Cal State San Marcos Pre-Health Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@PNWisBest Good luck on the MCAT if you haven't already taken it. A couple questions for you: Do you think working part time would negatively impact the performance in the program or is it slow enough that I wouldn't feel crazed? What was the hardest class? O-Chem? lol. What would be your best advice for a new student in the program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

@PNWisBest Good luck on the MCAT if you haven't already taken it. A couple questions for you: Do you think working part time would negatively impact the performance in the program or is it slow enough that I wouldn't feel crazed? What was the hardest class? O-Chem? lol. What would be your best advice for a new student in the program? Thanks.

Thanks. I did take it, just waiting on scores.

I think it really comes down to what you can handle. I worked FT for the first year, and part time for the second year. It was hectic and I didn't have much free time the first year, so I made an adjustment knowing id have to be studying for the MCAT, too. It's not "slow".

Physics was the hardest course sequence for me. It took a while to grasp that actual numerical answers were less important and you needed to understand the theory. I still do not enjoy physics, even while studying for the MCAT. OChem and biochem were my absolute favorite, I may be the wrong person to ask for this...

Just go into the program knowing that nothing is handed to you. If you want to get into medical school, do your research and know (inside and out) exactly what you need to do to get there. Don't wait for someone to tell you. Start your volunteering, secure your shadowing, make relationships with your teachers and keep your grades stellar. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually in the CSUSM postbac program in cohort2, but withdrew and is currently at the CSU LA program. I would not recommend this program to anyone. There are so many issues with it, not sure where to start. I was there for only one semester because I didn't want to waste any more money. Was really excited at the beginning then slowly I saw the flaws in the program. One of the biggest flaw is the person running the program. Pillsworth, I think that's his name. Assuming he still there. He used to run the nursing program there. Nursing is completely different from preparing students for MD programs. Secondly, the professors are nice individuals but horrible professors. With the exception of the BIOL 210 professor and the stats professor. They're both great. But chemistry professor is terrible despite numerous complaints on her she managed to still teach Chem. Mainly because she's friends with head of the program. Most of the people in cohort 2 struggled with Physics because the program's curriculum is backwards. I mean I can go on and on, but the point is don't waste your money on this program, to this day no one made it to med school from the program. People drop out after the first or second semester. The director of the program blamed it on so many things like financial aids and such but do your research, don't waste a whole semester like I did. Cohort 1 had less than 10 people by the end of their cohort yr. cohort 2 only have about 11-12 people as of now. Cohort 3 is fast shrinking from 28-32 people to now at 20-21 left. The average number of people who actually finish the program will be around 8-10 students.

Last edited:
While I respect Nerd92's opinion in the last post, there are some inaccuracies. As someone who actually complete the entire program at CSUSM I would definitely like give some insight and a different perspective. The first thing I would like clear was that I was accepted to Columbia, but went to CSUSM and for my own personal reasons. I knew that being a relatively new program there would be some deficits, but I liked the idea of a small more intimate class setting. I had researched programs extensively and felt that it was a calculated risk I was willing to take. To come into a year old program and expect everything to run smoothly is fairly naive. The people who left the program were generally uninformed or unprepared for the intensity and commitment necessary for any formal postbac. Most of the faculty were outstanding and wanted us to succeed because they could see our desire and effort to truly learn the material. They did everything in their means to help engage us and even mildly modified some subjects to highlight our interests in the medical field. The faculty advisor was an inappropriate fit for the program, but with our cohorts input he has been removed and replaced. Some classes have been rearranged to keep continuity for year long courses.

Pros:
  • The Professors are amazing- specifically the chemistry professors so my experience was very different than nerd92.
  • I do agree one of physics professors was not the best fit as he has always taught upper division. He had difficulty simplifying concepts for an intro course
  • You are guaranteed all your courses/labs and the class/lab size is small
  • Since you stay with the same cohort you tend to become a tightly knit group
  • Everyone who completed the program was driven and completely supportive of each other. The cut throat atmosphere that can be found in other universities was almost nonexistent.
  • The cost seemed very reasonable relative to other programs
Cons:
  • Like I stated above this is a new program so there will always be some difficulties that have been smoothed out in older programs
  • You have to be your own advocate for volunteer resources, shadowing, MCAT prep. I feel being resourceful and aggressive in finding your own resources just strengthens qualities a good physician should have. They did mention they would look into building MCAT prep into the program.
  • Communication regarding tuition and tuition billing was difficult every semester- always seemed like their was an error with over and undercharging
  • Biochem was done in the last semester which pushed back when most people will take their MCAT (so most are applying next cycle)
  • This program was labeled a career changing program, but many of us found out that several members were academic enhancers. Shocking that they would place everyone in the same program. Most programs separate enhancers from changers so you do not skew the grade distribution.
Lastly 17 people graduate cohort 2- there are 2 dental students and the rest are premed (not 11-12). Most are applying next year so there won't be admission stats for at least 2 years. I highly recommend if you have not taken math, science or have been out of school for some time to take some courses at the junior college during the summer prior to the program starting. I struggled with the math portion because I had not taken any since undergrad and I think it could have been avoided with a refresher course. This also allows you to regain your study skills and mentally prepare for the intensity.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I did take it, just waiting on scores.

I think it really comes down to what you can handle. I worked FT for the first year, and part time for the second year. It was hectic and I didn't have much free time the first year, so I made an adjustment knowing id have to be studying for the MCAT, too. It's not "slow".

Physics was the hardest course sequence for me. It took a while to grasp that actual numerical answers were less important and you needed to understand the theory. I still do not enjoy physics, even while studying for the MCAT. OChem and biochem were my absolute favorite, I may be the wrong person to ask for this...

Just go into the program knowing that nothing is handed to you. If you want to get into medical school, do your research and know (inside and out) exactly what you need to do to get there. Don't wait for someone to tell you. Start your volunteering, secure your shadowing, make relationships with your teachers and keep your grades stellar. Good luck!

Hello,

I'm wondering if you have started medical school already or been accepted to any medical schools.