California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for your recent bad news but I don't think it justifies your taking out your frustrations on me personally nor does it excuse your rudeness in putting words in my mouth. Good luck with your other applications. But fyi I don't think it's a smart idea for you to bitterly dismiss the importance of the MCAT exams or associate it with "elitist" thinking, especially in interviews if/when you are asked about your score. There's a reason that top+mid tier ranked allopathic schools place a lot of importance on MCAT scores+GPA and it's because those 2 items, particularly MCAT scores, are predictors of med school students successfully completing med school within a 4 year window and passing the USMLE board exams first try, and those latter board exam scores in turn relate to placement in competitive and very competitive residencies. It costs a heck of a lot of $ to train med school students - that's why med schools continue to place a good deal of emphasis on predictors (except for certain cases) - to avoid risk . The importance of board exam scores are not going to go away even after being accepted to medical school, so instead of flaming me, face reality and do your best on board exams in the future. Again, good luck this cycle.

I have rejections from a few MD schools and of course its going to be annoying. But then again that was just a flame attempt from you which is a really low blow to be honest.

You dont need a 35+ on your MCAT to do well in medical school Hyde. Also if they ask me about my MCAT score in an interview, I'll know what to say.

You are making it seem like I am saying that the MCAT and GPA are not important. Obviously I dont think that at all. What I am saying is that they should not be the only indicators of admission to medical school. You have yet to deny that. There are multiple posts of yours where you insinuate or literally say that MCAT/GPA should be the only real things considered on an application.

You say I'm putting words in your mouth, but you still havent denied anything.

I REALLY dont need a lecture from you telling me the importance of MCAT and GPA. I'm well aware of what is important and why it is. I dont know if you realize it or not, but you have an extremely undesirable elitist attitude and if you think thats "flaming" then so be it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Listen up - because this is the last time I respond to you before I put you on "ignore" - didn't realize it was an option until Goro mentioned it - anyway what you wrongly label a "low blow flame attempt" is my attempt to UNDERSTAND why you have this odd fixation with me - you have baited me at least once if not twice before - so that's why I looked at your posts to try and figure out what was going on with you - and I couldn't help but notice several of your posts had to do with your MCAT score, that you are ORM, and the last day or two with pre-screened rejections. So that's why I mentioned you receiving bad news - I thought you were particularly anger this time, beyond your previous baiting post (s). I tried to explain that there are valid reasons why MCAT scores have been used forever and ever as a tried and true predictor of success in med school in a 4 year window, acing USMLE boards the first try, placement and success in competitive+ residencies. It's not an "elitist" abstract belief. It's not my isolated belief. It's fact. And the sooner you deal with that fact instead of looking bizarre reasons to "hate" an ORM like me with great stats, the less bitterness you'll feel. You may even find success this cycle. Btw there's no hard evidence that EC's have a predictive value. There's no hard evidence that holistic consideration of applicants has a predictive value. Because there's so many academically competitive applicants for med school these days, the EC stuff might be useful to adcoms if they had to justify a choice between 2 candidates with the same MCAT and sGPA/GPA statistics. Interviews are useful so adcoms can make sure that their narrowed down list of prospective candidates don't have 3 heads or something strange, that the glowing LOR's are believable. Once again I wish you success this cycle but I don't intend on communicating with you or being victimized by your resentment again.

Listen up - because this is the last time I respond to you before I put you on "ignore" - didn't realize it was an option until Goro mentioned it - anyway what you wrongly label a "low blow flame attempt" is my attempt to UNDERSTAND why you have this odd fixation with me - you have baited me at least once if not twice before - so that's why I looked at your posts to try and figure out what was going on with you - and I couldn't help but notice several of your posts had to do with your MCAT score, that you are ORM, and the last day or two with pre-screened rejections. So that's why I mentioned you receiving bad news - I thought you were particularly anger this time, beyond your previous baiting post (s). I tried to explain that there are valid reasons why MCAT scores have been used forever and ever as a tried and true predictor of success in med school in a 4 year window, acing USMLE boards the first try, placement and success in competitive+ residencies. It's not an "elitist" abstract belief. It's not my isolated belief. It's fact. And the sooner you deal with that fact instead of looking bizarre reasons to "hate" an ORM like me with great stats, the less bitterness you'll feel. You may even find success this cycle. Btw there's no hard evidence that EC's have a predictive value. There's no hard evidence that holistic consideration of applicants has a predictive value. Because there's so many academically competitive applicants for med school these days, the EC stuff might be useful to adcoms if they had to justify a choice between 2 candidates with the same MCAT and sGPA/GPA statistics. Interviews are useful so adcoms can make sure that their narrowed down list of prospective candidates don't have 3 heads or something strange, that the glowing LOR's are believable. Once again I wish you success this cycle but I don't intend on communicating with you or being victimized by your resentment again.

You are so full of yourself its insane. You are one of the most delusional SDNers I've come across up till this point. I have no idea how you made it past the interview, but you did I guess. You know what, dont worry about putting me ignore. I've already ignored you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no hard evidence that holistic consideration of applicants has a predictive value.

I'd say MMI performance falls in the "holistic" category.

mcat-gpa-interview-vs-board-scores-etc-png.194388

Reactions: 1 user
Am I naive to have entered this thread expecting the discussion to still be about CNSU?

Reactions: 6 users
Am I naive to have entered this thread expecting the discussion to still be about CNSU?

Yep. But honestly if you want to know about CNU you would do well to actually read the first 12-13 pages, especially Goro and gyngyn comments.

Yep. But honestly if you want to know about CNU you would do well to actually read the first 12-13 pages, especially Goro and gyngyn comments.
I think I got a pretty good handle on the operation going on over at Northstate. Doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence

Why do people get so worked up on the internet?

I usually don't but this user (who apparently many people have on ignore) requires some retorts.

MMIs sound interesting, the correlation surprises me tho. Holistic is more "the whole picture" even tho holistic can often end up meaning only gpa and mcat or "mess up one area and you're toast".

I was just pointing out that Hyde's premise of good GPA/MCAT = good doctor isn't necessarily true. Though GPA/MCAT are necessary, they are not sufficient.

Reactions: 2 users
I think I got a pretty good handle on the operation going on over at Northstate. Doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence

There are red flags, but honestly unless you work for CNSU, none of us know how the operations are going on over there.

I usually don't but this user (who apparently many people have on ignore) requires some retorts.

That says something about his opinions, eh? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
But doesn't everyone always whine about how terrible and subjective 3rd and 4th year grading is? All the MMI shows is that the closest correlate is another metric also often called terrible and subjective. What I'd really read out of that is "3rd and 4th year grading is heavily based on your charisma in unfamiliar circumstances"

At my school, students have defined rotation sites away from our campus. Almost all are in our state, a few are out of state. This is true for most COMs, as the vast majority of them don't have teaching hospitals.

MUCOM will make use of Riley and the Catholic hospitals in IN. For residency, we don't have a direct residency program....Students will be precepted on rotations by residents, and/or attendings. The attendings all become Adjunct Professors...and get some training as to what we want and need our students to do by end of OMSIII and IV. The do a good job; residency directors find out grads as well trained as MD grads or any other DO, according to the polls we give them. NOTE: for some rotation sites, and this is true for many COMs, the preceptors are limited to in-office, and so the students essentially just shadow.

So at Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM) -- since there's no affiliated hospital -- MUCOM medical students will participate in defined rotation sites away from campus, at Riley Hospital for Children (Indiana University-affiliated teaching hospital) or at Catholic hospitals in Indiana (non university-affiliated teaching hospitals). Since Riley has residents (from Indiana University-affiliated programs), MUCOM medical students will learn from said residents. Since the Catholic hospitals have no residents, MUCOM medical students will learn from attending physicians (who become MUCOM adjunct professors).

Is this correct?

///breakbreakbreak///

Do you mind comparing and contrasting?

University of California Davis School of Medicine (UC Davis SOM)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Davis_School_of_Medicine#Hospitals

Third year medical students at UC Davis SOM will do clinical rotations at UC Davis-affiliated hospitals, to include:
- UC Davis Medical Center
- UC Davis Children's Hospital
- UC Davis Cancer Center
- Shriners Hospitals for Children-Northern California
- Sacramento VA Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Centers in Sacramento, Roseville, and South Sacramento

In sum, UC Davis medical students will be supervised by resident physicians training in UC Davis-affiliated programs, based at UC Davis-affiliated university/teaching hospitals. (This just...makes sense to me.)

California Northstate University College of Medicine (CNUCOM)

http://medicine.cnsu.edu/education/clinical-clerkshipsb

Two years from now, third year medical students at CNUCOM will do clinical rotations at defined rotation sites away from campus:
- Kaiser Permanente of Northern California (over 900 beds and 1,400 physicians)
- Kaiser North Valley
- Kaiser South Sacramento
- Kaiser Roseville​
- Dignity Health System (over 1,000 beds and 2,100 physicians)
- Mercy General
- Mercy San Juan
- Methodist
- Woodland Memorial​

At the Kaiser hospitals, CNUCOM medical students may be supervised by resident physicians training in UC Davis-affiliated programs, but they may also be supervised by attending physicians. At the Dignity hospitals, CNUCOM medical students will definitely not be supervised by any resident physicians, since UC Davis has no affiliated residency programs based at Dignity hospitals, and because CNUCOM has no affiliated residency programs at all. CNUCOM medical students will instead be supervised by attending physicians, who may or may not (eventually) become adjunct professors at CNUCOM. (This just...seems ad-hoc?)

Did I get this correct? If so, is the latter system inherently/systematically/fundamentally an inferior teaching process? (Perhaps because attending physicians who didn't necessarily plan to go into academic medicine are now being thrust into the role? Perhaps because there are no residents serving as buffers/intermediaries between medical students and attending physicians? Perhaps because it's...weird? [for lack of a better word] for residents from one program to teach students from another school/university/program?)

Goro (or anyone else with actual experience), would you mind providing your insight/perspective?

Clearly, I'm not asking you to compare two different MD programs, specifically, but two different models of clinical education, generally.

Setting aside the inherent qualifications of the instructors (which has been discussed ad nauseum), will the clinical education of CNUCOM students be hindered by the fact that CNUCOM has no affiliated residency programs nor university-affiliated hospitals? (Just how does it work when a medical school has no university hospital?) Or is the model of "medical students do clinical rotations at non university-affiliated teaching hospitals, learning sometimes from residents of other programs and sometimes directly from attending physicians" more than adequate and/or not inherently a bad thing? (As you say, this is the norm for most osteopathic medical schools, some of which do very well indeed.)

I guess the "traditional/conventional" model of medical students learning from university-affiliated residents at university-affiliated hospitals (all from the same medical school/program) is just easier to conceptually grasp for someone outside of medicine.

Trying to educate myself.

Last edited:
What was the secondary fee here?

If the COMs can do it, so can CNU. It just makes it harder, compared to schools that do have such programs. The first few classes at CMU will definitely have to be self-starters.

Setting aside the inherent qualifications of the instructors (which has been discussed ad nauseum), will the clinical education of CNUCOM students be hindered by the fact that CNUCOM has no affiliated residency programs nor university-affiliated hospitals? (Just how does it work when a medical school has no university hospital?) Or is the model of "medical students do clinical rotations at non university-affiliated teaching hospitals, learning sometimes from residents of other programs and sometimes directly from attending physicians" more than adequate and/or not inherently a bad thing? (As you say, this is the norm for most osteopathic medical schools, some of which do very well indeed.)

I guess the "traditional/conventional" model of medical students learning from university-affiliated residents at university-affiliated hospitals (all from the same medical school/program) is just easier to conceptually grasp for someone outside of medicine.

Trying to educate myself.

BTW, just saw these two interesting posts in the CNU-specific thread.

Dear desperate students,
Beware of the suspicious (once deserted)AAA building converted medical college happening right in the Capital of California.
This establishment is a sham with no planning involved and is a replica of some already money grabbing schools in Caribbean.
I am saddened to see such happenings in my own town (practicing for last 25 years) and wondering how LCME is approving or will monitor it.
All the students who interviewed there and I got a chance to speak with, met an uninterested (ex-dean), novice interview panel and many hours of wasted time.
This is not how medicine should change into commercial business.

Created this account to add my commentary to advise anybody interested in Northstate for medical school...
I am a community physician associated with a large medical group in the area. We were asked one year ago to provide preceptorships for Northstate medical students. However, after meeting with Northstate administration, our medical group decided not to participate due to poor organization on Northstate's part.
Collaboration could happen in the future, but my concern is that the very first year medical students may not receive a quality education.

Reactions: 1 users
^Pretty dubious testimonies, don't you think? What physician has the time/will to skim the Internet, stumble on SDN, make a fresh account, and criticize a new program?

Some people who don't like competition, most likely.

^Pretty dubious testimonies, don't you think? What physician has the time/will to skim the Internet, stumble on SDN, make a fresh account, and criticize a new program?

Some people who don't like competition, most likely.

Its not like their criticisms are completely invalid. I've talked to quite a few dignity and kaiser docs in norcal (where cnucom is supposed to do its rotations) and they have reservations about cnucom's quality

Its not like their criticisms are completely invalid. I've talked to quite a few dignity and kaiser docs in norcal (where cnucom is supposed to do its rotations) and they have reservations about cnucom's quality

I am doing denying the validity of the claims, simply the motives of the critics.

If a medical professional who knows something about medical education has a bad experience, and then tells you about, you question his/her motivations? And claim that said motivation is due to "competition"?

I am doing denying the validity of the claims, simply the motives of the critics.

If a medical professional who knows something about medical education has a bad experience, and then tells you about, you question his/her motivations? And claim that said motivation is due to "competition"?

Maybe they'd have more validity if they had a better post history. The timing of the posts are ridiculous; so called "physicians" who suddenly start posting now after acceptances and waitlists were given. Why didn't he post directly after his "interviews"? Why didn't the other guy post months ago since apparently he knew of this school for a while? To many of us, the timing makes it sound like they are waitlisted applicants hoping for a dropped acceptance.

This site does nothing to validate your claims of who you are, unlike other sites. I'm sure people were skeptical of you being an adcom until you contributed more.
I've actually talked to Kaiser physicians near Sacramento, and their only worries is that it's a new school. Nothing about "organization".

I think his comment is directed at the two posts you linked to earlier. I too doubt that they are actually from 'local physicians'. Both are brand new accounts made within hours of each other and I believe as do others that it is mostl ikely other premeds either being trolls or trying to decrease competition.

I think his comment is directed at the two posts you linked to earlier. I too doubt that they are actually from 'local physicians'. Both are brand new accounts made within hours of each other and I believe as do others that it is mostl ikely other premeds either being trolls or trying to decrease competition.

Yeah, really, it's the timing and the content of their posts. They didn't say anything that a pre-med couldn't have said. Again, it's not just this situation. Goro, if you just said you were an adcom, I wouldn't have believed you. But you backed up your claims with the substance in the history of your posts.

Are you aware that to sign up one has to prove one's professional identity? When I signed up, I had to give SDN my own website add on my school's webpage

Are you aware that to sign up one has to prove one's professional identity? When I signed up, I had to give SDN my own website add on my school's webpage

My understanding that was only for getting "approved" which gives you the nifty icons such as "faculty" and such. I thought anyone can make an account and just change their status to attending. Is my understanding incorrect?

Yeah, like Abraxas, that's just for the "Faculty" icon, no?
See my "Status" now...

If the COMs can do it, so can CNU. It just makes it harder, compared to schools that do have such programs. The first few classes at CMU will definitely have to be self-starters.

Goro, that's reassuring.

While the backgrounds of the instructors have been the subject of vigorous debate and criticism here, it's good to know that the delivery model/process of clinical education at CNUCOM (no affiliated residency programs nor a university hospital) is not an inherent "problem/issue" (per se) and in fact aligns with that of many osteopathic medical schools.

Last edited:
I wonder why no one is talking about Burrell. Is someone biased here? (Goro) :rolleyes:

what about it specifically?

It's a terrible for-profit school.

The case could certainly be made that it's worse than CNU. But I am not really into pooping on either school unless we are talking LUCOM.

Unlike LUCOM and CNU, BCOM has, at the moment, not generated complaints that they don't know what they're doing. I also forget they they were for-profit. I don't recommend RVU and so I'll have to add them to my naughty list.

I wonder why no one is talking about Burrell. Is someone biased here? (Goro) :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
I don't recommend RVU and so I'll have to add them to my naughty list.

Dr. Goro,

I know you don't recommend Rocky Vista University (RVU), but for a prospective osteopathic physician, don't the ends justify the means, in some ways? Here is just one example of the criticism leveraged against RVU back in Spring 2011:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whats-wrong-with-rvu.799610/

And here is RVU's latest match list from Spring 2015:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/match-lists-2015.1126578/

ACGME Match

ANESTHESIOLOGY
Prelim Year (SURG) St. Joseph Hospital SCL, CO, PGY2 U of CO SOM
U of CO SOM
U of Vermont MC
LSUHSC, Shreveport, LA
Medical College of WI
Prelim (medicine), St Joseph Hospital SCL Health, CO. PGY 2 U of CO SOM
Prelim (surgery) at St Joseph Hospital SCL Health, CO PGY2 at U of WI Hospitals and clinics

DIAGNOSTIC RADIOLOGY
U of MN Medical School
U of IL, St. Francis MC
TY PGY 1 U of SD, SSOM, PGY2 RAD, Yale, New Haven Hospital, CT
U of NM SOM
Prelim Year (SURG) Maricopa MC, Phoenix, AZ. Diagnostic RAD, U of NE, Omaha, NE
Prelim (medicine) and PGY2 at U of Kansas SOM, Wichita
Prelim (medicine) at U of NM SOM, PGY2 U of Texas Med Branch, Galveston
Prelim (Medicine) and PGY2, Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan, OR

EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Kaweah Delta Health Care District, CA
Baystate MC, MA
UCLA MC, CA
U of CT, SOM
U of Texas Southwestern MS, Dallas
U of Rochester/Strong Memorial, NY
U of Utah, affiliated hospitals

FAMILY MEDICINE
North CO MC, Wray
St. Anothony North Hospital, CO
Idaho State University
St. Anothony North Hospital, CO
Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital
St. Anothony North Hospital, CO (84th Street)
Central Maine MC
Mercy Medical Center, Des Moines, Iowa
University of Hawaii
Valley Medical Center, WA
U of WY, Cheyenne
Vidant MC/East Carolina University, NC
U of WY, Casper
St Anthony North Hospital, CO
North CO MC

GENERAL SURGERY
Dartmouth-Hitchcock MC, Lebanon, NH

INTERNAL MEDICINE
Mercy Medical Center, Des Moines, Iowa
Akron General Medical Center, NEOMED, OH
St. Joseph Hospital SCL Health, CO
University of Hawaii
U of Cincinnati MC, OH
U of AZ affiliated hospitals
St Joseph Hospital SCL Health, CO
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH
Oregon Health & Science University
University of SD, SSOM
U of Buffalo SOM, NY

NEUROLOGY
U of Illinois COM, Chicago
Sparrow Hospital, MI
U of Washington, affiliated hospitals

OB/GYN
Kaiser Permanente, Los Angeles, CA
Baylor University MC, Dallas TX
St. Joseph Mercy, Ann Arbor, MI

PATHOLOGY
George Washington University, DC
U of IA Hospitals and Clinics
U of CO SOM

PEDIATRICS
U of Texas at Austin, Dell Medical School
U of Southern CA
Advocate Christ MC, IL
Case Western/University Hospitals Case MC, OH
INOVA Fairfax Hospital, VA
Western Michigan University, Stryker, SOM
Children's Hospital, NEOMED, OH
U of Louisville SOM, KY
Western Michigan University, Stryker, SOM
U of Louisville SOM, KY
Central Iowa Health System, Blank Children's Hospital, DM, IA
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH
Wright State University Boonshoft SOM, OH
UC San Francisco, Fresno, CA

PSYCHIATRY
Hennepin Co MC, MN
Texas A&M, Scott & White
U of ND SOM
Maine Medical Center
Texas A&M, Scott & White

TRANSITIONAL YEAR
Sky Ridge MC, Lone Tree, CO

AOA Match

ANESTHESIOLOGY
Grandview Hospital and Medical Center, Dayton, OH

DIAGNOSTIC RADIOLOGY

EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI
UH Regional Hospitals, Richmond Heights, OH
McLaren Oakland, Pontiac, MI
Arrowhead Regional MC, Colton, CA
Norman Regional Health System, Norman, OK
Lakeland Regional MC, St. Joseph, MI
Comanche County Memorial Hospital, Lawton, OK

FM/EM
St. Barnabus Hospital, Bronx, NY

FAMILY MEDICINE
College Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
U of WI, Dept. of FM, Madison, WI
Via Christi Regional MC, Wichita, KS
St. Mary Corwin Hospital, Pueblo, CO
Skagit Regional Health, Mount Vernon, WA
Via Christi Regional MC, Wichita, KS
(ECHN)Manchester Memorial Hospital, Manchester, CT
Central Washington FM Residency, Yakima, WA
Central Washington FM Residency, Yakima, WA

GENERAL SURGERY
Metro Health Hospital, Wyoming, MI
Des Peres Hospital, St. Louis, MO
Des Peres Hospital, St. Louis, MO
Allegiance Health, Jackson, MI

INTERNAL MEDICINE
Skagit Regional Health Center, Moutn Vernon, WA
Parkview Medical Center, Pueblo, CO
Good Samaritan Regional MC, Corvallis, OR
Plaza Medical Center, Fort Worth, TX

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
Plainview Hospital, Plainview, NY
McLaren Greater Lansing, Lansing, MI

OB/GYN
Wayne County Health Authority, Detroit

PEDIATRICS
Geisinger Health System, Danville, PA

PM&R
Larkin Community Hospital, South Miami, FL

PSYCHIATRY
Larkin Community Hospital, South Miami, FL

TRADITIONAL ROTATING INTERNSHIP
PHH/Hemet Valley MC, Hemet, California
St Anthony Hospital, Oklahoma City, OK
Garden City Hospital, Garden City, MI
Inspira Health Network, Vineland, NJ

Military Match

ARMY

Family Medicine Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood, TX
Family Medicine Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Fort Belvoir, VA
Emergency Medicine Madigan Army MC, Tacoma, WA
Diagnostic Radiology Madigan Army MC, Tacoma, WA
Psychiatry Tripler Army MC, Hawaii
Family Medicine Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, GA
Transitional Year Walter Reed (NCCWR), Bethesda, MD
Psychiatry Tripler Army MC, Hawaii
Emergency Medicine Darnall Medical Center, Ft. Hood, TX
Family Medicine Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, Columbus, GA
Psychiatry Walter Reed (NCCWR), Bethesda, MD

NAVY

Transitional Year Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA
Anesthesia Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA
Internal Medicine Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA
General Surgery Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA

AIR FORCE

General Surgery David Grant Medical Center, Travis AFB, CA
Ophthalmology San Antonio Military MC (SAUSHEC) Fort Sam Houston, TX
Ophthalmology San Antonio Military MC (SAUSHEC) Fort Sam Houston, TX
Pediatrics Walter Reed (NCCWR), Bethesda, MD
General Surgery Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS
Neurology San Antonio Military MC (SAUSHEC) Fort Sam Houston, TX

That's a whole lot of prospective students who chose to apply to (Winter 2010/Spring 2011) and matriculate at (Fall 2011) RVU despite the red flags and warnings of doom/gloom here at Student Doctor Network (SDN) -- who ultimately ended up matching into some pretty decent specialties (Spring 2015) and graduating (Summer 2015) as osteopathic physicians.

Dr. Goro, may I ask what sustains your continued criticism of RVU? And if prospective students at CNUCOM similarly end up "OK" four years from now, will you persist with similar criticisms?

Respectfully,
Moose

I fully understand markets, but I still have an innate distaste about the concept of a for-profit school.

This is especially aggravated by the incompetence of how CNU is starting up. Just in case you haven't noticed, there are red flags all over this in the 18 pages of this thread.

IF CNU had waited one more year, and gotten their act together in setup, then I'd be limited to bashing LUCOM. I don't criticize RVU (and now BCOM); I just ignore.
I'll tell you what: when the exceptionally wise @gyngyn gives CNU the thumbs up, then so will I.

Dr. Goro,

I know you don't recommend Rocky Vista University (RVU), but for a prospective osteopathic physician, don't the ends justify the means, in some ways? Here is just one example of the criticism leveraged against RVU back in Spring 2011:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whats-wrong-with-rvu.799610/

And here is RVU's latest match list from Spring 2015:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/match-lists-2015.1126578/

That's a whole lot of prospective students who chose to apply to (Winter 2010/Spring 2011) and matriculate at (Fall 2011) RVU despite the red flags and warnings of doom/gloom here at Student Doctor Network (SDN) -- who ultimately ended up matching into some pretty decent specialties (Spring 2015) and graduating (Summer 2015) as osteopathic physicians.

Dr. Goro, may I ask what sustains your continued criticism of RVU? And if prospective students at CNUCOM similarly end up "OK" four years from now, will you persist with similar criticisms?

Respectfully,
Moose

So is it confirmed that they have two more interviews? That's so many people they are looking at for 60 seats especially with orientation coming up ridiculously soon. How are people going to get accepted next week and after and have time to put together a living and tuition plan?

Also has anyone that was accepted deny admission? Just wondering if these guys are ever going to look at the waitlist.

So is it confirmed that they have two more interviews? That's so many people they are looking at for 60 seats especially with orientation coming up ridiculously soon. How are people going to get accepted next week and after and have time to put together a living and tuition plan?

Also has anyone that was accepted deny admission? Just wondering if these guys are ever going to look at the waitlist.

They said they had two more interviews after July 27. One might have happened last friday, one might be going on now. They usually do their interviews on mondays, tuesdays or fridays so Im not sure the exact dates. That is 216 interviews for 60 seats.

also I doubt anyone will turn down an acceptance, this is a "unique" applicant pool mind you (myself included among them). That said I think the main qualms for most students with be the private loans thing and how to finance the whole thing.

I think allantois was being sarcastic. Humor doesn't travel well over the internet.

When does CNU start orientation?

aEqmaGw.jpg

Anyone in this position would invest a lot of money into hiring a well-qualified figurehead (Dean Silvia) to represent them. It's basic competency that even CNSU wouldn't skip in their desire for quick $$$$ returns.

Also CNSU isn't going to take much of anyone from CA DOs or at least the informed applicants, seeing as Touro's match list alone beats the pants off UC Davis medical school's match list, which has been around way longer than CNSU and isn't cutting corners Like it either. A new school like CNSU, especially given what we know about this place, wouldn't hold a candle to CA DOs.

CNSU also seems to be more about recruiting higher composite mcats (most ppl invited are 33-35 mcat range) so they can gain credibility about recruiting strong applicants and blend in with UC averages, than holistic review. They also have a large pool of desperate applicants to choose from so they can pick people like that.
It's really a lousy chameleon to the Ucs though bc once you brush past the facade there's not mention to like.

This is an issue. When you guys talk about match lists, you know that there is a huuuuuge difference between a categorical and preliminary spot...right? And I have never seen a match list that differentiates the two. You will find out in MS4 that it is very easy to secure a general surgery preliminary spot at a place like ucsf which takes like 12 people. In fact, those spots go unfilled often. So trust me, preliminary spots aside, UC Davis match list does not come close to Tuoros. That would be impossible.

This is an issue. When you guys talk about match lists, you know that there is a huuuuuge difference between a categorical and preliminary spot...right? And I have never seen a match list that differentiates the two. You will find out in MS4 that it is very easy to secure a general surgery preliminary spot at a place like ucsf which takes like 12 people. In fact, those spots go unfilled often. So trust me, preliminary spots aside, UC Davis match list does not come close to Tuoros. That would be impossible.

care to enlighten us on the difference between the two?

care to enlighten us on the difference between the two?

Fairly comprehensive explanation in the link below.

https://residency.wustl.edu/Residencies/Pages/CategoricalvsPreliminary.aspx

Touro matches are typically at less desirable institutions as well making job opportunities/fellowships a bit more difficult. They are also mostly AOA which will be complicated by the upcoming AOA/ACGME "merger." Ultimately, it's hard/impossible to tell how CNUCOM will match. It will be an uphill battle, but work hard and focus on making connections and this class will do fine. The students are going to create the opportunities not the university.