CAC and AKO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went and tried to get an ID card and apparently need an AKO account to do so. I thought this was something still being processed and that I would be given one when all my commissioning paperwork made it through the pipeline, but I wandered over to the AKO website and it appears I can sign myself up for it there. Correct?

Now the difficult issue. There is apparently already an AKO account for my SSN. I'm assuming I got one when I went through the enlistment process after highschool (entered the delayed entry program and then withdrew when some scholarships came through). I have no idea what the username is, let alone the password. How do I retrieve/reset these? I checked the support page, but couldn't find anything applicable.

Members don't see this ad.

So I went and tried to get an ID card and apparently need an AKO account to do so. I thought this was something still being processed and that I would be given one when all my commissioning paperwork made it through the pipeline, but I wandered over to the AKO website and it appears I can sign myself up for it there. Correct?

Now the difficult issue. There is apparently already an AKO account for my SSN. I'm assuming I got one when I went through the enlistment process after highschool (entered the delayed entry program and then withdrew when some scholarships came through). I have no idea what the username is, let alone the password. How do I retrieve/reset these? I checked the support page, but couldn't find anything applicable.

You won't be able to get a CAC, because you are going on IRR (unless you're headed to USUHS). You will be looking for the green card. To get the green id, you just need to be in DEERS. You can call the DEERS office and ask if you're in the system yet, or you can just call the id card office and ask.

As for AKO, for what it's worth, my username is just "first.last name." You could try that. If that doesn't work, here is the link to ask them a question. That might get you some information on resetting the whole thing.

Also FWIW, anyone with an AKO account can look up your user name with your first and last name. So if it's not in the first.lastname format, you can get a buddy to look you up. Presuming you have a buddy with an AKO account. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DeadCactus- I'm confused. You're ASR in the National Guard, right?

For stuff like this, you should probably hit up your CO with questions like this. He'll be able to give you very specific information. For those of us in other states, we're going to be making recommendations blind.

Don't feel bad about speaking to your CO. You're full-time Guard and so is he. It's his job.

I'm in the Guard under the ASR program, so I think I'm fine for getting a CAC. They started putting me in DEERS and I think it's just waiting for approval at some level. So hopefully it's been approved since then and I can get my AKO set-up this week and get my card soon there-after.

Just trying to get it in time to get Federal Tuition Assistance for the Spring...

Thanks everyone for the help.

Edit:

notdeadyet - I contacted my CO and his staff; posted here as well to see where I got an answer faster. Just worried about missing out on FTA for next year.

notdeadyet - I contacted my CO and his staff; posted here as well to see where I got an answer faster.
No worries. You'll pretty much have to wait for your CO to get back to you on this one, though. Some of the advice is going to be more HPSP-specific and since you're ADSW in the National Guard, your case is a little different.
Just worried about missing out on FTA for next year.
You don't need to sweat it. The FTA is Army fiscal year, so the $4,500 you're eligible for should be between Oct-Oct.

You don't need to sweat it. The FTA is Army fiscal year, so the $4,500 you're eligible for should be between Oct-Oct.

Shoot, you're right. I knew that, but somehow it hadn't clicked that I could just claim it Fall of MS2 year and then again Spring of MS2 and then just claim it every subsequent Spring. I was afraid I'd miss out on a year of it.

That relaxes things a bit. Thanks.

No worries. Keep in mind it takes a while for the funds to come through. The Guard doesn't notify you, so you need to get in a kind word to your financial aid office so they can give you a call when it happens to put your mind at ease.

Contact the AKO helpdesk and they can give you the assistance you need.

By Email: [email protected]

By Phone:
Commercial: 1+703-704-4357
DSN: 312-654-4357
Source: http://enterprise-email.org/

The post you're replying to is 4-1/2 years old. If DC didn't figure it out by now, he's way behind on email...

Reactions: 1 user
Another one! And a first post necrobump at that. I am truly perplexed. What is the back story here? You just came across this super exciting contact information and felt compelled to share it?

There's something about AKO that just gets some folks that funny warm feeling inside....

Another one! And a first post necrobump at that. I am truly perplexed. What is the back story here? You just came across this super exciting contact information and felt compelled to share it?

I don't know how people find these 4+ y/o threads to bump - I mean, sure, search for "AKO". But we had one over in EM about a hospital obtaining Level I trauma status, and I don't EVEN know how that person got to that.

I don't know - maybe they're our new brainy bots. I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

I don't know how people find these 4+ y/o threads to bump - I mean, sure, search for "AKO". But we had one over in EM about a hospital obtaining Level I trauma status, and I don't EVEN know how that person got to that.

I don't know - maybe they're our new brainy bots. I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

That's what I find so fascinating. It's not like they had a question about AKO or a CAC, did a search, and then posted. It's as if they came upon this information and thought to themselves, "hmmm...I wonder if I can share this nugget of informational gold on SDN. I'll do a search and post." I would love to understand the underlying though process.