Caduceus vs Staff of Asclepius

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, that kinda bugs me. The Caduceus looks (and sounds)way cooler, but Asclepias is the "offical one". Stupid parasite wrapped around a stick, a double helix of snakes looks infinatly more awesome :D

Members don't see this ad.

I can believe that I have that symbol on me. I have been involved with EMS/emergency medicine since I was 17 and even if, for some reason, I am not able to attend medical school, I will stay in my current role and be involved with medicine that way. :)

I have been in EMS(as a Paramedic) for a while going on 7 years now. Here in chicago the EMS community is a little small. When we see people with the star of life, caduceus or whatever as a bumper sticker, tattoo or any other way they get a little laugh out of the more experienced people. The only tag you get is "Gung Ho." It's like those EMT-B's that walk around with their stethoscopes around their necks trying to get attention. It's funny, just a little bit.

Didn't realize what it was dubbed at the time?

I've always thought tat artists should inform girls before they start drawing..."uh you realize this is commonly known as a tramp stamp..."

Just make sure when you go to bars etc. you wear a shirt long enough to cover it (not hard anymore since midrifts aren't in style anymore). But I do know plenty of guys who automatically assume a girl is easy and will more frequently hit on girls with tramps stamps than girls without. So it really is a common belief by men

no, I had no idea the nickname for it, or even the implications.
I don't even think I have any shirts short enough for it to show, so I think I'm good. Damn... I regret this now lol

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a theory that the Rod of Asclepius comes from the traditional treatment of a guinea worm infection. The guinea worm is a parasite that's larval form lives in lakes. When someone drinks the water they become infected. Eventually the female worm becomes very long and migrates down the leg until its head emerges from the skin near the foot. Naturally, one would at that point want to grab said parasite and remove it from the leg. Unfortunately, the worm is nearly the length of leg and if it breaks off when you pull it it will cause an intense allergic reaction in the leg. So, the treatment that has been used to remove the worm is to wrap it around a stick and slowly turn the stick one or twice a day until it comes out.

Worm around stick = snake around staff, or so the theory goes. So keep that in mind when deciding on the tatoo

This is what I was taught in my Medical Helminthology class at Tulane.

Everyone keeps saying that the Caduceus looks better, but I disagree. The Caduceus looks fake and cartoon-like, whereas the rod of Asclepius looks more rugged and historic - like a valuable ancient artifact.

Either way, a tattoo should be about meaning, not just something that looks cool.

After taking a medical parasitology class, I can't see that symbol without thinking of this:
Guinea_worm.jpg

Maybe its just me but I wouldn't want to be reminded of that every time I see my tat.

How about the word "DOC" on the right arm.... FORUM FIVE *snap*!

Reactions: 1 user
Yum. Although I'm not so sure about the theory. A full fledged staff with a serpent being held by a Greek physician isn't exactly the same thing as a 4 inch stick with a parasite around it. Do guinea worms even exist in the Mediterranean?

Worm vs Snake - It'll never be resolved! They both have reasonable explanations, after all, the Aesculpiads did rever the snake for its "healing properties" and the worms were removed using a rod. Oh well, as far as the Caduceus goes, I think its a medical symbol now. So what if it wasn't the one used by the doctors of Kos, or that it was a mistake. Do we really think its the first time that a historical error has been made? :p The way I see it is, it is widely considered a symbol of medicine. Thus, it is a symbol of medicine.

I thought it was a general consensus that getting a medical tattoo, whether it be a snake on a stick or two snakes on a stick with wings, was kind of douchie..... but it seems like a lot of people either have them or are thinking of getting them. Then again, this thread is over a year old so maybe it was only a fad?

I thought it was a general consensus that getting a medical tattoo, whether it be a snake on a stick or two snakes on a stick with wings, was kind of douchie...

Here's one place we'll agree.

I'll even go as far as to say the bumper sticker, vanity plate, or shirt confirms douchebaggery.

Just make sure when you go to bars etc. you wear a shirt long enough to cover it (not hard anymore since midrifts aren't in style anymore). But I do know plenty of guys who automatically assume a girl is easy and will more frequently hit on girls with tramps stamps than girls without. So it really is a common belief by men

It's basically an "open for business" sign, just as the tongue ring advertises "I like to give oral."

I'm sorry you didn't know that at the time.

I think that all of you guys are confused. If you want the real deal of medical tattoos I would consider the DONO HARM two handed knuckle tattoo. that is what will get you real respect.

:horns:

-Roy

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's one place we'll agree.

I'll even go as far as to say the bumper sticker, vanity plate, or shirt confirms douchebaggery.

meh, I can understand a shirt that reps your school (mostly cuz Ill probably have one at somepoint, I'm in to school pride :thumbup:), its just kind of your lazy shirt that you throw on to when you go to school or lab or something..or maybe a little sticker that says X school of medicine.... the plate is kinda pushin it, but the tattoo deserves a swift kick in the balls.

There is a theory that the Rod of Asclepius comes from the traditional treatment of a guinea worm infection. The guinea worm is a parasite that's larval form lives in lakes. When someone drinks the water they become infected. Eventually the female worm becomes very long and migrates down the leg until its head emerges from the skin near the foot. Naturally, one would at that point want to grab said parasite and remove it from the leg. Unfortunately, the worm is nearly the length of leg and if it breaks off when you pull it it will cause an intense allergic reaction in the leg. So, the treatment that has been used to remove the worm is to wrap it around a stick and slowly turn the stick one or twice a day until it comes out.

Worm around stick = snake around staff, or so the theory goes. So keep that in mind when deciding on the tatoo

Well I was told that the snake shedding its skin was a sign of renewal and if anyone is religious then you would remember that moses had a serpent wrapped around a wooden rod and anyone who looked at it was healed. So that along with the actual mythology was the story I was told was behind that symbol. It was a symbol of healing way before the treatment of a worm came along

Because it's so hard to get laser removal later on...?

wow talk about CHEEESY. why dont you get a tattoo of "DOC" on your arm while you are at it?

you are pathetic. ugh

I would hope that finding out that half of SDN is going to hold hands and merrily skip down to the local tattoo parlor to get the exact same tattoo as you would make you realize what a horrible idea it is. Especially when their reason for the much is that if they wait too long they might realize what a horrible idea it is and not want to do it anymore.

And I have no problem with tattoos. Stereotypical and cliche tattoos though...

Some freshman premed tried to argue against using the staff of asclepius and instead the caduceus for a charity dodgeball tournament. I had to educate him but I think he still didn't believe me. Here's my first necro bump to hopefully teach the newbies here about the correct symbol.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

Our class T-shirts got the symbols mixed up too. Oops. The only people who really cared were already notorious for being obnoxious though.

Some freshman premed tried to argue against using the staff of asclepius and instead the caduceus for a charity dodgeball tournament. I had to educate him but I think he still didn't believe me. Here's my first necro bump to hopefully teach the newbies here about the correct symbol.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

You are a terrible person.

The snake on the staff of Asclepius is based on the way medicine was thought to work by the Greeks way back in the day. Essentially a sick person would go into a massive temple and a priest would administer some sedative. The patient would fall asleep and would be left alone. It was thought that then a massive snake would enter the chamber through a hole in the wall, wrap itself around the sick person and then leave. The next morning, the person would be cured. Gives you respect for how far medicine has come...

Also, I have never heard the guinea worm disease theory, but does this type of disease even exist near Greece where the legend of Asclepius developed? And was this therapy even known 2500-3000 years ago? My guess based on my knowledge of the history of medicine is absolutely no. Knowledge that a thing like a worm caused disease would have been paradigm shifting back then....and would completely contradict everything asclepius stood for, that is divine intervention in causing and curing disease.

Also, I always chuckle to myself when the caduceus is mistaken for the staff of asclepius. Besides not even being associated with medicine, it is a symbol that is represents good business and commerce....and to have it represent medicine....har har....shows what doctors are really after!

According to the newwest version of Kinn's book, under Medical Mythology it states that quote " the staff of Aesculapius is a common medical icon. it depicts a serpent encircling a staph and signifys the art of healing. The staff of Aesculapius has been adopted by the American Medical Association as the symbol of medicine. The mythological staff belonging to Hermes, the messenger of the gods, is the caduceus, which was thought to have magical powers. The caduceus is a winged staff encircled by two serpents. this icon is the medical insignia of the US Army Medical Corps, although it is often misused as a symbol of the medical profession.

According to the newwest version of Kinn's book, under Medical Mythology it states that quote " the staff of Aesculapius is a common medical icon. it depicts a serpent encircling a staph and signifys the art of healing. The staff of Aesculapius has been adopted by the American Medical Association as the symbol of medicine. The mythological staff belonging to Hermes, the messenger of the gods, is the caduceus, which was thought to have magical powers. The caduceus is a winged staff encircled by two serpents. this icon is the medical insignia of the US Army Medical Corps, although it is often misused as a symbol of the medical profession.
Was it really necessary for you to bump up a thread that's 7 years old? On another note, great first post! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
I read most of the posts here dismayed:
When one is injured or ill - that person when you come to their aid will invariably say thank God and breath easier - just by your presence.
It IS important to be associated with the correct symbol: Many I know look upon all in the Medical profession with great respect. Many view medical providers as 'Angels of Mercy' - let us keep that thought.

I will bump up an old thread:
The Rod of Caduceus: (two serpents around an rod) was for many years mistaken as the symbol of healing (medical provider) and placed on medical military vehicles until an high ranking officer in the military at the end of WW2 could stand it no longer and had the symbol corrected.

Caduceus: symbol of Hermes, God of commerce and thieves
Asclepius: is the symbol of the Greek God of medicine and healing

Regardless of the error of the past.....which would YOU desire to be associated with??? Choose wisely. You make a difference

I read most of the posts here dismayed:
When one is injured or ill - that person when you come to their aid will invariably say thank God and breath easier - just by your presence.
It IS important to be associated with the correct symbol: Many I know look upon all in the Medical profession with great respect. Many view medical providers as 'Angels of Mercy' - let us keep that thought.

I will bump up an old thread:
The Rod of Caduceus: (two serpents around an rod) was for many years mistaken as the symbol of healing (medical provider) and placed on medical military vehicles until an high ranking officer in the military at the end of WW2 could stand it no longer and had the symbol corrected.

Caduceus: symbol of Hermes, God of commerce and thieves
Asclepius: is the symbol of the Greek God of medicine and healing

Regardless of the error of the past.....which would YOU desire to be associated with??? Choose wisely. You make a difference
I think the caduceus is the perfect symbol for someone working locums, given that it's the symbol of mercenaries and commerce.

Caduceus is and always will be the medical symbol in my eyes, it's used by my beloved Hospital Corps, it's been used as the medical symbol for a long time. It's come to take that meaning, whether it's the "correct" symbol or not.

P.S. Go tell a Hospital Corpsman his tattoo is "douchie" :laugh: I personally don't have any tattoos but I don't see a problem with them. I don't see why people have to be on here trashing others for them.

Caduceus is and always will be the medical symbol in my eyes, it's used by my beloved Hospital Corps, it's been used as the medical symbol for a long time. It's come to take that meaning, whether it's the "correct" symbol or not.

P.S. Go tell a Hospital Corpsman his tattoo is "douchie" :laugh: I personally don't have any tattoos but I don't see a problem with them. I don't see why people have to be on here trashing others for them.

Agreed, although I don't actually know any HMs with caduceus tattoos.

Edit: I actually have 11 tattoos. I don't consider myself white trash. I guess some people might disagree, but I don't care. I also don't care what they look like when I'm 80. Because I'll be 80. Who gives a **** what your tattoos look like when you're 80?

Last edited:
Was it really necessary to bump a 10 year old thread? On the other hand, it did bring a smile to my face to see posts from both PandaBear and DermViser in the thread. :p

DO culture is pretty neurotic about using the Rod of Asclepius but I actually prefer it, anyway. Seems cleaner and more arcane I guess.