California: 33 MCAT, 3.80 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sives

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and thank you for your time. I am currently planning on applying to all of the California schools, several top 20s, plus other OOS that I haven't figured out yet. Any help with schools to aim for would also be helpful.
Major: Bioengineering.
cGPA = 3.80, sGPA = 3.77

MCAT: 34 (12 PS, 11 V, 11 BS)

-Clinical volunteer activities: EMT volunteer for campus, worked in ambulance for 1 semester

-Physician shadowing: ER Physician for 200 hours

-Research: 3 years (1 year in 1 lab, 2 in another) in bioengineering labs. Including 1 publication for the second lab (a biomaterials/tissue engineering lab). Also recieved a research fellowship for my work in that lab. Commitment: 15 hours per week during the year, and ~40 per week during summers.

-Nonclinical volunteer activities: Helped start a program/class which teaches engineering undergraduate students the engineering design process, while solving various community problems. I helped start it, starting as an engineering team lead, and becoming the director and course teacher. Commitment: 5 hours per week, per semester.

-Employment: Paid for research by fellowship (40 hours per week), worked as an EMT doing BLS for 1 semester (12 hours per week).

I would love to know what schools to shoot for. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

All medium to high to high tier schools. And do it NOW!

Hi everyone, and thank you for your time. I am currently planning on applying to all of the California schools, several top 20s, plus other OOS that I haven't figured out yet. Any help with schools to aim for would also be helpful.
Major: Bioengineering.
cGPA = 3.80, sGPA = 3.77

MCAT: 34 (12 PS, 11 V, 11 BS)

-Clinical volunteer activities: EMT volunteer for campus, worked in ambulance for 1 semester

-Physician shadowing: ER Physician for 200 hours

-Research: 3 years (1 year in 1 lab, 2 in another) in bioengineering labs. Including 1 publication for the second lab (a biomaterials/tissue engineering lab). Also recieved a research fellowship for my work in that lab. Commitment: 15 hours per week during the year, and ~40 per week during summers.

-Nonclinical volunteer activities: Helped start a program/class which teaches engineering undergraduate students the engineering design process, while solving various community problems. I helped start it, starting as an engineering team lead, and becoming the director and course teacher. Commitment: 5 hours per week, per semester.

-Employment: Paid for research by fellowship (40 hours per week), worked as an EMT doing BLS for 1 semester (12 hours per week).

I would love to know what schools to shoot for. Thanks again!

haha thanks for the quick response! For the record, I am a rising junior atm, so my normal application cycle would be to apply in 2014. Why do you say do it now? Because of the new MCAT? I was considering taking a year off before applying to boost everything, but I wasn't sure if schools would prefer the new MCAT after it becomes available. Thanks again!

Sorry; I thought you were senior ready to apply. Knee-jerk reaction. For MD schools it's already, well, late in the cycle. You're fine and I don't see a need for a gap year unless something really interesting is calling to you, like a stint in Teach for America or the Armed Forces Reserves.

Your numbers are nicely above avg. So have fun in the next year and good luck!

haha thanks for the quick response! For the record, I am a rising junior atm, so my normal application cycle would be to apply in 2014. Why do you say do it now? Because of the new MCAT? I was considering taking a year off before applying to boost everything, but I wasn't sure if schools would prefer the new MCAT after it becomes available. Thanks again!