California Board of Pharmacy Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerxd53

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard recently from a friend who graduated from an out-of-state school that california board of pharmacy takes much longer (+90 days) in approving out-of-state students vs. california students to sit for NAPLEX and CPJE, meaning california students get priority over out-of-state students. Does anyone know if this crazy delay is normal? I am a california resident but an out-of-state pharmacy student hoping to graduate in May this year, so i am worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated May 2014. I got my ATT in september. I took my CPJE in mid sept, got my results back in mid oct. Got licensed at the end of october. 90 days? More like 6 months! Some of my friends that failed the CPJE are still not licensed yet. Almost been 9 months

Graduated in May 2014 out of state, but CA resident. Didn't get my ATT until August. Took CPJE second time around on 12/19. Still not licensed. It's really ridiculous. In state students last summer got their ATT 2 weeks after they graduated. I submitted my application a month before they graduated and still didn't get my ATT until way later. Had I known this was their process I would have never come back and just practiced where I went to school.

I am expected to finish all my rotations and requirements in March, but graduation is in May, so can I still apply without the diploma? Will this speed things up? or will they delay it even further? Also, does making California primary state to practice makes time difference in the process? If another state is put as primary and california as secondary, would that speed things up meaning taking NAPLEX in another state and having that score transferred and just take the cpje?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dropped off application & check to BOP in person mid-June 2012, I sat for NAPLEX around July 16th and CPJE one week later. Therefore the ATT should have arrived in < 30 days. Eventually licensed around end-of-August. I was also an out-of-state applicant.

California was my only state of application, I was a CA resident. I made sure to take the CPJE before the anticipated QA cut off that happens almost every august. That made the difference in ultimate licensure date vs. some people who lagged.

California graduates get priority because schools bundle their applications locally and send them en masse to the BOP who processes them in bulk, but the advantage isn't that much (2 weeks processing vs. 3-4 weeks during my year).

Reactions: 1 user
I am expected to finish all my rotations and requirements in March, but graduation is in May, so can I still apply without the diploma? Will this speed things up? or will they delay it even further? Also, does makingh California primary state to practice makes time difference in the process? If another state is put as primary and california as secondary, would that speed things up meaning taking NAPLEX in another state and having that score transferred and just take the cpje?

There is honestly no way to speed up the process but taking the Naplex in the state that you graduated from will ease your mind a little. Originally I was going to take my Naplex with CA as my primary state but after studying and waiting almost 30+ days without receiving my ATT I decided to submit my paper work to the Florida board of pharmay (the state where I graduated from) and score transfer my Naplex scores from FL to CA. This was absolutely the best decision because I was expereincing a lot of anxiety while waiting to hear back from the CA BOP and got to a point where I knew I was ready to take the Naplex. So I actually passed my Naplex, NABP sent scores to the CA BOP, and the CA BOP notified me that they received my passing Naplex scores even though I still was waiting on my CA paperwork to go through/waiting to schedule for the ️CPJE. So here was my timeline.

1. FL graduate submitted paperwork to ️CA BOP 5/1/14 (attempted to avoid QA)
2. Graduated 5/3/14
3. Applied to sit for Naplex with Florida as primary state and transfer scores due to anxiety and playing the waiting game with CA BOP: 7/6/14 approved 7/10/14
4. Took Naplex 7/14/14
5. Received confirmation from CA BOP that they received my score transfer 7/25/14 (still had not heard anything about my CA paper work going through)
6. CA paper work finally approved and scheduled CPJE 7/28/14 (no dates prior to 8/1/14 were abailable so I got stuck in QA
7. Took CPJE 8/8/14
8. Received passing CPJE score 9/12/14
9. License posted to CA BOP 9/17/14

It's a very very long process and with all that said I was thankful that I had gotten the Naplex out of the way and was able to focus on CPJE (took a five day study break after taking Naplex). Lastly, I could be wrong but I honestly think that the CA BOP makes it impossible for out of state students to avoid getting stuck in the QA.

Last edited:
I rec to get the license where you went to school, practice one year or so, and then apply CA one. Unless, you will be out of job 6-9 months without some amazing luck!!

People who went to CA schools do have advantage, so you should not compete for it. You will lose that competition.

When you are a practicing pharmacist, you have some edge.

I am expected to finish all my rotations and requirements in March, but graduation is in May, so can I still apply without the diploma? Will this speed things up? or will they delay it even further? Also, does making California primary state to practice makes time difference in the process? If another state is put as primary and california as secondary, would that speed things up meaning taking NAPLEX in another state and having that score transferred and just take the cpje?

You cannot apply without diploma...check their application requirement. Transcript is one of their requirement with actual graduation date...

Hey guys! I'm in the same boat as nerxd53 and will be graduating from NY next month and moving back home to California for licensing. I was wondering if you guys could explain the out of state license verification form 17A-16 because when I asked my state board to fill it out they said they do not fill out forms like that and the application states that it must be filled out. Any advice would be appreciated in what it seems is going to be a very, very long process to licensure.

I talked to the california board and as long as the other state you are licensed in verifies it with a seal then its fine. Talk to the board if you have any questions.

Originally I was going to take my Naplex with CA as my primary state but after studying and waiting almost 30+ days without receiving my ATT I decided to submit my paper work to the Florida board of pharmay (the state where I graduated from) and score transfer my Naplex scores from FL to CA. This was absolutely the best decision because I was expereincing a lot of anxiety while waiting to hear back from the CA BOP and got to a point where I knew I was ready to take the Naplex.

How long will the transferred NAPLEX score remain valid for the purpose of the CPJE? Is it one year? Does it mean I'd have to retake the NAPLEX if I don't pass the CPJE in that one year?

And to count the one-year, do I count from the date I first took my NAPLEX exam? Or the date my NAPLEX score was released to me?