CA Psych Assistant Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSMMad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information regarding becoming a private practice psych assistant in CA? I have read some of the stuff on the site from the Board of Mental Health/CA but am still confused a little. I am doing a 30 hour a week postdoc and am trying to supplement training/finances with doing a psych assistantship. Here are some questions off the top of my head:

1) Can I rent my own office, find a supervisor and split fees, and begin to build my private practice this way?
2) I heard you are NOT allowed to use supervisor's office or rent from them. Is this true?
3) What recommendations do you have in finding a supervisor?
4) Can it be the same supervisor that you have in your regular post doc setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any information regarding becoming a private practice psych assistant in CA? I have read some of the stuff on the site from the Board of Mental Health/CA but am still confused a little. I am doing a 30 hour a week postdoc and am trying to supplement training/finances with doing a psych assistantship. Here are some questions off the top of my head:

1) Can I rent my own office, find a supervisor and split fees, and begin to build my private practice this way?
2) I heard you are NOT allowed to use supervisor's office or rent from them. Is this true?
3) What recommendations do you have in finding a supervisor?
4) Can it be the same supervisor that you have in your regular post doc setting?

For us non-Californians (yes, we exist), what is a psychological assistant, exactly?

What is the difference between psych assistant vs. post-doc fellow vs. just a job where you still have some body sign your notes cause you are not ind licensed?