CA Resident, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.7, MCAT 35- School List/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mercedes_benzodiazepine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! I was hoping to get some input as to my school choices/how best to round out my list:
I have attended three different schools (two 4 years, and a community college in between).
My GPA at my current college is a 3.9, with strong upward trend, but freshman it was not very good, hovering around a 3.0
Overall, my cGPA is 3.6, with a sGPA of 3.7, with mostly As and a couple A- in my sciences classes
I am graduating in may with a Biology degree from a NY state school, though I am a CA resident.
I took my MCAT once, with a 35 (11,10,14)
ECs:
3 yrs assisting on autopsies with forensic pathologists
3 yrs doing pubic health research concerning MSM and HIV (mainly clinical research) at two research heavy medical schools.
3 yrs performing HIV/HVC testing in at risk communities
2 yrs paid tutoring in biology/chemistry
2 yrs volunteer tutoring in underserved areas
2 yrs doing biochemistry research at my school with a professor
1 yr shadowing a CT surgeon

I'm getting a LOR from my school's premed committee, as well as one from the pathologist I worked with, from the PI on the public health study, and the CT surgeon.

I am also not a URM

My two main concerns: Are my ECs enough? Should they more focused? I had decided to do more of the things I loved instead of the "check off the box" experiences. And how big of a red flag is it that I attended multiple schools? When I first started college, I really didn't like where I was and needed to make a change. While this is nothing I change at this point, is this going to hold me back?
Additionally, are there any more holes in my application that I am not seeing?

Schools I am planning on applying to:
UCSF
NYU
Columbia
Perlman School of Medicine-Pennsylvania
UC Davis
Albert Einstein
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Indiana Univeristy
UC Riverside
University of Washington
Stanford
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Hofstra
SUNY Stonybrook
Boston University
Temple
Drexel
Oregon Health and Sciences
Tulane
University of Chicago
Baylor
Chicago-Rosalin Franklin
Duke
George Washington
Georgetown
New York Medical College
Northwestern
Rutgers
Jefferson
University of Pittsburgh
UCSD
UC Irvine
UCLA
USC
Univeristy of Michiagan- Ann Arbor
University of Wisconsin

I realize this is a long list, but is there anything I should just take out? Are there schools that I am missing? Should I also apply DO? Overall, how do I stand as an applicant?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! Also, both my parents are MDs. Does this help, hurt, or really have no effect on the admissions process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Also, both my parents are MDs. Does this help, hurt, or really have no effect on the admissions process?
No effect. Alums often try to twist arms to get their children an interview, though.

Reactions: 1 user
But more importantly, are there red flags on my applicant profile (as far as multiple colleges, average GPA, ect)? Are there schools I am missing that I should apply to?

I think chances are excellent

I recommend:

NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Pitt
Northwestern
Emory
Vanderbilt
UC Davis
Albert Einstein
Tufts
UC Riverside (only if you're from the Inland Empire)
Mount Sinai
Hofstra
SUNY Stonybrook
Boston University
Tulane
Duke
George Washington
Georgetown
Northwestern
University of Pittsburgh
UCSD
UC Irvine
UCLA
USC
U AZ
U CO
U VM
Loyola
U Miami
BU
U So Florida
U Cincy
U Toledo
Wake Forest
Rochester

I think chances are excellent

I recommend:

NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Pitt
Northwestern
Emory
Vanderbilt
UC Davis
Albert Einstein
Tufts
UC Riverside (only if you're from the Inland Empire)
Mount Sinai
Hofstra
SUNY Stonybrook
Boston University
Tulane
Duke
George Washington
Georgetown
Northwestern
University of Pittsburgh
UCSD
UC Irvine
UCLA
USC
U AZ
U CO
U VM
Loyola
U Miami
BU
U So Florida
U Cincy
U Toledo
Wake Forest
Rochester

Thanks! Is the fact that I do not have hospital volunteering/"candystriping" on my resume a bad thing? Does this mean I lack clinical expirence in the eyes of Ad-coms (though I have so much pathology and HIV related work with patients)?

Here's the key thing: When you did this
3 yrs assisting on autopsies with forensic pathologists
3 yrs doing pubic health research concerning MSM and HIV (mainly clinical research) at two research heavy medical schools.
3 yrs performing HIV/HVC testing in at risk communities

Was this actually interaction with patients? Or were you doing the actual lab testing. If the latter, that's more like research, not clinical experience. If you were close enough to patients to smell them, THAT'S clinical experience!

What you want to show is that you know what you're getting into, and that you really do want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years.

Thanks! Is the fact that I do not have hospital volunteering/"candystriping" on my resume a bad thing? Does this mean I lack clinical expirence in the eyes of Ad-coms (though I have so much pathology and HIV related work with patients)?

Yes, I was doing research that involved in person interviews with harm assessments and sexual health histories being taken, as well as performing rapid HIV/HCV tests and delivering results. And as far as the autopsies, I was mainly doing evisceration and gross dissection, so I was up close and personal with the inside of all of those patients. I keep being told that most medical schools have an unspoken requirement for "hospital volunteering" . Is that just patently untrue?