California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright y'all, I need advice. I applied this past cycle and I'm sitting on 3 MD waitlists (UCSD, USC, and UC Davis). I didn't apply to non West Coast schools. I have a 3.8 and a 35, and right now my plan is to go to Touro-CA (where I got accepted) if I don't get pulled from any of these waitlists (and honestly I don't think I will, ugh). Would it be better to go to CNU (I got my II today) or Touro? Money isn't an issue for me. Helpppppp.
Wow, awesome GPA and MCAT! I don't know what your ECs or other parts of your application looks like, but I certainly think (and hope) you should be pulled off the waitlist for at least one of those schools!

That being said, I think you should definitely attend the interview (especially if it's not far from you, I'm assuming you're from CA) and see how you like it. Might turn out you like Touro better, and you'll never regret not applying. Or might end up you really like CNU! I'm sure you will get in CNU with those stats. Good luck! :)

btw when is your interview for?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like you're not telling us everything if you only have 3 WL with a 3.8/35. Otherwise I'm screwed with my stats. I say Touro is the more prudent choice versus an unproven product in CNUCOM.
I only applied to CA schools, if that gives you more information. also I had very little research and no publications.

Wow, awesome GPA and MCAT! I don't know what your ECs or other parts of your application looks like, but I certainly think (and hope) you should be pulled off the waitlist for at least one of those schools!

That being said, I think you should definitely attend the interview (especially if it's not far from you, I'm assuming you're from CA) and see how you like it. Might turn out you like Touro better, and you'll never regret not applying. Or might end up you really like CNU! I'm sure you will get in CNU with those stats. Good luck! :)

btw when is your interview for?
Thanks, though I kind of doubt I'll get pulled from any of those waitlists at this point :(. My interview is scheduled for 7/24, which is like a week before Touro starts lol.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
OP's stats are near the 90th percentile for all the west coast MD schools so I'm surprised Touro is the only acceptance.

OP: Go to the interview and see how CNUCOM compares to Touro.
I think that's why I got the interviews at USC, UCSD, and UCD. I thought the interviews went ok (though I was pretty nervous for the UCD one), but I think what killed me was lack of research/publications. Usually people with my stats have at least one publication to their name, and that's where I'm lacking.

Alright y'all, I need advice. I applied this past cycle and I'm sitting on 3 MD waitlists (UCSD, USC, and UC Davis). I didn't apply to non West Coast schools. I have a 3.8 and a 35, and right now my plan is to go to Touro-CA (where I got accepted) if I don't get pulled from any of these waitlists (and honestly I don't think I will, ugh). Would it be better to go to CNU (I got my II today) or Touro? Money isn't an issue for me. Helpppppp.
If I were you, I'd feel a little nervous about turning down an acceptance when the only other thing I had was an interview. I think you'll probably be accepted to CNU, but I like to play things really safe, and I would feel uncomfortable turning down an acceptance when I didn't have any other acceptances for sure.

but there are also a lot of people with those stats
Yup. My ECs weren't anything special, and I think that's what killed me. And it's too late to reapply this cycle, blergh. I'm going to be the only person at Touro with these stats, but that doesn't mean Touro's a bad school. Also I want to go into Emergency Medicine, if that adds any more info.

If I were you, I'd feel a little nervous about turning down an acceptance when the only other thing I had was an interview. I think you'll probably be accepted to CNU, but I like to play things really safe, and I would feel uncomfortable turning down an acceptance when I didn't have any other acceptances for sure.
I won't turn down my acceptance at Touro until I got into CNU. That would be playing with fire :p

I'll also add that I liked Touro a lot when I interiewed and would be totally happy to go there, it's mostly just the thought that I could do better that's holding me back. Anyway, thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Also, I don't think my stats are in the 90th percentile for CA schools. I think they're in like the 60th percentile. CA schools are ridiculously hard to get into.

I'm going to be checking out CNU today (just poking around, not an official tour or anything), I'll let you all know what I think!

If anyone in the area wants to check out CNU with me, PM me. I'll be there around 11 today.

Last edited:
Any east coast people applying?!!
I hope there's no east coast-west coast beef at this school lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question it's really up to you after you see the school and meet the staff and read over the curriculum. Also if your comfortable with the accreditation and loan factors at cnucom. You'll be happy at both places and become an excellent physician, so try not to worry too much. Stressing over which school to pick is a luxury many if us don't have :)
Truth! Going where you feel the happiest is what's most important at the end of the day.

Will do! I'm a pretty skeptical person so I'll be a tough judge of this place.
Leela, If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your secondary? I've submitted mine last Thursday and haven't heard anything back. Average state 32/3.8

Alright, just got back from poking around a bit. Unfortunately the building was closed (most likely due to it being 4th of July weekend) so I didn't get to see much. It was just basically a huge office building-looking place surrounded by a big parking lot. The surrounding area seemed fairly nice, pretty residential with a few shopping areas that had Safeway, Starbucks, Wells Fargo, etc. I wish I had come up on a non-holiday, but the reason I'm around this area is for a hiking trip, not because I'm from here. I guess I'll just have to wait for my interview on the 24th before I really form an impression of the place.

Leela, If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your secondary? I've submitted mine last Thursday and haven't heard anything back. Average state 32/3.8
I submitted my secondary 2 weeks ago, got the II yesterday. I sent my letters/transcripts right when I submitted my secondary but I'm not sure if CNU has them already. I rush ordered them though so I'm guessing they do. Hope that helps! I'm sure everyone will get an II soon :)

I feel like you're not telling us everything if you only have 3 WL with a 3.8/35. Otherwise I'm screwed with my stats. I say Touro is the more prudent choice versus an unproven product in CNUCOM.
I had better stats than that, and it took me two cycles to get one acceptance. Even with great stats, there are plenty of non-redflag-related factors that will easily let one slip through the cracks.

I had better stats than that, and it took me two cycles to get one acceptance. Even with great stats, there are plenty of non-redflag-related factors that will easily let one slip through the cracks.

Can you elaborate on these "non-reflags"?

Can you elaborate on these "non-reflags"?
Sure. Just to be clear, when I said "red flag", I mean sketchy things like disciplinary activities or a kiss of death LoR.

When it comes towards getting interviews, it ultimately boils down to whether or not a school thinks you might be a good fit based on your paper application. Factors that may make them think otherwise may include not having sufficient research experiences if the school is a research-heavy school, providing very cookie-cutter responses on their secondaries that show no research of the school on your part, not having sufficient shadowing (VERY important), not having sufficient volunteer-related activities, having frequent typos in your secondaries (seriously, take the time to at least read them over and revise as necessary), and of course, sometimes just not fitting the mold of the students they usually attract (i.e. geographically, professionally).

And of course, timing can also be very important as waiting too long to turn in your materials can delay consideration of your application which can be detrimental as the interview spots left at a school begin to dwindle down. And there's always the possibility that sometimes a school declines you because whomever was looking at your application just simply felt that you weren't particularly interesting, or that you probably wouldn't attend that school anyway (this is heavily a result of applicants applying to a large number of schools). And relating to that, there's always the possibility that you simply applied to schools that weren't good fits.

In my opinion, prior to actually receiving interviews, it's usually very difficult to gauge which specific schools will offer you interviews based on your application, but you should be able to gauge a number of interviews you will likely receive.

Sure. Just to be clear, when I said "red flag", I mean sketchy things like disciplinary activities or a kiss of death LoR.

When it comes towards getting interviews, it ultimately boils down to whether or not a school thinks you might be a good fit based on your paper application. Factors that may make them think otherwise may include not having sufficient research experiences if the school is a research-heavy school, providing very cookie-cutter responses on their secondaries that show no research of the school on your part, not having sufficient shadowing (VERY important), not having sufficient volunteer-related activities, having frequent typos in your secondaries (seriously, take the time to at least read them over and revise as necessary), and of course, sometimes just not fitting the mold of the students they usually attract (i.e. geographically, professionally).

And of course, timing can also be very important as waiting too long to turn in your materials can delay consideration of your application which can be detrimental as the interview spots left at a school begin to dwindle down. And there's always the possibility that sometimes a school declines you because whomever was looking at your application just simply felt that you weren't particularly interesting, or that you probably wouldn't attend that school anyway (this is heavily a result of applicants applying to a large number of schools). And relating to that, there's always the possibility that you simply applied to schools that weren't good fits.

actually receiving interviews, it's usually very difficult to gauge which specific schools will offer you interviews based on your application, but you should be able to gauge a number of interviews you will likely receive.

What was your red flag, out of curiosity?

Yup. My ECs weren't anything special, and I think that's what killed me. And it's too late to reapply this cycle, blergh. I'm going to be the only person at Touro with these stats, but that doesn't mean Touro's a bad school. Also I want to go into Emergency Medicine, if that adds any more info.

That's not true I personally know someone that will be headed there with a 3.9/38 due to the same reason you didn't see success with the UC. Relatively low EC and no research

Thanks, though I kind of doubt I'll get pulled from any of those waitlists at this point :(. My interview is scheduled for 7/24, which is like a week before Touro starts lol.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
Wow that's crazy they've already filled up interviews until the 24th!

What was your red flag, out of curiosity?
My weaknesses first cycle were my limited shadowing (less than 5 hours), and the fact that I got my transcripts verified late, and ultimately turned in things later than I should. Also, I only applied to about a dozen schools (which isn't necessary too little, but I applied to too many schools that were too similar).

Second cycle, I'm not sure, maybe I just don't interview terrifically. My shadowing hours increased a lot, but still aren't a lot compared to most pre-meds, but regardless, I got a good number of interviews from pretty good places, and only one school rejected me post-interview. Apart from the school that accepted me super early in the cycle, the rest all waitlisted me (I ended up declining/withdrawing from most of them due to the acceptance).

That's not true I personally know someone that will be headed there with a 3.9/38 due to the same reason you didn't see success with the UC. Relatively low EC and no research
Oh wow. That just goes to show how difficult it is to get into CA schools. I honestly thought my USC interview went the best (I felt like I really connected with my interviewers), but since they're a research-heavy school I think they didn't want me. Same with UCSD. As for Uc Davis, I realized after I submitted my secondary that my responses could have been better (they weren't bad, just bland), and I was randomly super nervous in the interview (to the point where I definitely didn't do well on one of the MMI stations). I guess it's better to be waitlisted than flat-out rejected (like, I'm glad they didn't think I was a serial killer or something), but it's been so painful sitting on 3 waitlists with very little hope.

Touro is a good school, and I think I'd be happy there, but people keep telling me what a difference it makes to have "MD" rather than "DO" after your name. One of my good friends is an attending EM physician at Stanford and he's telling me to avoid DO school like the plague.

This whole process sucks. But beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

I wonder what student CNU prefers, the high MCAT/GPA student that may lack ECs, or the student with lower/average stats that has good/excellent ECs?

Maybe it'll end up being a mixture of both, but I think the high MCAT/GPA students give them an opportunity to "show off" the stats of their first class to attract future students, so my gut feeling is that is who they will accept (if they have enough of those sort of applicants - which very well may be the case). I'm interested to see how this'll work out.

I suspect they'll take anyone with pulse and a tuition check.

I wonder what student CNU prefers, the high MCAT/GPA student that may lack ECs, or the student with lower/average stats that has good/excellent ECs?

Maybe it'll end up being a mixture of both, but I think the high MCAT/GPA students give them an opportunity to "show off" the stats of their first class to attract future students, so my gut feeling is that is who they will accept (if they have enough of those sort of applicants - which very well may be the case). I'm interested to see how this'll work out.

I'm sure they will. CA locale + MD + lots of applicants who want to stay in CA. I'll bet UCD could fill their class alone with graduates.

Balancing this out will be people leery of a brand new school, and those that have an issue with one with a for-profit status.

I have no doubt that they'll fill their class several times over.

I suspect they will have their fair share of qualified candidates to choose from.

Wow that's crazy they've already filled up interviews until the 24th!
How many interview days do you think there are so far?? How many will there be?
Anything after July, if even given an invite, I feel like is too short of a time period to get prepared for starting classes and everything.

I only know of July 7th, 10th, and 24th so far (probably at least one during the week of the 12th too?). Curious how many are in each group if they only plan on accepting 60.

Considering the tours, lunch, and 3 1/2 hour interviews, it can't be too large can it? Unless they have a large staff and they're group interviews.

I only know of July 7th, 10th, and 24th so far (probably at least one during the week of the 12th too?). Curious how many are in each group if they only plan on accepting 60.

Considering the tours, lunch, and 3 1/2 hour interviews, it can't be too large can it? Unless they have a large staff and they're group interviews.
From their site it doesn't seem like they have a large staff but who knows. By group do you mean group of students or group of staff interviewing a single student?
On their site they said they're expecting 1000 applicants, will interview 300, and accept 60... But I hope there's only 60 interviewees and they're all of us from Sdn :D lol

Those interviewing July 7th (and later), would y'all mind sharing your experiences, thoughts on interview process, etc. of the school?

From their site it doesn't seem like they have a large staff but who knows. By group do you mean group of students or group of staff interviewing a single student?
On their site they said they're expecting 1000 applicants, will interview 300, and accept 60... But I hope there's only 60 interviewees and they're all of us from Sdn :D lol

Those interviewing July 7th (and later), would y'all mind sharing your experiences, thoughts on interview process, etc. of the school?

Heading there on the 7th. I was thinking group of students.

Last edited:
yes, keep us posted! I'll give my two cents after my interview on the 24th.

This is giving me so much anxiety. I was starting to get really ready to just go to DO school. Medical schools really know how to mess with your mind/heart/sanity. Here's to hoping CNU works out for us!

As someone with local practice goals, and having had a few MD interviews in 2014-2015, IMO this school's opening will be a fantastic opportunity for many people. I also have another account here, but would prefer to stay anonymous to discuss things.

I suspect they'll take anyone with pulse and a tuition check.

As much as you might dislike this school's for profit status, it will give future physicians a better chance for returning here to practice and also mitigate local physician shortages.

On that topic, and to anyone who thinks that Universities aren't for profit, I would encourage you to research how graduate studies and faculty hiring/promotion in University systems are structured; both are dependent on grant money, hidden administration agendas ($ and preference), etc. And if you think that pandering for NIH grant $ via pools of underpaid domestic and international students isn't a for profit scheme, you haven't spent enough time in/around research.

IMO, CNUCOM being for profit -- without a substantial research income -- makes attending CNUCOM more appealing to me, if anything; their income is derived from students, and therefore, students have more of a relationship with the university and its owners comprised of LOCAL physicians and community leaders.

Here are things that UC Davis does that are for profit: the "2020 initiative" is in the pipeline to increase undergraduate international student enrollment by 5,000 (yes, 5,000) by 2020 strictly to gain revenue; the department chairs of various medical specialties at the UCD SOM are PhDs and only appointed because they've attracted multiple R1 grants; hiring is preferential and driven by aforementioned administrative agendas, etc etc. I'm not hating on UCD, either, but public universities aren't immune to the real world.

CNUCOM is in a position to train future physicians to work here without sucking up public funding and NIH grant money to churn out basic science research and medical graduates that have no intention of practicing here. Count me first in line to attend and make the most of the opportunity (USMLE, matching, community involvement, etc).

Last edited:
I wish you well on your journey, but LCME provisional accreditation status aside, so far everything they'd done has we worried that there are serious pitfalls in your pathway (not your doing, but theirs). Time will tell!

As someone with local practice goals, and having had a few MD interviews in 2014-2015, IMO this school's opening will be a fantastic opportunity for many people. I also have another account here, but would prefer to stay anonymous to discuss things.

As much as you might dislike this school's for profit status, it will give future physicians a better chance of returning here to practice and also to mitigate local physician shortages.

On that topic, and to anyone who thinks that Universities aren't for profit, I would encourage you to research how graduate studies and faculty hiring/promotion in University systems are structured; both are dependent on grant money, hidden administration agendas ($ and preference), etc. And if you think that pandering to the NIH $ via pools of underpaid domestic and international students isn't a for profit scheme, you haven't spent enough time in/around research.

IMO, CNUCOM being for profit -- without a substantial research income -- makes attending CNUCOM more appealing to me, if anything; their income is derived from students, and therefore, students have more of a relationship with the university and its owners comprised of LOCAL physicians and community leaders.

Here are things that UC Davis does that are for profit: the "2020 initiative" is in the pipeline to increase undergraduate international student enrollment by 5,000 (yes, 5,000) by 2020 strictly to gain revenue; the department chairs of various medical specialties at the UCD SOM are PhDs and only appointed because they've attracted multiple R1 grants; faculty from Ivy League schools come there to effectively retire while earning exorbitant salaries; hiring is preferential and driven by aforementioned administrative agendas, etc etc.

CNUCOM is in a position to train future physicians to work here without sucking up public funding and NIH grant money to churn out basic science research and students that have no intention of practicing here. Count me first in line to attend and make the most of the opportunity (USMLE, matching, community involvement, etc).

I wish you well on your journey, but LCME provisional accreditation status aside, so far everything they'd done has we worried that there are serious pitfalls in your pathway (not your doing, but theirs). Time will tell!

I understand where you're coming from, and I've followed CNU's development for several years (re: pharmacy accreditation, etc). However, when I see friends of mine at the UCD SOM from LA/the Bay Area admit to wanting to leave and never come back, I can't help but insist that CNUCOM's opening -- despite their struggles -- will help this area at the end of the day. Northern California is huge, and there aren't any other medical schools North of Sacramento. The UC system's effort to enable physicians to practice there (PRIME program) as well as the Central Valley (UC Merced) is frankly weak.

On that topic, I like that Touro COM exists, but let's be serious, I'd bet that most of its students want to practice in the Bay Area or another over-saturated area of California.

To anyone interested, attached are the match lists of Touro COM and the UC Davis SOM. These don't tell the whole story, but give a general idea of how well NorCal med students match and possibly what CNUCOM graduates will do (given that TUCOM is in a similar area, has a high MCAT average (30) compared to other DO schools, and likely has a similar applicant pool).

Attachments

• TUCOM Match List.xls
    92.5 KB · Views: 85
  • UCD SOM 2014 Match List.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 54
  • UCD SOM 2013 Match List.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 48
  • UCD SOM 2012 Match List.pdf
    87.3 KB · Views: 34
  • UCD SOM 2011 Match List.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
TUCOM and comparisons to UCD are irrevant. Comparing outcomes for CNU and TUCOM are merely academic, since it will be 4 years before we see CNU'S match list.

From what one of my Clinical Deans has told me, CNU ate a chunk out of UC'S rotation sites.

I understand where you're coming from, and I've followed CNU's development for several years (re: pharmacy accreditation, etc). However, when I see friends of mine at the UCD SOM from LA/the Bay Area admit to wanting to leave and never come back, I can't help but insist that CNUCOM's opening -- despite their struggles -- will help this area at the end of the day. Northern California is huge, and there aren't any other medical schools North of Sacramento. The UC system's effort to enable physicians to practice there (PRIME program) as well as the Central Valley (UC Merced) is frankly weak.

On that topic, I like that Touro COM exists, but let's be serious, I'd bet that most of its students want to practice in the Bay Area or another over-saturated area of California.

To anyone interested, attached are the match lists of Touro COM and the UC Davis SOM. These don't tell the whole story, but give a general idea of how well NorCal med students match and possibly what CNUCOM graduates will do (given that TUCOM is in a similar area, has a high MCAT average (30) compared to other DO schools, and likely has a similar applicant pool).

TUCOM and comparisons to UCD are irrevant. Comparing outcomes for CNU and TUCOM are merely academic, since it will be 4 years before we see CNU'S match list.

From what one of my Clinical Deans has told me, CNU ate a chunk out of UC'S rotation sites.

They aren't comparable, no; but, it's all I've/we've got to go on. It's not like UCSF or Stanford count or anything... they hand pick classes of students that aren't from here/will never work here, and both say that they don't have an in state bias which for a publicly funded school like UCSF is doing the state a disservice. I'm done ranting, on that note.

I didn't know that about the rotation sites, but I like to see Kaiser getting involved. They're a big presence in Northern California. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I honestly just really hope I hate this place when I interview. That way the decision will be easy.

I honestly just really hope I hate this place when I interview. That way the decision will be easy.
Could you ask how many of their MD faculty have a license to practice in CA? I'm unfamiliar with the their Ob-Gyn faculty so I looked her up on the Medical Board website and couldn't find anything. I checked ABOG and found no board certification, either...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I have a laissez faire attitude but the explosion in medical schools is disgusting. These new schools are absolute toilets run by pigs who want want to make money off desperate people. They do so in the name of democratizing medical school education but it's all about greed. This is why capitalism must be restrained my friends.

Within 3-4 cycles, going to medical school will be stupider than going to law school. You won't be able to get a job. There won't be enough residency slots to train everyone and failing any board is effectively a death sentence for your medical career.

Last edited:
There won't be enough residency slots to train everyone.

You are absolutely right. Residency spots have remained the same as they were in 1997 but enrollment in med schools will have increased 30% by 2017 and most of this growth will come from 12+ new med schools. A perfect storm - I hope I'm not a casualty.

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...medical-school-enrollment-affects-md-hopefuls

snip

In May, the Association of American Medical Colleges announced that U.S. medical schools are on track to increase enrollment by 30 percent from 2002 to 2017, according to the association's Medical School Enrollment Survey. There were 16,488 first-year students in 2002, and AAMC anticipates having 21,434 first-year students by 2017. Some schools have increased class sizes, but much of the projected growth is expected to come from more than a dozen new schools that have been accredited in the last few years.

Could you ask how many of their MD faculty have a license to practice in CA? I'm unfamiliar with the their Ob-Gyn faculty so I looked her up on the Medical Board website and couldn't find anything. I checked ABOG and found no board certification, either...
Will do! Though my interview isn't til the 24th so it'll be a couple weeks. What's your overall opinion of this place, @gyngyn? Do you think it'd be better to go to CNU, or to Touro-CA?

Will do! Though my interview isn't til the 24th so it'll be a couple weeks. What's your overall opinion of this place, @gyngyn? Do you think it'd be better to go to CNU, or to Touro-CA?
I feel like gyngyn's suggestion to ask was a little sarcastic?

Idk I feel like that can be viewed as a rude question, but I guess it depends on how you ask lol.

You are absolutely right. Residency spots have remained the same as they were in 1997 but enrollment in med schools will have increased 30% by 2017 and most of this growth will come from 12+ new med schools. A perfect storm - I hope I'm not a casualty.

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...medical-school-enrollment-affects-md-hopefuls

snip

In May, the Association of American Medical Colleges announced that U.S. medical schools are on track to increase enrollment by 30 percent from 2002 to 2017, according to the association's Medical School Enrollment Survey. There were 16,488 first-year students in 2002, and AAMC anticipates having 21,434 first-year students by 2017. Some schools have increased class sizes, but much of the projected growth is expected to come from more than a dozen new schools that have been accredited in the last few years.

FMGs and IMGs will be squeezed out and I doubt anyone on here will complain about that. I see no harm in having all practicing physicians graduate from a US medical school, rather than a Caribbean or foreign school, as we have no way of evaluating or regulating those other schools.

Moreover, it is not the allopathic schools that have been driving the expansion lately, but schools like LUCOM, which are a disgrace to the medical establishment. Either way, there are more than enough qualified applicants to fill sits at all medical school, CNU including.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I feel like gyngyn's suggestion to ask was a little sarcastic?

Idk I feel like that can be viewed as a rude question, but I guess it depends on how you ask lol.
Not at all. I'm dead serious.
If she is paying cash for this school (and passing up other opportunities) she has a right to know if her faculty has minimum qualifications, no?

Reactions: 1 users
Not at all. I'm dead serious.
If she is paying cash for this school (and passing up other opportunities) she has a right to know if her faculty has minimum qualifications, no?
You are absolutely right and I agree actually. I misinterpreted your initial post, I apologize for my assumption!