California Northstate University College of Pharmacy (CNUCOP) C/O 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the link! Looks like their Student Handbook that I found. I realized their "search" bar was not working, that's why I could not find it. Are you putting down the deposit or are you waiting for other schools?

Yea, I'm going to put down the deposit. Better safe then sorry. That's the idea anyway. You?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I submitted my Supplemental Application on Oct 22 and received and invitation to interview today. However my Interview is scheduled for Dec 6th. That sounds pretty late in the cycle and I am wondering what my chances are of getting in that late? Thanks!

EDIT: just received the confirmation email for the interview, it said that december is the second round of interviews this year.

Last edited:
^I thought it was the third round. First was Sept, second is November? Or is there 2 interview dates for 2nd round :eek:?
And don't worry, December isn't that late. Some people receive acceptances even with late interviews in the cycle ;) I'm sure you'll be fine. I can understand the apprehension though, I have an interview in January and I feel like all the spot would be taken up by then :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting interviews to a pharmacy school in California with GPAs lower than 2.9X? Yup, pharmacy has hit an all-time low in the United States. I understand that you have personal issues that supposedly prevent you from having at least a 3.4GPA, but I am somehow surprised to read through this thread. Best of luck to you all, but this is ridiculous.

^I thought it was the third round. First was Sept, second is November? Or is there 2 interview dates for 2nd round :eek:?
And don't worry, December isn't that late. Some people receive acceptances even with late interviews in the cycle ;) I'm sure you'll be fine. I can understand the apprehension though, I have an interview in January and I feel like all the spot would be taken up by then :eek:

I think that Sept round of interviews were for early admission, then November was the first round of interviews and December is the second. I am not sure though :-/

I think that Sept round of interviews were for early admission, then November was the first round of interviews and December is the second. I am not sure though :-/
Oooh that makes a lot of sense. I think you're right :oops:

Getting interviews to a pharmacy school in California with GPAs lower than 2.9X? Yup, pharmacy has hit an all-time low in the United States. I understand that you have personal issues that supposedly prevent you from having at least a 3.4GPA, but I am somehow surprised to read through this thread. Best of luck to you all, but this is ridiculous.

GPA isnt everything. I work with a pharmacist who graduated from USC (known for the best law review in the nation) and was the top of her class. She is the worst pharmacist I have had the pleasure of meeting. She doesnt know laws at all (she asked me if Dr's can call in their own controls....), she is bad with consults and patients, and is very weird.

Schools are looking for well rounded individuals. Sure I didnt get the highest marks in school but it doesnt mean I didnt try because I did but I was just not interested in physics or chem. So forgive me. I made up for my low GPA with things like a crap load of community service, lots of pharmacy experience, and other things that I can bring to the pharmacy game.

so get off your high horse, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA isnt everything. I work with a pharmacist who graduated from USC (known for the best law review in the nation) and was the top of her class. She is the worst pharmacist I have had the pleasure of meeting. She doesnt know laws at all (she asked me if Dr's can call in their own controls....), she is bad with consults and patients, and is very weird.

Schools are looking for well rounded individuals. Sure I didnt get the highest marks in school but it doesnt mean I didnt try because I did but I was just not interested in physics or chem. So forgive me. I made up for my low GPA with things like a crap load of community service, lots of pharmacy experience, and other things that I can bring to the pharmacy game.

so get off your high horse, thanks.

You're right - GPA does not dictate a well-rounded prospective pharmacy student. But a good GPA AND GOOD EXTRACURRICULAR STATISTICS do. A good résumé should not necessarily make up for bad academic progress. Sure, life happens and students' grades suffer as a result. Otherwise, there is no excuse. You don't see this happening in other fields like medicine or dentistry. Diploma-mills just want to accept students to generate revenue and we're all a part of the system while some individuals, pharmacists included, sit at the top of the ladder banking high salaries as a result of all of this. Regardless, I hope you are accepted because you seem to have a genuine passion for the field like I do. I am hoping, though, that this really is your true passion and not a backup plan since your volunteering was not all pharmacy-related. And as far as that graduate from USC goes, it doesn't matter how she did in pharmacy school necessarily. But I'd be disappointed if she had terrible statistics, fell through the cracks and was accepted, and them became a bad healthcare professional. Too many physicians, dentists, pharmacists, etc. exhibit situations like this. But like I said, best wishes.

You're right - GPA does not dictate a well-rounded prospective pharmacy student. But a good GPA AND GOOD EXTRACURRICULAR STATISTICS do. A good résumé should not necessarily make up for bad academic progress. Sure, life happens and students' grades suffer as a result. Otherwise, there is no excuse. You don't see this happening in other fields like medicine or dentistry. Diploma-mills just want to accept students to generate revenue and we're all a part of the system while some individuals, pharmacists included, sit at the top of the ladder banking high salaries as a result of all of this. Regardless, I hope you are accepted because you seem to have a genuine passion for the field like I do. I am hoping, though, that this really is your true passion and not a backup plan since your volunteering was not all pharmacy-related. And as far as that graduate from USC goes, it doesn't matter how she did in pharmacy school necessarily. But I'd be disappointed if she had terrible statistics, fell through the cracks and was accepted, and them became a bad healthcare professional. Too many physicians, dentists, pharmacists, etc. exhibit situations like this. But like I said, best wishes.

I don't think you should be raining on someone else's parade. They got in so good for them. And besides, getting in is one thing but it's actually another to stay in. So as long as they do better in pharmacy school and pass the NAPLEX test, the same test that everyone else needs to pass, then they proved themselves to be legit. And on a side note, people with low GPA do go into medicine like the caribbeans/DO. Nothing wrong with that though, they still have to pass the same tests as any normal med school.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone going to dec 6th interview?? how is the tbl exercise going to be like? I have no idea...

Does anybody have the power to fix the spelling of "California" on this thread title? OP still here? Tried to let it go but...it's really starting to bug me haha. Please and thank you.

My interview is coming up, and I am a bit nervous. Anyone have any advice? Words of wisdom? Tips? Thanks in advance!

Does anybody have the power to fix the spelling of "California" on this thread title? OP still here? Tried to let it go but...it's really starting to bug me haha. Please and thank you.

This. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm a first year student at CNUCOP and I could answer some of the questions.

is the waitlist a nice way of saying no? :( what are the chances....sighs.
It means you still have a shot! A lot of people who get accepted are put on the waitlist first. There's a high waitlist and a normal waitlist. They take people from the high waitlist first. I was on the normal waitlist and was accepted. I was accepted in August, 10 days before classes started. So don't start panicking yet, there's still a lot of time left.

Also, never ever ask which waitlist you are on or where you are on the waitlist.
My interview is coming up, and I am a bit nervous. Anyone have any advice? Words of wisdom? Tips? Thanks in advance!
Don't panic and get all sweaty like I did. Just be calm. The anticipation is worse than the actual interview.
Hello. I submitted my Supplemental Application on Oct 22 and received and invitation to interview today. However my Interview is scheduled for Dec 6th. That sounds pretty late in the cycle and I am wondering what my chances are of getting in that late? Thanks!
It's not late. Still pretty early in my opinion. I think we have interviews every month all the way through May. I had mine in April.

oh wow...may have to start a new thread :/

Anyone in Orange County going to the Nov 8th interview? I will be taking the "Viet bus" a.k.a Xe Do Hoang, hahaha... It's $60 each way. We can split a taxi to the Red Lion Inn which is about 0.9 miles away from campus. We can also split the inn cost if you want to share a room! Interviews and traveling is really destroying my wallett....

Anyone in Orange County going to the Nov 8th interview? I will be taking the "Viet bus" a.k.a Xe Do Hoang, hahaha... It's $60 each way. We can split a taxi to the Red Lion Inn which is about 0.9 miles away from campus. We can also split the inn cost if you want to share a room! Interviews and traveling is really destroying my wallett....

I live around that area of SoCal. Where were you when I had my interview in Sept!? I had to drive and get a hotel on my own.

Good luck on your interview though! :)

Hi everyone! I'm confused on the supplemental application. Do I just upload the app and pay my fees and that's it? Or is there a submit button that I'm not seeing?

Please help me clarify!! Thanks :)

Hey, Mochi Mellow!! I am driving from Rowland Heights for Nov 8th interview as well. If you want to car pool let me know. :). I can also split the room too.

Hey, Mochi Mellow!! I am driving from Rowland Heights for Nov 8th interview as well. If you want to car pool let me know. :). I can also split the room too.

When is the latest I can let you know? I just recently got accepted into Midwestern, but I do want to see Northstate. What time do you plan on leaving Rowland Heights?

Goodluck to everyone interviewing this Friday! :D

So I was looking at cost of attendance figures for the schools I applied to and CNU ended up being the most expensive at around $300,000 over four years. I arrived at that amount from the numbers posted on their site. How reliable is that? I find it hard to believe that Sacramento is more expensive to live in than San Francisco or Los Angeles.

So I was looking at cost of attendance figures for the schools I applied to and CNU ended up being the most expensive at around $300,000 over four years. I arrived at that amount from the numbers posted on their site. How reliable is that? I find it hard to believe that Sacramento is more expensive to live in than San Francisco or Los Angeles.
Isnt tuition around 40k per year? And isn't it around the same for every school in cali?

I've uploaded my supplemental app and paid. So does this mean I've submitted my supplementals?

I've uploaded my supplemental app and paid. So does this mean I've submitted my supplementals?

Yeup! You should receive an email soon-ish stating that the application was rec'd and then another one probably early next week stating that your application is under review! ^^ Good luck!

Yeup! You should receive an email soon-ish stating that the application was rec'd and then another one probably early next week stating that your application is under review! ^^ Good luck!

Thanks!! It just didn't have that 'SUBMIT' button like all the other schools. All these applications are super stressful but seems like you're already on the your way there!

For those who had an interview already,Can u guy's message me what interview questions they asked.

Got accepted a few weeks ago but I withdrew my acceptance, sadly the deposit was to steep for me 6,500? :,( good luck to you guys!

Got accepted a few weeks ago but I withdrew my acceptance, sadly the deposit was to steep for me 6,500? :,( good luck to you guys!

Are you an international student? o.o 6500 is so... expensive!

Well it's 1,500 for confirmation fee and then 5,000 for seat commitment and unfortunaly I don't have that much money and I tried to get a private loan to help pay but they said I couldn't because they weren't affiliated/contracted with northstate .

The interview wasn't bad at all. They are so nice to everyone. Best of luck to everyone!

hello,
i am just curious to know if this school is diverse? i interviewed with this school last year and got accepted, but i withdrew my application because there was no federal loans. oddly enough i re-interviewed and still there are no loans. The reason why I am asking if diverse or not, is because i am looking to apply for minority scholarships, and i hope that i am eligible for it.

Northstate not giving us an approximation of when they think students will get federal loans to me is worrisome. Makes me wonder if it may be years from now :confused:
Same. I really like the school when I was there, but I'm not sure if I want to take out private loans... A current student told me they might possibly have federal loans available next academic year, but no promises :(

Got my acceptance call! Just called Jason back and it sounds like he got thru the calllist already? Congrats to everyone who got in as well! He said the email should go out later today, tomorrow, or next Monday!

Got my acceptance call! Just called Jason back and it sounds like he got thru the calllist already? Congrats to everyone who got in as well! He said the email should go out later today, tomorrow, or next Monday!

I put in my deposit already, are you going to attend this school? My next interview is with MWU Chicago. So torn! I am from California and would love to stay here but a 3 yr school is so tempting. I just want to be out and done! My friends that went to 3 yr schools said it was not worth it though because they felt rushed from exam to exam and did not get to enjoy pharmacy school as much as they would have liked.

Interviewed 11/8 and received an acceptance call 11/25 too! ^^

Same. I really like the school when I was there, but I'm not sure if I want to take out private loans... A current student told me they might possibly have federal loans available next academic year, but no promises :(
So have all the past/present students taken out private loans if federal financial aid hasn't been offered yet?

So have all the past/present students taken out private loans if federal financial aid hasn't been offered yet?

Yes, I believe this was stated on our school tour - they said that they are in the works of getting federal financial aid, but if it does not pull through, then it would be private loans through the school (as it has been for all past students).

The school set it up (or so they said) for all past and present students because of their past un-accreditation.

I put in my deposit already, are you going to attend this school? My next interview is with MWU Chicago. So torn! I am from California and would love to stay here but a 3 yr school is so tempting. I just want to be out and done! My friends that went to 3 yr schools said it was not worth it though because they felt rushed from exam to exam and did not get to enjoy pharmacy school as much as they would have liked.

Hey! The deposit was $1500 right? So expensive :c When did you interview?

I am probably not going to attend :( The tuition is so expensive.. although I would be able to stay in CA :(.

I thought MWU Chicago was a 4-year school? And MWU Glendale was the 3-year program? Although Downers Grove is ~30 min away from Chicago, it'd be fun to live in the area :p

I'm facing the same dilemma as you cubpanda. Out of state schools are so much more affordable... like 15k/year cheaper. What factors are you considering besides tuition? For me its being able to be closer to family/friends( being able to go home at least 4x a year as oppose to 2x), earlier relocation to CA after pharmacy school, being able to bring my car, BUT IDK if that is enough to offset the tuition price. I did have a good experience at the interview and I feel their TBL learning style is pretty awesome. I guess I still need to think about it.

I'm facing the same dilemma as you cubpanda. Out of state schools are so much more affordable... like 15k/year cheaper. What factors are you considering besides tuition? For me its being able to be closer to family/friends( being able to go home at least 4x a year as oppose to 2x), earlier relocation to CA after pharmacy school, being able to bring my car, BUT IDK if that is enough to offset the tuition price. I did have a good experience at the interview and I feel their TBL learning style is pretty awesome. I guess I still need to think about it.
Same problem :( I went to UC Davis so Northstate is in such an ideal location for me to go home frequently and be there for my family. Plus no relocation necessary and I love Cali weather so much. That private loans though :(((( Also, I really liked Midwestern Glendale and their dummies and practice rooms ; ~ ; So torn right now.

On another note, Did anyone get the acceptance email information with the final date to turn in the deposit yet?

It's hard to say :( Northstate is such a new school (with its accreditation happening just this year) where I don't know if it's worth shelling out the $$ premium. I've been accepted at other schools that I think may give me more of a better overall experience (in terms of rotations, research opportunities, etc.) for the same amount (or cheaper). But, I grew up in Sacramento and would really like to stay here for my mother (and being able to go home... every day/week haha). In the end though, I believe I will end up choosing an out-of-state school, because I believe it can give me a better residency placement/more career options. Their interview was a good, relaxed environment though, which I do really appreciate... so idk :(

In your case though! I would say that the money you save on tuition can be justice to shell out the 1-2grand extra to fly home 4x a year :p

Hi guys,

Does any of you who went through the interview mind sharing how it was like. What happens exactly on the day of interview and how long was the entire event? if possible, can someone share what kinds of questions did they asked? I just want to have a heads up. Any responses would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi guys,

Does any of you who went through the interview mind sharing how it was like. What happens exactly on the day of interview and how long was the entire event? if possible, can someone share what kinds of questions did they asked? I just want to have a heads up. Any responses would be helpful. Thanks!

Like cubpanda said, it was a very relaxed environment. On the day you will all enter to the lobby and you have a chance to other interviewees. They will split you up into groups in advanced and the groups will be indicated on your packet they hand you as you check in. You then move into one of their lecture rooms for an introduction and then a TBL (which I actually loved and walked away with a learning experience). After the TBL you will move forward with your schedules, some will have lunch before the interview and others vice versa. In the interview there will be a student along with a faculty as your panel. It's about 15 mins I would say, it went by really fast but walked away feeling pretty good about it.

For those that deposited already, how soon do they give you a confirmation that they received your payment? I'm a bit antsy because they should get my stuff the day before it's all due so I'm a bit scared if any problem arises :(
Should I just call to check that they receive it?

Hi, I have another interview on the same day as the Northstate Interview. What excuse should I tell Northstate for requesting a reschedule? Should I straight-up say that I have accepted another school's interview on that day?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from the December 6th 2013 interview day? Any good or bad news?