MD & DO (CA Resident) cGPA-3.8 sGPA-3.7 MCAT-515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsala010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All school lists should be made using MSAR. It's a mandatory investment. Target schools with median MCATs in the 31-36 range and take at least 20% OOS. Start with the schools in your state.

Many UC schools have data that show where their grads have the most success with in admission year after year. Here are UCLA and UCSD's, I'm sure you can find similar data for other schools. I would pay attention to schools that UC grads seem to have success with year after year OOS( Saint Louis as an example).
UCSD
https://career.ucsd.edu/_files/Medicine admits 2010-12.pdf
UCLA

Being a Mexican URM with your credentials, there are plenty of schools, including those in CA that you will generate interest from.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to apply to DO schools unless you really want to go DO. Agree with investing in MSAR. I would target mid tier schools with some top 20s thrown in as well as all CA schools other than Loma Linda and Northstate. Perhaps throw in some schools like Hofstra and SUNYs too. ECs look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree 100% with my young colleague. OP is golden, aim high.

You shouldn't need to apply to DO schools unless you really want to go DO. Agree with investing in MSAR. I would target mid tier schools with some top 20s thrown in as well as all CA schools other than Loma Linda and Northstate. Perhaps throw in some schools like Hofstra and SUNYs too. ECs look good.

Which top 20s interest you?

I might stay away from Penn and WashU because your stats are closest to their 10th percentiles, but other than that pick around 6-9 that look interesting and call it a day.

USC
UCSF
UCSD
JHU
Duke
NYU
Pitt
Yale or Harvard
Baylor or Vandy

@Goro @WedgeDawg Thank you guys so much. I will definitely invest in the MSAR and begin to compose a list, however, right off the bat, what top 20's would you guys suggest? Also, I have been looking around at USC and am curious to know if my lack of publications and or presentations on my research would affect me there due to their emphasis on research. What about the other powerhouse research schools? Thanks

@Goro @WedgeDawg Thank you guys so much. I will definitely invest in the MSAR and begin to compose a list, however, right off the bat, what top 20's would you guys suggest? Also, I have been looking around at USC and am curious to know if my lack of publications and or presentations on my research would affect me there due to their emphasis on research. What about the other powerhouse research schools? Thanks
If you also speak Spanish and have commitment to serve local communities in CA, you are good to go.
USC will eat you up.

Reactions: 1 user
As a Mexican URM on top of the CA schools I would consider U of Minnesota, U of Illinois, and jesuit Schools.

Fill the rest of your list with the schools of your choice(top 20's). This should be plenty if you can interview decently.

Pay careful attention to the mission statements of these CA schools and tailor your essays and responses(both in writing and in an interview) in making yourself come across as the best fit possible for those schools.

@gyngyn @Goro @GrapesofRath So I actually attend a UC that gives a huge priority to alumni from their UG to their Medical School, I have a deep interest in serving the underserved communities of the Inland Empire, which is where i am from. One of my parents is a disabled veteran, so i have gotten my full tuition covered at my UC and if i get into a UC medical school, the tuition gets covered as well. Should i apply to all of the UC's? and if so, which ones do you guys believe are more community service oriented. UCR seems like a good fit.
All the UC's, Prime and Drew.