOS interviews according to the MSAR. Is this not a good way to select schools?

I would remove University of Nevada, but add back Commonwealth Medical College, SLU and Virginia Commonwealth, also couple SUNY schools won't hurt(you will be surprised). I also believe Georgetown and GWU are questionable(don't put hopes into those).