Cal State San Marcos Pre-Health Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarah.S.M

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

Has anyone applied or been accepted to the new pre-health program at Cal State San Marcos?

I am curious if anyone has found out anything about the program other than the basics which are posted on the schools website.

http://www.csusm.edu/el/certificateprograms/science/prehealthprof/

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied on July 24th to the program. I was notified that the application was complete (Transcripts, LOR and Personal Statement) on August 4th. They said I should receive a full evaluation within 4 weeks, cutting it close with classes starting on the 25th!

So far, "Cohort has not been filled"

Last edited by a moderator:
I received notice that my file was being reviewed about a week ago (all documents in). She said that it should take about a week to get a final answer.

I am just waiting now. I called today and left message to get update. I agree, it is just around the corner...kinda need to know soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of random...but the best teacher I've ever had in my life is now an associate/assistant (not sure) Professor of Organic Chemistry there :) Lucky lucky San Marcos students! If you have an opportunity to take Ochem from him, DEFINITELY do so (or any other class for that matter). PM for his name if you decide to go there.

I had some issues with the information on my evaluation being correct. Been on and off the phone to ensure that it gets fixed :(

Hmm That is odd. They confirmed with me everything was in and submitted to review. I would just confirm everything that comes through so you know you are gtg. My GPA was 3.3 UG- SDSU.

Hmm That is odd. They confirmed with me everything was in and submitted to review. I would just confirm everything that comes through so you know you are gtg. My GPA was 3.3 UG- SDSU.

Did you get your "Pre-Health Professions Evaluation Worksheet"? If so, you should be hearing soon. :highfive:

Guess what?!! I literally just got the acceptance letter! yay!

The acceptance came in an email from the Dean of Extended Learning CSUSM. =-)

Hate to resurrect a dead thread, but I was just recently accepted into this program and was wondering if there was anyone else on SDN that was applying or has already been accepted for Fall 2015?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to resurrect a dead thread, but I was just recently accepted into this program and was wondering if there was anyone else on SDN that was applying or has already been accepted for Fall 2015?
Yes! I was finally accepted to the 2015 cohort :)

Curious - how many days between receiving your "Evaluation Worksheet" showing they had all the docs/requirements and your acceptance notice?

Curious - how many days between receiving your "Evaluation Worksheet" showing they had all the docs/requirements and your acceptance notice?
For me it took about 2 months after I had all my documents in to receive an "evaluation worksheet" and then another two weeks after that to get an acceptance letter. I had to resend my transcript once I received the "evaluation worksheet" so maybe that's why it took longer

I received my evaluation worksheet and officially accepted my spot about 2 to 3 weeks later. I applied on the last day of the priority application period.

That being said - I am worried about financial aid. Have any of you gotten any updates on your financial aid packages or received the CRN from the program coordinator? Also, any news on orientation? I know the regular freshman and transfer classes have priority over us, but I really do need to know soon because I have to move (and find another job) if I decide to continue on and begin the program. Thanks! @nlhrmz @Campana

I received my evaluation worksheet and officially accepted my spot about 2 to 3 weeks later. I applied on the last day of the priority application period.

That being said - I am worried about financial aid. Have any of you gotten any updates on your financial aid packages or received the CRN from the program coordinator? Also, any news on orientation? I know the regular freshman and transfer classes have priority over us, but I really do need to know soon because I have to move (and find another job) if I decide to continue on and begin the program. Thanks! @nlhrmz @Campana
No news on orientation or financial aid :/ maybe just try to keep contacting them

@gonnif Yes. It's currently enrolling its' 2nd Cohort.

@snipza Unless the parameters have changed, you are only eligible for 1 year of financial aid. The summer session and 2nd year has to be financed through personal loans, or other means, but not by federal loans. Because it is a newer program, I'd be patient. Calling them doesn't speed up the process, at all. I've been there. Done that.

@gonnif Yes. It's currently enrolling its' 2nd Cohort.

@snipza Unless the parameters have changed, you are only eligible for 1 year of financial aid. The summer session and 2nd year has to be financed through personal loans, or other means, but not by federal loans. Because it is a newer program, I'd be patient. Calling them doesn't speed up the process, at all. I've been there. Done that.
That's what I was afraid of. Well, we'll see what happens. I know post-bacc students are still eligible for the State University Grant. At $24k for the program - that's gonna be a stretch as afar as affordability.

I just got my email of acceptance! I suppose it may or may not be a big deal to other folks, but I was nervous - this program looks as perfect as it could get with regards to the courses, the timeline, the schedule and my understanding is that they only have 20 spots or so.

I just got my email of acceptance! I suppose it may or may not be a big deal to other folks, but I was nervous - this program looks as perfect as it could get with regards to the courses, the timeline, the schedule and my understanding is that they only have 20 spots or so.
Congrats!! And trust me, I was nervous too!

As @PNWisBest and @Sarah.S.M have finished the first year and are getting into the summer session, I'm curious about your thoughts on the program...

Did you work full time while taking the courses? How did that go?
How was the pace / scheduling of the courses?
Has there been discussion of the psychological / social aspect of the new MCAT and incorporating coursework for that?
Are you planning to take the MCAT right away next Spring?

I suppose this might be better placed in the Post Bacc forum, but I'm not an expert poster and didn't know if you guys would see this one over there.

Thanks!

I worked full time during the first and second semester, taking off extra days around exams.

Scheduling of courses have been fine. Pace has been academically challenging and doable, which is exactly what one needs.

No discussion of the new social aspect of the MCAT or courses being added to satisfy that. A lot of our cohort comes from liberal arts degrees, so we probably would push against that addition for us. Maybe they'll add it for incoming cohorts.

Planning on taking the MCAT in either June or July, depending on how far I get in studying for it. The program puts you at a slight disadvantage because you'd traditionally take 3 months to study, but that puts you being verified in September (late for SDN standards).

Hope this helps! @Campana

Thanks for the details - this is great feedback @PNWisBest.

My plan is to continue with my current job/profession, full time (same thing, kids, work, volunteer, starting to look for shadowing) and want to make sure that I stay aware of the effect on grades. There is no use pursing this in a way that sacrifices the opportunity for success. On the flip side, I consider that this is a good trial run for medical school and residency to make sure I work hard to fit everything in, balancing to make sure I don't alienate my children. I have kept it in mind that this (not) small endeavor may require a loss of income sooner than later. I'm looking forward to the start of coursework and meeting the rest of the cohort - I imagine it'll be a good opportunity to run through the various plans.

Hello all,

I understand classes for this program are held during the evenings, but I am wondering how many times per week. Does anyone know? Also, I've been out of college for nearly 10 years and would like to know from those who have completed their first year if the program starts with reviewing the basics or if it starts off with advanced material.

I would be prepared for Monday-Friday from about 5:30 until 9? I can't remember the latest we've gotten out.. 9:30? Not too sure.

1st semester is Chem I, Bio I and Stats. While not basic, I didn't feel like I needed review for these and I hadn't taken a Chem class since 2007?

I would be prepared for Monday-Friday from about 5:30 until 9? I can't remember the latest we've gotten out.. 9:30? Not too sure.

1st semester is Chem I, Bio I and Stats. While not basic, I didn't feel like I needed review for these and I hadn't taken a Chem class since 2007?

Thank you for the information.

We just received the schedule for the new cohort's first semester, Fall 2015. Unless it changes between now and when it starts:

M - Bio 6-9
Tu - Chem & Stats 5:30-9
W - BioL 6-9
Th - ChemL 6-9
F - Chem & Stats 5:30-9

We just received the schedule for the new cohort's first semester, Fall 2015. Unless it changes between now and when it starts:

M - Bio 6-9
Tu - Chem & Stats 5:30-9
W - BioL 6-9
Th - ChemL 6-9
F - Chem & Stats 5:30-9

We suggested that they change the order of the chemistry classes for the incoming cohorts. Currently you take Chem I in the fall and Chem II in the summer. Kinda stinks because you've been removed from it for so long.

Who are the teachers?

Not all of the courses for Fall have a professor assigned yet:

Cellular & Molecular Bio - Professor Michael Burg
Bio Lab - TBD
Stats - Professor Lovelace
Chem - TBD
Chem Lab - Dr. Joseph Lennox

Are any of those repeat professors?

Your suggestion of keeping the Chemistry's together makes sense - maybe they are trying to keep it fresh for O-Chem in the Fall of 2nd year and allow some physics to sneak in without overwhelming everyone?

Michael Burg is awesome. We have him again this coming semester for Human Physiology.
Professor Lovelace is as equally amazing, had him for both Statistics and Calculus.:thumbup:

I hope you guys get Dickinson for Chemistry. She basically taught the entire General Chemistry book for the MCAT and I still remember everything. She's been my favorite. Good luck you guys!

@PNWisBest How many people in your cohort are applying to medical school? Did they help you with volunteer experiences, MCAT prep etc? I was admitted to Columbia's postbac (Fall 2015) and CSUSM (Fall 2015), but I think San Marcos may be a better fit for a number of reasons. Money is a variable, but not my primary concern. My concern with San Marcos is that they don't have the support that other well established programs provide. Any insight or opinion?

Everyone is planning on applying to medical school
How many people in your cohort are applying to medical school?

Volunteer experience is something one can find EASILY without help. Palomar, Tri-City, UCSD, Sharp, Rady's are just a small portion of the hospitals in the general vicinity that have ongoing volunteer orientations and flexible schedules. No need for guidance on that point.

As far as MCAT prep, besides us taking these classes, we have received some emails of free seminars and some helpful online links. There is no separate class or talk of one for the MCAT. As a cohort, we may establish our own MCAT review sessions this next year and take a review course.

This is a new program and of course can't compare to how established Columbia is. However, If I had to do it over, I would still chose this program. I think it really depends on how much of an extra mile you're planning on going to secure everything you need to get yourself into Medical School.

I know this thread has been dormant for quite a while, but I applied to the fall 2016 cohort for the Feb 26th priority deadline and want to know if anyone else was applying for cohort 3.

Also does anyone else have a timeline on the acceptance letter/email?

Finally can anyone from a previous cohort give me an idea about my chances? last 60 units- 3.3 UC Davis, cumulative-3.5

Thanks

I know this thread has been dormant for quite a while, but I applied to the fall 2016 cohort for the Feb 26th priority deadline and want to know if anyone else was applying for cohort 3.

Also does anyone else have a timeline on the acceptance letter/email?

Finally can anyone from a previous cohort give me an idea about my chances? last 60 units- 3.3 UC Davis, cumulative-3.5

Thanks

Hi, I also applied for the fall 2016 cohort. I received my evaluation worksheet but I haven't heard anything yet regarding the acceptance letter/email.

Hi, I also applied for the fall 2016 cohort. I received my evaluation worksheet but I haven't heard anything yet regarding the acceptance letter/email.

The front desk at the extension couldn't quote me any time frame which made me think at least 8-10 weeks. But im thinking I heard it takes about 3-4 weeks. He did give me a good piece of evidence about the size of the applicant pool. He said there were "several dozen" interested inquiries. Im checking my email furiously everyday but I will let you know either if I get a hopefully good or not.

The front desk at the extension couldn't quote me any time frame which made me think at least 8-10 weeks. But im thinking I heard it takes about 3-4 weeks. He did give me a good piece of evidence about the size of the applicant pool. He said there were "several dozen" interested inquiries. Im checking my email furiously everyday but I will let you know either if I get a hopefully good or not.

Oh wow, okay thanks for the info. That sounds like a pretty big applicant pool. I'll let you know if I hear anything as well!

Last edited:
Just talked to the front desk. They said 4-6 weeks from the deadline. Just FYI

Just heard about 2 hours ago! So happy! Good luck !

Just woke up and got the email too! Ahhh, I'm so excited for this to start haha
You should introduce yourself in the fall 2016 cohort page. Im gonna do the same tomorrow. Congrats!

You should introduce yourself in the fall 2016 cohort page. Im gonna do the same tomorrow. Congrats!

Oh, I didn't know there was a 2016 cohort page on here. Thank you! And congrats to you too!

Hi! I actually also applied to the Fall 2016 cohort 3. I have been placed on the waitlist and I was wondering if someone knows any information about that. I have called and emailed multiple times and my advisor is not able to give me a complete answer as to what is going on.

Thank you!

Hi Yvette! I don't have any solid information about the wait list but I know that they just started to do selection for the second admission cycle. It took about 4 weeks for the results to come out, so unfortunately there's gonna be a little wait to find out, but I hope you make it into the cohort!

Good luck and all the best!

Everyone is planning on applying to medical school

Volunteer experience is something one can find EASILY without help. Palomar, Tri-City, UCSD, Sharp, Rady's are just a small portion of the hospitals in the general vicinity that have ongoing volunteer orientations and flexible schedules. No need for guidance on that point.

As far as MCAT prep, besides us taking these classes, we have received some emails of free seminars and some helpful online links. There is no separate class or talk of one for the MCAT. As a cohort, we may establish our own MCAT review sessions this next year and take a review course.

This is a new program and of course can't compare to how established Columbia is. However, If I had to do it over, I would still chose this program. I think it really depends on how much of an extra mile you're planning on going to secure everything you need to get yourself into Medical School.

Hello,

I believe your cohort will be completing the course this summer. Have you or any of your classmates applied to a medical schools yet? If so, how is this program viewed by Medical Schools? Do you think the program prepared you guys well enough for mcat and also for med school?

Hello,

I believe your cohort will be completing the course this summer. Have you or any of your classmates applied to a medical schools yet? If so, how is this program viewed by Medical Schools? Do you think the program prepared you guys well enough for mcat and also for med school?

We've already completed the program. Most are studying, filling out primaries and getting ready to take the MCAT this next month. No idea how it will be viewed until interviews, if they mention it. The classes are the classes you need. Your effort is what prepares you for the MCAT and your success in getting into med school.