CA Resident - OOS friendly schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toby13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a CA resident with slightly below average stats. I wanted to know if the following schools were CA-resident friendly since I have a few more spaces for schools to add to my overall school list. Please let me know which ones on this list I can for sure cross off because they aren't OOS (CA) friendly!

University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
The Commonwealth College
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rush Medical College
New Jersey Medical School
Michigan State University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a CA resident with slightly below average stats. I wanted to know if the following schools were CA-resident friendly since I have a few more spaces for schools to add to my overall school list. Please let me know which ones on this list I can for sure cross off because they aren't OOS (CA) friendly!

University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine

The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
The Commonwealth College
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rush Medical College
New Jersey Medical School
Michigan State University
Morehouse School of Medicine (only if you're URM)
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine

Nearly all of them are not OOS-friendly. The only ones I would keep are the bolded ones, and maybe Michigan State. Brown's OOS percentage is inflated by their BS/MD students and they don't take all that many MD-only people. I highly recommend that you buy the MSAR (it's like $14 from the AAMC) since that will be a much easier way of getting this information.

Nearly all of them are not OOS-friendly. The only ones I would keep are the bolded ones, and maybe Michigan State. Brown's OOS percentage is inflated by their BS/MD students and they don't take all that many MD-only people. I highly recommend that you buy the MSAR (it's like $14 from the AAMC) since that will be a much easier way of getting this information.

the MSAR doesn't break down the OOS applicants by state. in other words, i can't tell whether OOS applicant interview/matriculated percentages are only from regional states near the schools in question or if they are from more than that..

but anyways, thanks for the info on Brown. I didn't know that before, so I'm most likely going to remove it now!

any others have advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
the MSAR doesn't break down the OOS applicants by state. in other words, i can't tell whether OOS applicant interview/matriculated percentages are only from regional states near the schools in question or if they are from more than that..

but anyways, thanks for the info on Brown. I didn't know that before, so I'm most likely going to remove it now!

any others have advice?

I'm not sure I understand, since most of these schools have a really low OOS interview percentage anyway, and if they favored regional applicants that just works against you even more.

Regardless, you can definitely cross off Commonwealth (wants to produce docs for NE Pennsylvania), Morehouse (HBC that favors URMs), the NJ schools (interview almost 100% IS) and Marshall (wants to produce primary care docs for WV). All I know about Illinois, UNC and Tennessee is that all have a very low OOS interview percentage.