Cad/Cam crown vs Lab made porcelain crown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oralcare123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please advise which porcelain crown will block the metal post in a premolar better. In my opinion, lab made crowns are still better then office made ones, they are polished better and have better cosmetic properties. Tell me, if I am wrong. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It won't be the manufacturing method that makes a difference. The material is the important thing here. If you have a metal post and want to make a metal-free restoration consider zirconia. E.max or other ceramic materials will not be able to block out the low value of your post without being very thick.

And of course PFM is always a good option...

Exactly!! In the situation you describe, it's not as important as to how the crown is made as it is what the crown is made of for the most optimum esthetic results

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I should have asked differently: will a CEREC crown block a metal post as well as Zirconia core one. I always thought that it would not

I should have asked differently: will a CEREC crown block a metal post as well as Zirconia core one. I always thought that it would not

CEREC e.max? Why? Just get the lab to make a PFM or PFZ. Or redo the post as a fiber post…

To answer your question directly, no. Most (all) chair side milled products will not block out a metal post as well as an opaque material will.

Hi. I'm a dental lab, just joined this forum. But to answer ur question, Cerec crown can block put some metal post depending how thick the crown will be. But if it's a 2nd molar or even first u should be ok with a all zirconia crown(bruxzir type).

Can CAD/CAMs do implant abutments?

You bet! You can get scan bodies and use some type of intraoral scanner (like itero) to make a digital impression then have a custom abutment made. Or you can make a conventional impression and use a desktop scanner (like 3 shape) to do the same thing.

With the new cerec software update you can mill emax custom abutments chairside. You can also mill screw retained crowns chairside

you can make a conventional impression and use a desktop scanner (like 3 shape) to do the same thing.
1jY6yOa

did an emax crown on a premolar with an silver CPC that was already there. told the lab to use a very low translucency and it came out great. gave the lab tech plenty of room to mask the silver CPC. definitely would not try that on an anterior tooth though.