California 2009 Post Bacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person X

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I will start this thread since I have not seen a posting for this. Is that time of the year and the application cycle has started for the California post bacs. Are there any people out there applying this year? Which post-bac do you want to get into and why?

I personally would like to get into the Davis program. I feel that "all" the post bacs will likely increase your chances of admission to a medical school since they all focus on increasing your GPA and prepare you for the MCAT. I think the Davis program would be the easiest for me in terms of relocation, school, money, etc. :)

Anyway, this is just me. What about you all?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm also applying to California schools for port-bac. I plan on sending my app. to all of them. I live in Southern California, so UCLA, UCI,UCSD are my top choices. From what I hear, they are all great at preparing you for med. school. I personally would like to go to UCLA or UCI. I hear UCI program is more personal. They really help you improve and offer a lot of help. The UCLA program has a history of letting you find your own path instead of one-on-one. I kinda prefer that, because I don't want to be pressured into taking too many courses at one time. I am a first time applicant and plan on taking the MCAT in May and see how I do. I have heard great things about Davis too.

When do you plan on sending your app?

I'm thinking about applying, but it sounds like it's for minorities. Is that right?

Did you guys send a letter from a "community service" like it asks for or just use a professor instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis is the best postbacc ever!!!! I was in the 2007-2008 class. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Any questions, let me know, I will be around here. God bless!

Hello, I'm glad ths thread is posted..so have you all applied already? Do we have to have a community service letter?? Is it true that each school accepts like 15 students only??

Hello, I'm glad ths thread is posted..so have you all applied already? Do we have to have a community service letter?? Is it true that each school accepts like 15 students only??

My class had 14 of us and about 400 apps. I didn't have a community service letter. I had one from my mentor who is a doctor, 2 professors and my advisor, at least I believe.

Regarding the community service letter, I spoke to the director of admissions and she said that it was not needed. Letters from professors and ANY volunteer work would be okay.

I have completed the application and plan on submitting it within the week.:)

Anyone else?

Do any of the Cali postbaccs accept non-California residents? Some sources say UCLA does. Anyone knows for sure

Where did you find out that it was about 400 apps??

Where did you find out that it was about 400 apps??

We were told about how many people applied to the Davis program after we got in. But I know that the year after me they got even more apps. So this year, who knows. But still go for it because you never know what will happen. I wasn't even going to apply and then next thing you know, I had an interview and then an acceptance.

We were told about how many people applied to the Davis program after we got in. But I know that the year after me they got even more apps. So this year, who knows. But still go for it because you never know what will happen. I wasn't even going to apply and then next thing you know, I had an interview and then an acceptance.

I think you just discouraged me from applying heh

I think you just discouraged me from applying heh

My apologies. I would never discourage anybody from applying to anything. I am saying that you should go for it. Give it your all and you never know. I really didnt mean to do that. I was just answering a question. It is tough to get into, but its just like trying to get into med school. If you want it, go get it and who cares what the numbers or stats say. Also, make sure you pray, pray, pray! I am here to support and answer any questions yall got. God bless!

do you have to be a cal. resident to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not applied yet, but will be. As BlackDr2b said, it is very competitive. You do not have to be a California resident to apply, but keep in mind that you will be charged out-of-state tuition. Now, for some people that might not be a problem, especially, if your family or relatives are helping you out in the area. I would probably say that the most expensive ones to do would be UCSF and UCSD (La Jolla is pretty expensive, probably just as San Francisco).

You do not have to have a letter of rec from your community service supervisor. In fact, I believe they tell you at the consortium website the types of letters that you should be submitting, but are not firm in terms of the type of letter. What you want is a recommender that can speak well of you.

From the website:

Three letters of recommendation. One letter must be from a science instructor, one from a community service experience and the third can be from either a professor or employer of your choice.

Letters of recommendation play a very important role in our selection process, and the review committee is interested in receiving information on the applicant's intellectual ability, motivation, honesty, commitment, initiative, reliability, maturity, and personal attributes. We also ask that you address the strengths and weaknesses of this student that may affect his/her suitability as a medical student and physician.

Good luck to everyone! :xf:

^ I went to UCSD, UCSF, AND UC Davis websites for the post-bac and all said you have to be a cali resident. Do you know of any cali programs that accept out of state students?

If that is what the websites say, then they might have changed their policies for this year due to the budget cuts. I remember people could apply from other places in the past.

has anyone heard anything yet?

Last edited:
I will be turning in my app. today. Wish me luck! I'll let you know if I hear anything.

I found out that UCSD is starting interviews March 9th!... I also saw that UC Davis and UCSD has rolling admissions...does that mean you might hear earlier? or not....

I'll be applying this year also. I haven't sent anything out yet though..still working on the apps!

Good luck to everyone who's applying!

Hey all,

I'm so excited, I just received an email from UCI granting me an interview for the post-bac program!

Has anybody else heard anything?

Hey Icure! Congrats on the interview invite!

When did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

Hey all,

I'm so excited, I just received an email from UCI granting me an interview for the post-bac program!

Has anybody else heard anything?

Congrats Icure!!! Seems like you just applied couple of days ago..That was one fast response.!

Thank you! Yea, I thought it was a quick reply as well. I sent my required documents about two weeks before I actually sent in my application online. I believe I completed my application 3-12. My interview date is 3/24 at 10 a.m. :xf:

Good luck everyone!:)

Wow! So it only took them 7 days to respond! That's amazing! I wish you the best of luck on your interview!

Congrats man, hope it goes well.

I am just now finishing up my application. I was wondering, how many letters of rec did you provide and did you have some research background (3rd essay).

Thanks man and best of luck with your interview.

How was the interview Icure?

Hello everyone, thank you so much for all the support! :DThe interview went very smooth. :thumbup:I was interviewed by 2 very nice ladies and it took place in the director's office. The questions asked were very similar to the questions that they would ask in a medical school interview, Here are some I remember:

Why medicine?, Why a post bacc program?, Tell me something unique about you that you will add to the program?, What do hope to gain from the program?, Tell me how you have taken advantage of help while an undergrad?, How have you been active in the community?, Give me an example of you being a team member?

I feel like I did well, they were extremely nice and the interview felt like no pressure.

Tretch, I do have one year of research background but I did not provide a research letter. We are currently active in project so I wanted to wait until the project ended to ask for a letter. My letters that I sent included one science, one none science, one hospital letter (shadow work), and one letter from a TA.

By the way......They told me that this was their second week of interviews, so get those applications in ASAP!

Thanks so much for letting us know how it went and posting up the interview questions. Do you know when they will reach their decision about your application? Good luck!

Mandanesss,

Thanks for the good wishes. They told me that they would get back to me within the next two weeks.

Wow, they are fast! I spoke with the director at UC Davis and she said that they are currently meeting to discuss how the interviews will be conducted. Anyway, my app was verified on the 17th, so I hope I hear from someone soon!

Tretch, I do have one year of research background but I did not provide a research letter. We are currently active in project so I wanted to wait until the project ended to ask for a letter. My letters that I sent included one science, one none science, one hospital letter (shadow work), and one letter from a TA.

Thanks for the update and hope you get a in man. I'm just finishing up my essays but I also have CSU eastbay as a backup. If I may ask, how were your grades. (i.e. were you right around the eligibility cut off?)

Thanks for the info on the interviews also.

Wow, they are fast! I spoke with the director at UC Davis and she said that they are currently meeting to discuss how the interviews will be conducted. Anyway, my app was verified on the 17th, so I hope I hear from someone soon!

Hey what do you mean by "verified"? .. as far as I know..my application just says complete..you mean they call you and say that its been verified or something like that??

Thanks for the update and hope you get a in man. I'm just finishing up my essays but I also have CSU eastbay as a backup. If I may ask, how were your grades. (i.e. were you right around the eligibility cut off?)

Thanks for the info on the interviews also.

Hey icure..your answer to the above question would really help me out too? Thanks..appreciate it

Hey Medlove,

Sorry, I meant that it was set complete. However, the consortium central administrator did call to verify a couple things about my application. Not sure if he does that for everyone. Maybe mine was confusing?

My grades illustrate a constant upward trend since my freshman year.I am above the cutoff. I will be receiving my Winter Quarter 09 grades this Friday and plan on calling the schools to update my application.I think everyone should do this as well. I will post my grades and GPA after I get my Winter grades.

Last edited:
Hey Medlove,

Sorry, I meant that it was set complete. However, the consortium central administrator did call to verify a couple things about my application. Not sure if he does that for everyone. Maybe mine was confusing?

lol..you got me worried for a sec. I'm waiting out each and everysingle day...with extreme butterflies..tensed..nervous..you name it.. but I heard that interviews go all the way up to the beginning of june... So I have faith..God is good!

lol..you got me worried for a sec. I'm waiting out each and everysingle day...with extreme butterflies..tensed..nervous..you name it.. but I heard that interviews go all the way up to the beginning of june... So I have faith..God is good!

Yea, I also heard that they go well into May and early June. I also have faith,faith is important...God is good! I like your positiveness

I have faith too. God is amazing and I know he'll do what's best. I'm just so anxious!

Has anybody else heard anything back yet?

Has anybody else heard anything back yet?

lol..All I hear is the ticking of a clock in pin drop silence...I wish I did but nothing so far..something about you must have really stood out to get it that early :D
What about the dis-advantaged part? did they mention that in the interview at all?? Because I read at last years postings...where one person said at the interview they ask something like how do you consider yourself disadvantaged..

lol medlove!

Regarding the interview, I did not get a question about why I consider myself disadvantaged. Maybe they changed the Q's or ask different questions every time.

lol..All I hear is the ticking of a clock in pin drop silence...I wish I did but nothing so far..something about you must have really stood out to get it that early :D
What about the dis-advantaged part? did they mention that in the interview at all?? Because I read at last years postings...where one person said at the interview they ask something like how do you consider yourself disadvantaged..

lol medlove!

Regarding the interview, I did not get a question about why I consider myself disadvantaged. Maybe they changed the Q's or ask different questions every time.

maybe you just didn't look it..:p hehe..so they were probably like..whats the point..

I just submitted mine like 2 days ago so hope I hear something soon. What are your guys' alternatives aside from UCPB?

I am a socal resident, and would LOVE to do my post-bacc in Cali. However, I saw on the UC websites that all the post-baccs are for economically-disadvantaged students. Is there any way they will consider me if I am not economically disadvantaged? I would REALLY appreciate a response to this Q, because the deadlines are approaching and I would love to apply if there is a chance I could get in.

Thanks!

If there is no way I can apply to these programs without being economically disadvantaged, what are my other options? I am interested in UCSD, UCLA, UCI. Can I do an informal post-bacc at these schools?

Unfortunately, you cannot apply to the program if you are not economically disadvantaged. You could probably do an informal post-bacc through something like UCLA Extension.

Last edited: