California Psych residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering a residency in psychiatry and hope to return to California.
However, my Step1 score is poor: 215. Do I still have a shot? I am planning on taking Step2 as soon as possible.
However, I do not have any research projects or published papers.
What can I do as a 3rd year student to strengthen my application besides getting as many honors as possible?
Also, i had psych earlier in my 3rd year and got a pass. Is that going to keep me out of california, or can that be replaced by shining letters and good Sub I grades?
Also, is there a list of California Psych residencies I can easily access as a MS3?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

It is becoming increasingly common for people to apply by location rather than specialty. In some parts of the world that's the norm and is accepted. Here it's frowned upon and no one will have any sympathy for you. The main thing that would keep you out would be your lack of interest/commitment to the specialty. there are enough crappy programs in CA that you could match into, not just in psych but also in IM or Peds and in fact more so.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is becoming increasingly common for people to apply by location rather than specialty. In some parts of the world that's the norm and is accepted. Here it's frowned upon and no one will have any sympathy for you. The main thing that would keep you out would be your lack of interest/commitment to the specialty. there are enough crappy programs in CA that you could match into, not just in psych but also in IM or Peds and in fact more so.

What makes you think that I am trying to apply to psych without an interest in it? I have always been interested in psych; was actually a psych major in undergrad. Also was involved in psych research. But I am a California native and all of my family is here. I am considering IM and Peds along with Psych.

I can't understand your harsh tone. If I am reading you incorrectly, feel free to let me know. Because I am not trying to apply to psych residencies just in order to come back to California. And I do not appreciate being misread or misunderstood.

well you posted a few weeks ago asking about matching into IM, peds, and/or OB/GYN and now you are posting about matching into psych. that hardly shows a commitment to psychiatry. psychiatry programs are very sensitive about that sort of thing and above board scores or clerkship grades showing a strong commitment to psychiatry is the most important factor. there is no harsh tone, there's no tone at all, it's an internet forum. i am actually very sympathetic to people applying by location as opposed to specialty (which it is clear by your post is what is most important to you). I was just pointing out that there are enough programs in the specialties you have inquired about in CA that are not particularly competitive and you could probably get into one of those 3 specialties in CA if you wanted. as there are more programs in IM and peds you could probably more happily to match into those if you want. What do you expect people to think? i am not sure why everyone seems to be so upset with me these days.

But to help save you some time, here is the California programs off the top of my head, I may be missing one or two.
UC DAVIS, STANFORD, UCSF, CAL PACIFIC MEDICAL CENTER, SAN MATEO COUNTY, KAWEAH DELTA, UCLA-KERN, UCSF-FRESNO, LOMA LINDA, UC IRVINE, UC SAN DIEGO, UCLA-SEMEL, UCLA-SFV PROGRAM, USC, UC RIVERSIDE, HARBOR-UCLA, KAISER-FONTANA
The top of your head is in all caps?

Reactions: 1 user