CA Pharmacy Tech Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trekker34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was hoping some folks would be able to help me better understand the field of pharmacy technicians as I am interested in possibly exploring it as a career choice.

I am going to be moving soon back home to San Diego (sooooo happy!!!) and I have read that all you need to begin your career as a pharmacy tech in CA is to pass the PTCB exam and you can begin working immediately. I would like to confirm that is in fact correct and if doing so will only allow you to seek opportunities with retail pharmacies like CVS or with hospitals, as well?

Secondly, many posters have complained that many of the online schools tuition costs are very high and offer little in the way of gaining really anything. Most have said they have spent thousands of dollars and could have easily just studied for and taken the PTCB without the need to pay so much money and would have been able to begin working much faster. Just wondering if anyone had any comments about that and if any sort of formal education is really worth the time.

Third, I am curious as to many of the general differences between the retail and hospital settings. I have read many conflicting statements when it comes to salary potential. Some claim it's better in retail, other say hospitals. Personally, I would think that hospitals would offer their employees better pay and benefits, but perhaps not?

In SD county, the field of pharmacy technicians is growing exceedingly fast with a very good average salary. I am very interested in reading what others have to say about what I've asked and please don't hesitate to add anything in case you think that I've overlooked some key question or piece of information, as I am still in the exploratory phase of my investigation.

What's more, it seems like you can jump right into a retail setting but with hospitals they have many more requirements and/or certifications that are necessary. Scripps, for example, mentions IV room experience and in-patient care. How does one who is just starting out even go about acquiring in-patient care? Though I may be mistaken, it seems like the hospital route can take a lot longer to get started, but perhaps the rewards are also far greater (I.e. salary, benefits)?

There is a "nationally recognized" online course that I could begin right away, though it's about $2000, through SDSU. This is from the website:

"This 300-hour nationally recognized pharmacy technician online training program teaches the skills needed to gain employment as a pharmacy tech in either the hospital or retail setting. The program provides graduates with the skills and knowledge that will enable them to qualify for entry-level positions in pharmacies as well as prepare for national certification. This program includes a 40-hour internship, and a lab module with lab kit. Materials included."

The course outline goes into more detail what it offers but am wondering if something like this is the only way to obtain a position at a hospital? What's the internship like? Is working as a tech at a hospital really worth all this or is a retail setting truly the way to go?

I know that is a lot and I thank very much whoever decides to reply. :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. I can't tell you the exact requirements in CA, but I can shed some light onto your other questions perhaps. The PTCB is "easy" if you get the study book and actually read through it. This isn't the ACT, SAT, PCAT, MCAT, etc or anything like that. If you grab the study book and actually go through it you won't have a problem passing the exam.

2. Online school is a waste of money. I can tell by your grammar and writing that you are at least moderately intelligent and you won't have a problem with self study. You will be wasting your time and money paying for a tech program. I've seen trailer trash (yes seriously this guy lived in a trailer and was as white trash as they come) pass this exam. You can do it.

3. I worked for 5 years in retail and 8 in hospital. I was making ~$12/hr in retail and I make ~21/hr in hospital (+ more for differentials/TCT/etc). Some of that is because of my experience, but even newbies coming into hospital will be making ~$15/hr+. Most retail pharmacies around here start hiring at ~$9-10/hr. Your mileage may vary state to state or area to area, but where I live there is no question. Hospital is the way to go. It's easy to get into hospital here also, 1 year as a technician is all you need. I have heard from others that some areas getting into hospital as a tech is difficult though so again don't take my experience as universal.

4. Technician salaries are going to rise as all around the country it is getting to be more restrictive (requiring PTCB certification, yearly CEs, etc). In MN I can see them growing much faster than pharmacist salaries in the next few years especially.

5. Getting into hospital depends on your area. Again my hospital hires trailer trash with only 1 year of just having a tech license. We just recently hired someone that was let go at our sister hospital for failing the PTCB 6 times. So I think we are the exception rather than the rule.. but I'm sure there are hospitals out there with similar situations.

6. Don't take a course unless you have money to burn. At least here in MN if you have a pulse you can be a tech. You don't even need a HS diploma (though this is soon changing). Even if it is stricter in CA, I would look into other alternatives.. paying to be a tech is probably the biggest scam I've ever heard.. you can learn everything while working in situ.