California Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tankum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it for IMGs to get a residency position in California ( assuming PTAL has worked out). Please share.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you're applying for and where. Competitive specialities in popular locations are going to be difficult for everyone. But less "glamorous" locations like Fresno, Bakersfield and the Inland Empire are somewhat easier.

Thanks. I'm aiming for Paeds. Any program would do. But looking at previous years residents lists, there don't seem to be very many IMGs. Any suggestions? Thank you

My (limited) understanding is that the PTAL is a pain and can take months (just what I have read, no personal experience). My guess is that it becomes an afterthought for a fair number of IMGs that are focused on getting their ECFMG and are unaware they need the PTAL, or delay getting it and then when they apply, it is too late.

Start working on PTAL if you haven't already, and ECFMG so they are done when you apply.

SDN is predominately AMGs. There are forums that have a higher IMG presence like valuemd and usmleforum; I'm sure there are others. You may have more luck of finding individual success stories on one of sites.

Thanks shiftingmirage. That helps!