CA: 3.92GPA 32 MCAT chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asecondtolife

Counting sheep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 32 (11 PS / 10 VR / 11 BS)
~50hrs shadowing, ~200hrs hospital volunteering
2 years UG research and 1 year lab manager at same lab
Officer of two student clubs
~50hrs community service at a women's shelter (summers)
2 good LORs, working on my last few

I am a California resident and am looking to stay in California for family reasons. UC Davis is a top school for me (UCSF would be wonderful, but realistically that's not likely haha). Any other CA school -- UCSD, UCLA, Loma Linda -- is an option as well.

I am debating between applying this cycle and delaying a year to strengthen my app. Looking for opinions -- I only want to apply this cycle if I have a good shot at CA schools. If I delay to work on my application, what areas should I work on (retake MCAT / ECs / etc.)

Thank you for all replies!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

pleasure to message you!

am alum of auburn college of vet med 1991 and admitted to 4 medical schools also; worked for princeton review, phd work in neurology in human medicine

your chances are excellent-been in this "game" since 1984 and 3.92 is "over the top" (3.8+ is for that matter); your MCAT is weak COMPARED to your GPA; if I were you, I'd apply, and if not admitted retake MCAT (OF COURSE), as your GPA cannot be raised any more; it always is good to take more difficult courses, or get an MPH or MS in something (motivation, up for challenge all that BS)

bottom line; your MCAT is good but your GPA is way better; if you break 35 (36+) I think you are in unless you have no volunteer experience or your recommendations are from freshman 101 bio and your uncle who is a doctor! (Seriously, I know people who have done this- get recs from people who had enough contact with you to answer the questions on the rec form)! if your uncle happens to be a doctor, only have him write for you if you worked in his office etc.

Otherwise, if you want it, congratulations. I see only a retake of the MCAT as the possible hurdle in your way to being an MD. LIke you, I had a high GPA (4.00) and high MCAT scores (42 on new one, 76 of 90 back in the day)-as I plan to apply as an "older student".

Best to you!
jm. dvm, phd

Thank you for the feedback! Do you think it's a strike against me that my MCAT is so low compared to my GPA? Or do they not look at scores like that?

Grats on your stats and scores and best of luck to you too! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply to all of the CA schools. Your GPA is very good, you should be able to do well at them. Your MCAT isn't bad either.

Thank you for the feedback! Do you think it's a strike against me that my MCAT is so low compared to my GPA? Or do they not look at scores like that?

Grats on your stats and scores and best of luck to you too! :)

Your MCAT is plenty good to get an MD somewhere, assuming you apply to a reasonable list of schools.

cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 32 (11 PS / 10 VR / 11 BS)
~50hrs shadowing, ~200hrs hospital volunteering
2 years UG research and 1 year lab manager at same lab
Officer of two student clubs
~50hrs community service at a women's shelter (summers)
2 good LORs, working on my last few

I am a California resident and am looking to stay in California for family reasons. UC Davis is a top school for me (UCSF would be wonderful, but realistically that's not likely haha). Any other CA school -- UCSD, UCLA, Loma Linda -- is an option as well.

I am debating between applying this cycle and delaying a year to strengthen my app. Looking for opinions -- I only want to apply this cycle if I have a good shot at CA schools. If I delay to work on my application, what areas should I work on (retake MCAT / ECs / etc.)

Thank you for all replies!! :love:
You are an average applicant for CA and above average for OOS. Plan your strategy accordingly.

I guess I should add that most applicants with your scores get in OOS.

You are an average applicant for CA and above average for OOS. Plan your strategy accordingly.

I guess I should add that most applicants with your scores get in OOS.

Your MCAT is plenty good to get an MD somewhere, assuming you apply to a reasonable list of schools.

Just apply to all of the CA schools. Your GPA is very good, you should be able to do well at them. Your MCAT isn't bad either.

Thank you for all the feedback! :)

I am looking specifically at CA schools because my family situation requires me to be home in CA around every other month and that's difficult to achieve if I'm on, say, the east coast. That hardly means I won't be applying OOS but I'll have to be choosy with my out of state locations.

Thank you for all the feedback! :)

I am looking specifically at CA schools because my family situation requires me to be home in CA around every other month and that's difficult to achieve if I'm on, say, the east coast. That hardly means I won't be applying OOS but I'll have to be choosy with my out of state locations.

You probably won't have a choice. Apply OOS. Your credentials, while excellent, does not guarantee an acceptance in California. I wouldn't risk it, so definitely look into out of state.

Having done research for a few years and having been a lab manager for a year, do you have any publications? That would definitely increase your chances in the California schools.

I'd like to echo the sentiment everyone else is saying for emphasis: apply OOS too. If you apply solely to California you run a high risk of not having any acceptances at all.

I don't have any publications, unfortunately - the project I worked on as a research assistant is still in progress, and as lab manager my duties are more administrative based.

Is it safe to say, then, that even if I delay to spruce up my app (increase my MCAT to a 35+, "possible" publication, more ECs), I could never have a sure shot at CA?

I don't have any publications, unfortunately - the project I worked on as a research assistant is still in progress, and as lab manager my duties are more administrative based.

Is it safe to say, then, that even if I delay to spruce up my app (increase my MCAT to a 35+, "possible" publication, more ECs), I could never have a sure shot at CA?

That is correct. Complete rejection from the California schools is always possible, even for the most stellar of applicants. Apply OOS as well if you don't want to risk reapplying.