California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK Sticks, the fact that you're still talking shows that you completely missed the point. You got some great advice just now and in that first thread, but only heard what you wanted.
Volunteering condescending opinions as a 1st term Freshman on the most confrontational thread I've ever read on SDN = Gunner.

Getting to the finish line the fastest or at a higher ranked school does not make you a better doctor; There will be non-trads and lower-tier MD/DOs that could do laps around you. Being an actual, whole person when you finally get an interview (see page 3), finish med school, etc. on the other hand, will go a long way. This will fall on deaf ears, but there's more to life than school. You will (please FSM, I hope) be a different person in 3-4 years. Being several years older now, I realize now that getting waitlisted and taking the long way around was probably one of the best things that could have happened to me. Now, by all means, aim for the stars, or do an MD/PhD if you want to do academic medicine. Taking time out of your busy day to tell people how great you are/will be is going to get you nowhere real fast.

Be gracious, be helpful; When you can't do that, be quiet.

The short: Through hs-college studies I'm doing, I'll have a bachelors at 18 or 19 and therefore can go to med school at said age
The details
So I will get my associates degree basically a month after I'm done High School which I will convert to a 4 year through the transfer program, and finish college in one or two more years. The way I have it set is one year extra after hs
Question is, will medical schools consider students that young?(age 18 or 19)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who still has questions, my county has a program where students can go to college their junior and senior year, or just senior year and knockout a lot of the required classes.
Since I plan to attend 4 semesters(2 summer, 2 fall, 2 spring) throughout senior year I'll have the credits for an associates degree, and all of it can transfer to any 4 year(already know which one) where I'll only need a year if all goes according to my plan..
So I'd be 18 by the time I have my bachelors and am ready to enter med school.

I'm about to start college this summer, fyi.. And I can't find anywhere info on if I could actually get into med school.(HS class of 2016 fyi)
I'll be a fulltime college student my senior year, (4 classes, 12 credir hours per semester) then transfer where I will only need like a year more

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Chair of family medicine went to an Egyptian medical school but he did his residency at UC-Davis, in practice for 31 years
http://health.usnews.com/doctors/amir-sweha-553937
Dr.Murphy, chair of internal med did his medical education in Ireland
I believe this the Dr.Iqbal, vice chair.. Did her residency at UCSF
https://mydoctor.kaiserpermanente.o...l&ctab=About+Me&cstab=Professional&to=1&sto=0
THis is the chair of neurology
https://mydoctor.kaiserpermanente.o...l&ctab=About+Me&cstab=Professional&to=1&sto=0
Med school St.Louis University School of Medicine, residency done at UC-Davis
Vice chair is a D.O, residency done at UC-Davis as well
If I found the right Dr.hans obgyn chair
he did his residency at stanford
http://www.sacmfm.com/our_doctors.php
"Dr. Haesslein graduated from the Medical College of Virginia in 1970. He completed his residency training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Stanford University in 1974 and his fellowship training in Maternal-Fetal Medicine at the University of California, Davis in 1978. He received a Masters in Public Health from the University of California, Berkeley in 1994."

Wow!! THe faculty is very educated

whoa whoa whoa..
I have NO bias against the dr for being trained in bulgaria.. what gives you that impression?
My primary care doc is a foreign trained doctor too.. She is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of being a patient of.. well one of the best

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright; So I take it back.. I made a bad error in judgment. The faculty seems extremely qualified so far from what I looked up. Maybe the medical school will turn out great?? Who knows

If this is the current Dr.Akins chair of medical education at this new college well here is her resume
http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/dean/documents/Dr_Akins_Profile.pdf
She got educated in Bulgaria.. o-o
Let me find the resume of everyone else..

http://medicine.cnsu.edu/faculty/faculty-contact-info/faculty-directory/ralitsa-akins-md

What's wrong with Bulgaria? Her training was apparently good enough for SUNY Upstate and Texas Tech.

Let me know when you have an MD from anywhere. Oh, and a PhD from an American institution. And have served as an Associate Dean for two MD-granting American medical schools.

You're a college freshman, putting down an MD/PhD who has been faculty at two American medical schools. You are making yourself look very, very bad right now.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know what sort of xenophobic middle of nowhere you live in, but you will be better served staying there if you have a problem with foreign-trained professors and physicians.

When an annoying pre-med does it, its xenophobia.
When a resident selection committees do it, its commitment to our nation.

Alright; So I take it back.. I made a bad error in judgment. The faculty seems extremely qualified so far from what I looked up. Maybe the medical school will turn out great?? Who knows

Well, like a lot of schools recently, they have a mission towards primary care so that may not interest you.

I'm just saying, not specific-school related, it'll do you wonders to broaden your horizon. As a recent high-school graduate, you shouldn't be limiting yourself to just surgery and just allopathic schools.

http://medicine.cnsu.edu/faculty/faculty-contact-info/faculty-directory/ralitsa-akins-md

What's wrong with Bulgaria? Her training was apparently good enough for SUNY Upstate and Texas Tech.

Let me know when you have an MD from anywhere. Oh, and a PhD from an American institution. And have served as an Associate Dean for two MD-granting American medical schools.

You're a college freshman, putting down an MD/PhD who has been faculty at two American medical schools. You are making yourself look very, very bad right now.
You misread me..
I just clarified that I had nothing against that..
Why in the world would I???? She is an acclaimed researcher. Look her up

You misread me..
I just clarified that I had nothing against that..
Why in the world would I???? She is an acclaimed researcher. Look her up

I didn't misread, you posted a gracious apology while I was also posting. Just don't try to pretend you weren't putting her down for getting her MD in Bulgaria.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know what residency programs you are familiar with, but some of the best programs out there take foreign-trained grads. I won't even talk how the majority of PhD candidates in the sciences at premier US institutions are foreign-born. Cancel the H-1B visa, and your entire Silicon Valley will colapse.

Last edited:
I didn't misread, you posted a gracious apology while I was also posting. Just don't try to pretend you weren't putting her down for getting her MD in Bulgaria.
I wasn't; That'd be hypocritical of me.. My primary doc got her medical degree from a country far poorer than Bulgaria, and she is a great doc..
To practice here you need to take the USMLE anyways.. If they pass, it pass the boards.. they met u.s standards
So it would be improper for me as a medical hopeful to judge a practicing physician who is also an acclaimed researcher.

The only doctor I have judged, and will judge as a pre-med is Dr.Oz.. Nobody else.. His show is stupid

They have a great faculty.. Have to give it to em'.. Even though it is a for-profit school, the faculty is at the top considering where they went for their training, and everything.

They have a great faculty.. Have to give it to em'.. Even though it is a for-profit school, the faculty is at the top considering where they went for their training, and everything.
Not everyone that comes out of great institutions are great

Let's stop picking on a high school kid people, maybe he finally got the point

Reactions: 2 users
That the taxpayers of the country are paying for the position might have something to do with it.

That and the annoyance of visa issues.

EDIT: As to the rest of the last two pages of this thread, I've learned that from having a 12 year and a 9 year old that arguing with children doesn't get you anywhere

Also it wasn't that I was too smart for HS.. The problem was there was nothing useful being taught in HS.. They started bringing in all this common core garbage, and school standards just went downhill.
Middle School was even worse.. You never even got homework.. Boy did I have to learn quickly how to develop a work ethic, and learn I did.

I already went through that phase.. I was a CS oriented in HS, but I finally made my mind up 2 months from graduation. Ultimately it was the fact that I really enjoyed what the doctors I shadowed did, and wanted to do that.
And my plans aren't "big".. It's just that I want to go to an Allopathic school with decent research opportunity.. (that would include many state medical schools which I would be MORE than glad to get into.. Some schools are primary care focused and I wouldn't want to go there. ) THat btw is why I'm being specific..
If you look at the U.S news rankings for med schools which by the way I don't care about, but anyways they have two.. One for primary care, one for research..
So it's an important distinction to make beforehand.. Do you want to primary care, or something more academic?? At least that is how I see it.
I don't want to go D.O though because I don't really agree with their curriculum focus, which I looked up. (I'm not saying D.O doctors aren't qualified.. They are more than qualified. I''ll probably be shadowing some d.o doctors to learn more about it and hear from em')

Well, yeah..
My standards are a bit unrealistic though, yes I agree. But that's a good thing.. The higher I set the bar, the better. I'll save you the boredom and not talk about that whole lego nonsense I came up with.

When I was in Jr High, I wanted to be a doctor. When I got to HS, I wanted to go into Banking/Business. When I got to College, I became a music major. Halfway through college, I thought I wanted to try to get into B-school (or at least set myself up for it) until I took intro econ and hated it. When I was about to graduate college, I realized I may have possibly made a mistake in majoring in music. After I worked as a violinist for 2 years, I knew I made a mistake. And now I ended up applying to med school. And although now I THINK I might want to go into EM or primary care and that I THINK I hate surgery, I'm fully cognizant of the possibility that I will come out of med school feeling the exact opposite. THIS is the humility everyone else is telling you to develop.

Seriously, the people in these threads are right. At 18, you have no idea what the freak you want in your life. Maybe some do, but be open to the fact that it MOST LIKELY will change. The majority of college students change their major and change their interests.

Reactions: 5 users
When I was in Jr High, I wanted to be a doctor. When I got to HS, I wanted to go into Banking/Business. When I got to College, I became a music major. Halfway through college, I thought I wanted to try to get into B-school (or at least set myself up for it) until I took intro econ and hated it. When I was about to graduate college, I realized I may have possibly made a mistake in majoring in music. After I worked as a violinist for 2 years, I knew I made a mistake. And now I ended up applying to med school. And although now I THINK I might want to go into EM or primary care and that I THINK I hate surgery, I'm fully cognizant of the possibility that I will come out of med school feeling the exact opposite. THIS is the humility everyone else is telling you to develop.

Seriously, the people in these threads are right. At 18, you have no idea what the freak you want in your life. Maybe some do, but be open to the fact that it MOST LIKELY will change. The majority of college students change their major and change their interests.

True, but I wouldn't recommend flip flopping too much or else you might end up not being able to do any of things you wanted to do. I've seen too many "which ever way the wind blows" premeds and undergrads end up in a major they aren't actually passionate about because they couldn't follow through on their passions.

Well; You folks can go ahead and state I may change my mind, etc I disagree though.
You would have to personally know me as to why though... There is no point in arguing about it..
Also if I flip flopped so much I would never finish college in 4 years, get the MCAT taken in time, and work on my ECs.. I started working on my ECs like 3-4 weeks after graduating HS..
You can't make the decision to go to medical school mid year, and then expect to go at the end. At least that's how I see it..
It's like football.. If you want to make the varsity team you have to start preparing in elementary/middle school. You have to practice, practice, practice so you can make the team freshman year, and hopefully make varsity as a junior.

Anyways;
This medical school seems to be on a similar track to Cooper in NJ
I think the only issue is it is new, and for-profit
Check out Cooper Med.. I believe it took them 4 years to become fully accredited.
http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/

Also I looked up some state med schools, the faculty is comparable to some of the state med schools. Not a major difference really..
They are still hiring, and it all seems rushed though but other than that it looks good.

You can't make the decision to go to medical school mid year, and then expect to go at the end. At least that's how I see it..
It's like football.. If you want to make the varsity team you have to start preparing in elementary/middle school. You have to practice, practice, practice so you can make the team freshman year, and hopefully make varsity as a junior.

Hehe.

Dude you are crazy!

Just because some kids play organized football growing up doesn't mean it is necessary in order to make varsity 8 years later.

Seriously I can't tell if you are just a really good troll or actually deluded enough that you actually believe some of the things you are posting.

Just because some kids play organized football growing up doesn't mean it is necessary in order to make varsity 8 years later..
Read the book outliers

Nobody said it is necessary.. It is necessary to be the very best though.
The more hours you invest in something the better you get, the better you are, the greater your chances of becoming an expert in something. That's why at major academic hospitals you'll see surgeons who specifically focus on tumors, or something else, etc.. Focusing on one thing, investing insane amounts of time into it, and going at it with dedication can get you far.

Source: http://www.wisdomgroup.com/blog/10000-hours-of-practice/
10,000 hours to become a master at something... 10,000.

That would be valid if you were performing surgeries.

Focus on learning and broadening your horizons and breadth of experience. That's your biggest need right now and will serve you best moving forward.

Read the book outliers

Nobody said it is necessary.. It is necessary to be the very best though.
The more hours you invest in something the better you get, the better you are, the greater your chances of becoming an expert in something. That's why at major academic hospitals you'll see surgeons who specifically focus on tumors, or something else, etc.. Focusing on one thing, investing insane amounts of time into it, and going at it with dedication can get you far.

Source: http://www.wisdomgroup.com/blog/10000-hours-of-practice/
10,000 hours to become a master at something... 10,000.

Let me tell you about being groomed since a child. THAT doesn't mean you will do it or even WANT to do it. I've been groomed to become an international level musician since I was 6! I've trained with the best, competed with the best, experienced the best. I thought I wanted it. I thought I wanted it so bad that I would throw 9-10 hours a day of practice into it. And at age 23, out of college and into working I realized I hated my life and cried every single day of where my life ended up. Medicine is wonderful BECAUSE you can always come back to it later in life. I didn't have an AHA medicine <3 <3 moment. I legitimately explored every possible career path that I might like to see what I could see myself doing. This whole "I love it and have loved it as a kid" bleeds naivety and immaturity. The 10,000 hour thing is cute, but if you never take time and gain life experience, you could end up like me, except in tons of debt because medicine is expensive.

Maybe surgery is different (but only by a bit..I would argue surgery in itself is probably the specialty most similar to music..which is why as of now I have 0 interest in it)--but trust me you have a lot of time to figure out if you want to do this with your life. Don't be so set on it yet, there's so much life that has yet to happen.

Let me tell you about being groomed since a child. THAT doesn't mean you will do it or even WANT to do it. I've been groomed to become an international level musician since I was 6! I've trained with the best, competed with the best, experienced the best. I thought I wanted it. I thought I wanted it so bad that I would throw 9-10 hours a day of practice into it. And at age 23, out of college and into working I realized I hated my life and cried every single day of where my life ended up. Medicine is wonderful BECAUSE you can always come back to it later in life. I didn't have an AHA medicine <3 <3 moment. I legitimately explored every possible career path that I might like to see what I could see myself doing. This whole "I love it and have loved it as a kid" bleeds naivety and immaturity. The 10,000 hour thing is cute, but if you never take time and gain life experience, you could end up like me, except in tons of debt because medicine is expensive.

Maybe surgery is different (but only by a bit..I would argue surgery in itself is probably the specialty most similar to music..which is why as of now I have 0 interest in it)--but trust me you have a lot of time to figure out if you want to do this with your life. Don't be so set on it yet, there's so much life that has yet to happen.

You get it! And while it does take years of intense study to become a great surgeon the fact remains there really isn't anything you can do as a premed to prepare yourself to become a great surgeon outside of simply doing well in your classes so that you can get into a good medical school.

You get it! And while it does take years of intense study to become a great surgeon the fact remains there really isn't anything you can do as a premed to prepare yourself to become a great surgeon outside of simply doing well in your classes so that you can get into a good medical school.
I'm not preparing to be a great surgeon??? I'm preparing to get into an Allopathic medical school with a research focus. That would be many state schools, a lot of private, etc..

I agree 100% with you on this. I did the same
I explored all my career options..
Thought of being a rough neck in North Dakota making six figures, a Computer Engineer, Lawyer, etc.. I couldn't imagine myself doing any of those, and settled with medicine. I actually fought against the desire to pursue the medical field.
I tried thinking of every other career option..
Heck at one point I even entertained the idea of being a farmer!! lol

Is there anyone that is actually enrolled at CNU that's still on this thread?

Nope they actually more important things to do unlike the rest of us ;)

I just thought it would be interesting ti actually make this thread useful and maybe have them chime in what they were thinking about the program and their correspondence with the school since admission. But, considering that civility and charity were both thrown out the window early on in this thread, I guess this thread is probably officially useless.

Go over to the school specific thread (there are several links thoughout this thread) to find what you are looking for.

Well I tried to bring this thread back on topic talking about the faculty.. It didn't work..
Oh well..
The faculty credentials are just as great as your average state school.
Maybe the school will turn out great 4+ years from now?
I guess a lot of it depends on if the entire class matches, where they match, the step 1 scores, and everything.

Wonder how long it will take for this school to be in the rankings...

Wonder how long it will take for this school to be in the rankings...

This thread has been so crazy I don't even know if you are being sarcastic or serious.

But, if you are serious, I would say 9 years. It's an MD school near south Sacramento that's one hour 30 minutes away from Oakland and two hours away from San Francisco (think about future faculty/research partnerships, etc.). Plus, they are planning to expand. They already have plans to buy out the 75,000 sq. feet Alldata company building next door and slowly build a campus in 2016.

Last edited:
I don't mind people.. I just prefer to be always on the go/fast paced.
Perhaps that will fade as I age, but for now I don't care.. I don't have a wife.. a girlfriend.. or kids.. or aged parents who need constant care..

I am not sure how much experience you have in the medical field, if you haven't noticed both DO/MD schools are moving towards the holistic health. You don't think surgeon are people person?? I think you need to re-evaluate your life. I am a health care professional. I see patients on a daily basis. You see them at the worst time of their life. Do you think you can be wishy washy to people while discussing about a major life event with the patients and family? As a surgeon, you aren't just working by yourself. It is a team effort. People have to like you to want to work with you. Patients will have to like you or they will give you bad reviews- (hence no payment with the new ACA repayment plan). You have so much years ahead. Your attitude will be crushed once you walk through that hospital door. I would suggested for you to volunteered in a hospital. If you don't like people or want to be around people- healthcare isn't for you.

Your attitude will be crushed once you walk through that hospital door. I would suggested for you to volunteered in a hospital. If you don't like people or want to be around people- healthcare isn't for you.

What a joke. Half of the physicians i've worked with can't stand people. I've seen ED physicians yell at patients for showing up and saying they don't have a PCP. Not to mention the blatant discrimination. Girl shows up wearing a polo with her mom (MVA; 0 pain; 0 LOC; 0 bruising; no head trauma)? Guys a saint. Girl shows up with tattoos? Suddenly its time to whip out mr. tough love (who cares about her abd pain).

What world do people on this forum live in? Oh my god. The entire healthcare profession is full of judgmental old men and nurses which gossip left and right. Where are you people working thats filled with saints? Oz? I don't think i've ever seen a surgeon spend more than 10 minutes with a conscious pt, but suddenly its the charisma job? Right.

This thread has been so crazy I don't even know if you are being sarcastic or serious.

But, if you are serious, I would say 9 years. It's an MD school near south Sacramento that's one hour 30 minutes away from Oakland and two hours away from San Francisco (think about future faculty/research partnerships, etc.). Plus, they are planning to expand. They already have plans to buy out the 75,000 sq. feet Alldata company building next door and slowly build a campus in 2016.
You really think 9 years? If MD is anything like colleges, a spot on the rankings is the only way you'll ever be heard of by many applicants

You really think 9 years? If MD is anything like colleges, a spot on the rankings is the only way you'll ever be heard of by many applicants

or just msar sort by avg mcat.