CA license by reciprocation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdaztxca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I am a licensed pharmacist in TX. I am thinking about moving to CA in the near future. I checked the CA board of pharmacy but did not get a clear answer. I have the following questions:

1) I took and passed NAPLEX in 2006. I know I have to take CPJE if I want to transfer my license to CA. Do I also have to take NAPLEX again?

2) NABP offers a service called Electronic Licensure Transfer Program. Do I need to use this service (and pay $300 :() in addition to filing my application to CA board of pharmacy?

Thank all of you for your help!

David

Members don't see this ad.

CA does not reciprocate (as I know the only state in USA), if you did not transfer your NAPLEX score to CA, then you have to take both NAPLEX and CPJE. That NABP electronic licensure transfer program is the first step of the reciprocation. Good luck!

Hi:

I am a licensed pharmacist in TX. I am thinking about moving to CA in the near future. I checked the CA board of pharmacy but did not get a clear answer. I have the following questions:

1) I took and passed NAPLEX in 2006. I know I have to take CPJE if I want to transfer my license to CA. Do I also have to take NAPLEX again?

2) NABP offers a service called Electronic Licensure Transfer Program. Do I need to use this service (and pay $300 :() in addition to filing my application to CA board of pharmacy?

Thank all of you for your help!

David

From what I understand, you must retake the NAPLEX again if you did not score transfer to California BEFORE taking the naplex, even if you did pass it after 1/1/2004. If you try to take the CPJE and use a NAPLEX score from another state without having it score transfered, then it's the same as reciprocity (which CA does not do).

Really? I have been understood that if you are active license in another state & passed the NAPLEX after Dec 2003, you just need to take CPJE. I could be wrong. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, California doesn't reciprocate with any state so if an applicant didn't indicate naplex score transfer to California before taking the test, then they must retake it.

Hello,

I did a score transfer prior in taking the naplex in 2008. With this being said, can I immediately take the CPJE now? I'm a licensed pharmacist in another state. Thanks.

CA now accepts pharmacist LICENSURE transfer(RECIPROCITY) from any state without retaking NAPLEX go to their website it was there. They changed that about 3 months ago

So, I can take it immediately if I'm licensed in another state? Do I have to practice for a year (out of state) then be eligible for the CPJE? NABP.net is saying I can take it immediately after passing the Naplex in 2004. Thanks for any clarification.

i just read their site

if you took the naplex after jan 1 2004 and passed, contact NABP to send score to sacramento and all you need to do is apply to CA bop, send 185 for cpje

if you passed naplex before jan 1 2004, then you will need to take both exams

CA now accepts pharmacist LICENSURE transfer(RECIPROCITY) from any state without retaking NAPLEX go to their website it was there. They changed that about 3 months ago

Interesting. Could you post a link where you found that? I looked at the bop website and could find nothing on that.

i just read their site

if you took the naplex after jan 1 2004 and passed, contact NABP to send score to sacramento and all you need to do is apply to CA bop, send 185 for cpje

if you passed naplex before jan 1 2004, then you will need to take both exams

Could you post a link to that? I was under the impression that you had to send your scores to CA before taking the exam or else you couldn't send it.

See page 4: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt2.pdf

"If another state is your primary state, your NAPLEX score can be transferred to California if you designate California as a score transfer state before you take the NAPLEX. Contact the NABP for more information about this process."

and page 2: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/exam_info_update.pdf

"Q: I passed the NAPLEX already and I am licensed in another state, how can I reciprocate my license?
A: California law does not allow for reciprocity. You are required, at least, to take and pass both the NAPLEX and CPJE on or after January 1, 2004."

See page 4: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt2.pdf

"If another state is your primary state, your NAPLEX score can be transferred to California if you designate California as a score transfer state before you take the NAPLEX. Contact the NABP for more information about this process."

and page 2: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/exam_info_update.pdf

"Q: I passed the NAPLEX already and I am licensed in another state, how can I reciprocate my license?
A: California law does not allow for reciprocity. You are required, at least, to take and pass both the NAPLEX and CPJE on or after January 1, 2004."

Yeah that's what I found too. Didn't see anything about CA accepting reciprocity.

I know this is an old thread, but I haven't found the answer I am looking for.

When I took the Naplex, I did do a score transfer to California. However, it's been over a year. Is it still good or is it only good for one year? I'm so overwhelmed with everything. Thanks in advance.

I called and found the answer. Apparently, it's indefinitely. I thought I read somewhere that it would only be good for a year. At least now I don't have to pay that extra $350

I tried to transfer my NAPLEX score online, before checkout it asked me just the quantity of states that the score supposed to be transferred. I wonder where I should choose the name of states that I want my score to be transferred?

Thanks in advance!:)

I think there is no time limit when you transfer your score but once you have received your att then you have a year to take it