California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
doesn't matter. you could literally match one person out of a class of 60 and still have people battering down the doors to fulfill their ill-conceived dreams of practicing medicine.
Ouch. Well I tried to be optimistic.

Members don't see this ad.

Relative to the whole nation, middle class gross income in California is wealthy. In the more expensive parts, I'd say household income of 200k is considered upper-middle class.

Making *only* $100k in the SF Bay Area effectively shuts you out of the real estate market bc of housing prices. It's a wierd place.

Reactions: 1 user
I really wish there was someway to find out just how many applications they have gotten so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to get into whether middle class in CA is "wealthy" or not, but I do think middle class folk would be able to get private loans easier, and hence why the poster earlier said he/she believes that the first class would be middle class or higher. Just my interpretation of the statement, but I agree, unless that $2 million dollars is per year and not over 4 years.

I'm gonna guess they'll get a couple thousand at least before this cycle is over.

I dont know about that. I mean if you aren't on SDN or live in California how are you even going to hear about this school? Add to the fact that it is a very short time frame to apply I think they will at most get 1000 applicant. Now this coming cycle I expect they will be inundated with applicants.

I dont know about that. I mean if you aren't on SDN or live in California how are you even going to hear about this school? Add to the fact that it is a very short time frame to apply I think they will at most get 1000 applicant. Now this coming cycle I expect they will be inundated with applicants.
Actually, you're probably right.

From their site: "How many applications do you receive, interviews do you grant, and applicants do you accept in an average year?
We typically receive more than 1000 applications a year, grant approximately 300 interviews, and offer acceptances to seat a class of 60."

Obviously, they don't actually typically receive that many, since this is their first app cycle lol, but I'm guessing they are anticipating around 1000 applicants, like you said.

This isn't directed towards you specifically but the post provided the impetus -

As a PSA, don't flag the known faculty unless you have really really good reason to. By and large, you probably don't. The batsignal is not a toy my friends.
383333ac18ffef3b6acb3c8a46c02e681cb78a32b71b571779c5ea8d080ead25.jpg

Still a terrible deal! Higher interest rates, worse payback schemes and/or lack of forgiveness programs, not to mention weird stuff like debt that's not discharged when the student dies, and the parents who co-signed on the loan are stuck paying it back.

Why in the world would anyone want to go to this school? It's reminiscent of the Caribbean...
Private loans are often around the same interest rates as government loans (6%). Both are irresponsibly high. The federal government makes billions off of medical school debt.

Grad plus is almost always worse than private, and the origination fees for the gov loans don't help.

is there any chance people going to this school won't be able to graduate/secure a residency?

is there any chance people going to this school won't be able to graduate/secure a residency?

No, unless they lose their accreditation which could happen to any school. That being said the risk of losing accreditation is higher IMO for a new school then for an established school. Now there very well might be some difficulty securing really competitive residencies because no one knows just how 'good' this schools rotations are.

I think this school is a very good opportunity for some people but there are definitely some draw backs as well as some concern with attending this school. That being said I am applying to this school and if I get accepted I will be attending but I am also not the average applicant.

Private loans are often around the same interest rates as government loans (6%). Both are irresponsibly high. The federal government makes billions off of medical school debt.

Grad plus is almost always worse than private, and the origination fees for the gov loans don't help.

You know, I was going to call BS exaggeration on the billions part, but then I played with the numbers - 20,000 med students per year averaging $50,000 of lifetime interest on loans...yup one billion. Per med school class.

You know, I was going to call BS exaggeration on the billions part, but then I played with the numbers - 20,000 med students per year averaging $50,000 of lifetime interest on loans...yup one billion. Per med school class.
Median debt is like 180k, at 7% that's 12.6k for a single year. Do a 10 year plan and people are paying a lot more than 50k in interest. Also the average debt is usually at graduation, so got to add another 30% as it grows during residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are interview invites being sent through snail mail or email?

Are Canadians considered foreign for California Northstate?

Are Canadians considered foreign for California Northstate?
I think so. The first step for the primary application basically asks if you are a US citizen or legal permanent resident (green card) so if you have a green card I think you can apply. Might be useful to call their office and confirm however.

I think so. The first step for the primary application basically asks if you are a US citizen or legal permanent resident (green card) so if you have a green card I think you can apply. Might be useful to call their office and confirm however.

tried all day couldn't get a hold of them

How long after filling out the secondary did you get the interview?

Those in charge of the school have a legal obligation to maximize shareholder value. If they don't (by doing things like granting scholarships to students) they could be sued by the investors. This is why you'll see this school have the highest tuition and secondary fee they can get away with under their accreditation, for example. Even if the faculty is full of lovely people, you have to realize that the administration is legally bound to screwing you over financially as much as possible.

It's not nearly as straightforward as you are making it to be.

Companies getting sued for failure to "maximize shareholder value" seldom ever happens, because the burden of proof is very high. You have to prove gross unloyalty or incompetence with the intention to hurt the shareholders (or lack of consideration for the consequences of management's decisions).

A for-profit medical school could never get sued for granting scholarships... that's simply idiotic.

Ty. Do you know if they had all your transcripts and letters of recommendation?

I think so. The opening lines of the II email read "The Admissions Committee has completed the review of your application and materials. Based on the strength of your academic background, the Admissions Committee would like to invite you to campus for a formal interview for the Fall 2015 Inaugural Class."

would anyone mind to share the scheduled interview date? do you think it is possible to call the school to reschedule the interview date? thanks. You can pm me if prefer

I know of July 7th and 10th

Last edited:
If you're worried about your app feel free to call them. Turned out my MCAT verification hadn't gone through so thankfully I got that resolved.

I don't have access to the email right now but I called the number on the secondary and used the extension.

It seems people are having very different experiences getting in touch with the school. I have had several interactions with them both on the phone and by email and they have been easy to get a hold of each time.

It seems people are having very different experiences getting in touch with the school. I have had several interactions with them both on the phone and by email and they have been easy to get a hold of each time.

They state on their FAQ that it is better not to contact them regarding your application since it will only slow them down. Not a direct quote, but it said something to this extent.

They state on their FAQ that it is better not to contact them regarding your application since it will only slow them down. Not a direct quote, but it said something to this extent.
"Can I contact the Admissions Office to find out if I have been accepted?
We notify every applicant, as soon as possible. Please do not call our office to check on your status. This hinders the process and delays notification for all applicants. Be patient and wait to hear from us."

Not sure if we shouldn't contact them in general, or only for acceptance notification. I think if they do not let applicants know that they are complete, then it's reasonable to call and make sure everything is received. It would suck to send everything in, and then assume you are complete but something got lost in the process and lose out you know.

Reactions: 1 users
I interpret this as meaning that they have a very, very small Admissions staff. Not a good sign.

"Can I contact the Admissions Office to find out if I have been accepted?
We notify every applicant, as soon as possible. Please do not call our office to check on your status. This hinders the process and delays notification for all applicants. Be patient and wait to hear from us."

Not sure if we shouldn't contact them in general, or only for acceptance notification. I think if they do not let applicants know that they are complete, then it's reasonable to call and make sure everything is received. It would suck to send everything in, and then assume you are complete but something got lost in the process and lose out you know.

Sorry if this question has been answered already! I tried looking through the thread but didn't really see anything.

For those who submitted their MCAT for Fall 2015 already, how did you do that? On the AAMC's list of recipients for electronic submission I can't seem to find CNUCOM.

It looks like the federal government is coming down hard on for-profit education. How will this affect for-profit medical schools like RVU or Cal Northstate?

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/01/pf/...ex.html?sr=fbmoney701forprofitcollege300story

that's for colleges. If cnu is able to graduate it's students and match them, the students will have no problem paying off debt as a doctor. If they can't graduate students or match them, lcme will take care of that long before white house does anything

Reactions: 4 users
Alright y'all, I need advice. I applied this past cycle and I'm sitting on 3 MD waitlists (UCSD, USC, and UC Davis). I didn't apply to non West Coast schools. I have a 3.8 and a 35, and right now my plan is to go to Touro-CA (where I got accepted) if I don't get pulled from any of these waitlists (and honestly I don't think I will, ugh). Would it be better to go to CNU (I got my II today) or Touro? Money isn't an issue for me. Helpppppp.

Alright y'all, I need advice. I applied this past cycle and I'm sitting on 3 MD waitlists (UCSD, USC, and UC Davis). I didn't apply to non West Coast schools. I have a 3.8 and a 35, and right now my plan is to go to Touro-CA (where I got accepted) if I don't get pulled from any of these waitlists (and honestly I don't think I will, ugh). Would it be better to go to CNU (I got my II today) or Touro? Money isn't an issue for me. Helpppppp.

I think we will soon get a ton of people saying that you should go to Touro, but honestly I think that this knee jerk reaction to the fact that this school is for-profit is unreasonable. Why would an MD school in California not have the match that is compatible to or even better than Touro? For once, the first class size will be the smallest of any DO school out there.

Last edited:

I feel like you're not telling us everything if you only have 3 WL with a 3.8/35. Otherwise I'm screwed with my stats. I say Touro is the more prudent choice versus an unproven product in CNUCOM.

I feel like you're not telling us everything if you only have 3 WL with a 3.8/35. Otherwise I'm screwed with my stats. I say Touro is the more prudent choice versus an unproven product in CNUCOM.
They said they only applied on the west coast. That was their problem.

OP's stats are near the 90th percentile for all the west coast MD schools so I'm surprised Touro is the only acceptance.

OP: Go to the interview and see how CNUCOM compares to Touro.

OP's stats are near the 90th percentile for all the west coast MD schools so I'm surprised Touro is the only acceptance.

OP: Go to the interview and see how CNUCOM compares to Touro.

but there are also a lot of people with those stats