California Northstate College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im new to SDN but i also received an interview for California Northstate, which is on january 26....anyone has any advice and know what the area looks like around the campus?

Members don't see this ad.

it's a 20 min interview with a faculty and another 20 min with student(s)/staff. i was told the faculty interview was the only one that really mattered. the entire interview day lasted from 11:30-4pm. the interview was extremely stress-free. it was my first interview, and i went in that day without preparing because i knew i was most likely not going to attend. i didn't even know there was an essay portion (that's how unprepared i was since i had finals the following monday). instead, i took this as a practice opportunity. since i went in unprepared, my answers were very real, and i had more of a chance to be myself. i didn't answer the questions from memorization (won't be doing this for other interviews though). it was a very relaxing interview, and my faculty was extremely nice and had such a positive vibe. :) received acceptance 2 weeks later, but will not be attending since i won't be making the hefty deposit. :(

good luck to all! :) and no need to stress.

regardless of everything, i actually would attend if the school was accredited and the tuition was cheaper, and probably if it was in socal. more of a location and accreditation thing for me. i really love the TBL curriculum, which is what drew me to this school. i think being yourself is the best thing for northstate's interview cus the faculty and students are just extremely nice and approachable. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind telling me what the essay portion and some of the questions were?

i havent turned in my supplemental application and im thinking about turning it in or not? i know its late in the cycle to turn it in.. :confused:

I got my interview in Dec. and got accepted. But will be giving up my seat. I really like the TBL, but everything else is no-no.

Essay question was to test your critical thinking skill and writing. Topic was whether you agree with something to increase number of applicants. I don't remember exactly.

Can anybody who has already interviewed explain what exactly happens on interview day? In the invitation email it states states that we are supposed to check in at 10:30 and expect to stay until around 4:30. What is the order of what happens in between? What occurs besides the interviews? Does it really last that long?

it was from 11:30-4pm. first hour or hour and a half is the TBL assignment. then there's lunch. then the interview starts. you're split into groups. half of the interviewees have their interviews with faculty and students/staff (40 mins total, 20 mins each) and other half is Q&A with current students/staff/fin aid/break time. then you switch. and i think that pretty much concludes it, at least from what i remember.

I have a quick question for those who finished their supplemental. I was wondering does the school take check or we can ONLY pay with credit card?

I got my interview in Dec. and got accepted. But will be giving up my seat. I really like the TBL, but everything else is no-no.

Essay question was to test your critical thinking skill and writing. Topic was whether you agree with something to increase number of applicants. I don't remember exactly.

Hi xXRAYNEXx,

When you say "everything else is no=no", can you explain why? The reason why I am asking is because I am considering to go to this school this Fall. Thank you!

Hey everyone, I have an interview the 26th of this month. See you all there. It's my first one...and the nerves are getting to me

Is it too late to submit my application? My pharmcas is ready so I am thinking about adding this school if it isn't too late

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I have an interview the 26th of this month. See you all there. It's my first one...and the nerves are getting to me

dont be! the faculty at northstate are very nice. the interview is more like a casual conversation :) look up the interview feedback on sdn and look at all the questions that are usually asked. the faculty interview is more conversational where as all of the student questions were behavioral. I dont think the students really have a say in your acceptance...maybe if your behavioral answers were really off then they might have negative things to say. let me know if you have any questions :)

Is it too late to submit my application? My pharmcas is ready so I am thinking about adding this school if it isn't too late

for further info, you should check out the pharmcas directory on schools. I looked it up and their supplemental deadline is feb 1st. so you have a few more weeks to submit the supplemental! Luckily, the questions are really easy, so you should apply :)

for further info, you should check out the pharmcas directory on schools. I looked it up and their supplemental deadline is feb 1st. so you have a few more weeks to submit the supplemental! Luckily, the questions are really easy, so you should apply :)

Thank you so much :D

Hey for those whO got accepted and are planning on attending, any ideas for loans/payments? I've been waitlisted and will most likely attend if accepted but I dnt know how to pay the fees. I've been paying for school with financial aid up until this point.

So according to their site, they're in search for a new dean. Anyone know if this effects anything(curriculum..etc). I met Dean Hawkins and he was really nice, kinda disappointed to see him go..

Im new to SDN but i also received an interview for California Northstate, which is on january 26....anyone has any advice and know what the area looks like around the campus?

Hey hope to meet you there!

Wow thas a game changer for sure. Weren't the tbl methods Hawkins preferences? I wonder if they'll keep the curriculum the same or not. Wud really suk for current students if they decide to switch it up

I could confirm that the student interview is weighted the same as the faculty interview. The students do ask harder questions and more critical because we want people that actually fit in the team based learning environment. Good luck on the 26th.

darnit... still didnt turn in my supplemental app for ths school because I have a MAC and it won't load. still debating on whether I should even do it.. it seems like its a bit late and ppl are interviewing this week =[

And here I am in the red lion haha. Oh goodness. It's real time

does any one know when the next interview date is?

Hi xXRAYNEXx,

When you say "everything else is no=no", can you explain why? The reason why I am asking is because I am considering to go to this school this Fall. Thank you!

personally there's lots of changes going on with the school.. they are hiring a new dean, location is being changed to Elk Grove in 2013 and there is goign to be a med school opening up with it in 2013.. the school cost 40K a year, lots more than most out of state schools and isn't even accredited yet.. the teaching style is very experimental and while it helps some it hurts others who like lecture.. I also noticed on their site that the class of 2014 has already had 5 people drop out due to academic difficulties, I find this number pretty high and can only imagine the trend continuing... various reason why I don't think I'll be attending Northstate

personally there's lots of changes go
PHP:
ing on with the school.. they are hiring a new dean, location is being changed to Elk Grove in 2013 and there is goign to be a med school opening up with it in 2013.. the school cost 40K a year, lots more than most out of state schools and isn't even accredited yet.. the teaching style is very experimental and while it helps some it hurts others who like lecture.. I also noticed on their site that the class of 2014 has already had 5 people drop out due to academic difficulties, I find this number pretty high and can only imagine the trend continuing... various reason why I don't think I'll be attending Northstate

For me, its too expensive. Not even regionally accredited for federal loans. It's too new, so no good network of alumni and many resources for students. No school scholarships. No dual degrees. Schools a business building and stand alone program, not much of a campus.current deans leaving. Some current students are weird. and don't like usage of .org for their website. reminds me of the Hawaii school fiasco and gives the impression theyre not a commited educational institution by using .edu, its for profit. Etc.

Sorry, you asked for it. Don't want to be negative. Make sure you're informed when making your decision. But I would go there if i had no other choice, I wouldn't be happy though knowing other options. Just my preference though.

On positive note, it was one my best interviews. I had a great time. They really gave you good fooood, not just snacks like other schools. I may apply again for the food...nom nom

personally there's lots of changes going on with the school.. they are hiring a new dean, location is being changed to Elk Grove in 2013 and there is goign to be a med school opening up with it in 2013.. the school cost 40K a year, lots more than most out of state schools and isn't even accredited yet.. the teaching style is very experimental and while it helps some it hurts others who like lecture.. I also noticed on their site that the class of 2014 has already had 5 people drop out due to academic difficulties, I find this number pretty high and can only imagine the trend continuing... various reason why I don't think I'll be attending Northstate

1st class expected to graduate this year., and no dean...that an omen!

I dnt get it. The dean sets up the to follow his style of learning, and then he ditches out?

The dean is not retiring until the first class graduates and the school gets accredited. The school is only looking for a dean now so once the dean does retire there'll be someone to replace him immediately.

The dean is not retiring until the first class graduates and the school gets accredited. The school is only looking for a dean now so once the dean does retire there'll be someone to replace him immediately.

the dean is leaving this summer and the school won't know if it's fully accredited till spring 2013 at earliest

Wow the accredation process takes that long? Hopefully it pulls through

It really takes 1 year, after graduating their first class, for the school to get accredited? Are the graduating class able to work as RPh and/or apply for residencies during this time?

Is there any way we would know what the actual percentage is going to be?

It really takes 1 year, after graduating their first class, for the school to get accredited? Are the graduating class able to work as RPh and/or apply for residencies during this time?

from what I heard during the interview, graduating from a candidate school is pretty much the same as graduating from a fully accredited school. the main difference being you can't get federal loans at a candidate school

Is it too late to submit my secondary application now? would it be better for me to apply to this school next year?

Is it too late to submit my secondary application now? would it be better for me to apply to this school next year?

if you are a minority..go head since every school wants diversity.

I applied to CNCP before and I submitted two recommendation letters at the time. If I apply to this school again, do I still need to submit two new recommendation letters again or just one new recommendation letter?

Last edited:
I applied to CNCP before and I submitted two recommendation letters at the time. If I apply to this school again, do I still need to submit two new recommendation letters again or just one new recommendation letter?
I'm sure u would need the recommendation letters again

Just got an acceptance email:) Anyone else from January 26th get in?

congrats...i think they are pulling from the wait list as well........friend just got accepted too!!!!!

congrats...i think they are pulling from the wait list....friend just got accepted too.....interviewed in sept