California Schools!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnybunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I hope you don't mind that I start a new thread simply to discuss the 8 wonderful California schools. I have a few questions myself, since I'd very much like to stay in California. Maybe we can talk about things you can't find on the schools websites =O

Here's the 8 schools:

UCSF
USC
UoP
UCSD
WesternU
Loma Linda
Northstate
Touro

So we all know that UCSF is number 1. How competitive do you guys think it is to get in? And once you get accepted, are the classes and residencies competitive as well??

USC, WesternU, UCSF, UoP mainly gear towards clinical, as far as I know. I'm not sure about the others. Most likely its the same.

I heard that UCSD was more geared towards research?? And that if you get accepted they push you to do research pharmacy. Is this true??? Can anyone verify this? I also believe that UCSD has one of the cheapest tuitions in California (Yippee!) But they only accept about ~60 or so students (Booo)

Did you know that USC's pharmacy school only consists of two lecture halls?? And it's not even on the main campus! Once I found this out, I was very disappointed. But I guess its the quality of the education you have to PAY OH SO MUCH for.

UoP's a 3 year school. Is the curriculum very fast paced?? Do you get any free time at all? And STOCKTON?? What do you do in your free time except try not to get mugged :(

I understand that Loma Linda is a religious school. I believe, however, you can get accepted if you're not a member of the Church. But once accepted, what's the environment like? Would it be pleasant for a non-religious pharmacy student?

I also hear that Touro's campus is very uninviting :eek: I have friends who visited and said it looked like Shutter Island! I don't really know that much about Northstate...

I hope to get a good thread going! Sorry, it looks like I had more questions than answers! :laugh: Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

I hope you don't mind that I start a new thread simply to discuss the 8 wonderful California schools. I have a few questions myself, since I'd very much like to stay in California. Maybe we can talk about things you can't find on the schools websites =O

Here's the 8 schools:

UCSF
USC
UoP
UCSD
WesternU
Loma Linda
Northstate
Touro

So we all know that UCSF is number 1. How competitive do you guys think it is to get in? And once you get accepted, are the classes and residencies competitive as well??

USC, WesternU, UCSF, UoP mainly gear towards clinical, as far as I know. I'm not sure about the others. Most likely its the same.

I heard that UCSD was more geared towards research?? And that if you get accepted they push you to do research pharmacy. Is this true??? Can anyone verify this? I also believe that UCSD has one of the cheapest tuitions in California (Yippee!) But they only accept about ~60 or so students (Booo)

Did you know that USC's pharmacy school only consists of two lecture halls?? And it's not even on the main campus! Once I found this out, I was very disappointed. But I guess its the quality of the education you have to PAY OH SO MUCH for.

UoP's a 3 year school. Is the curriculum very fast paced?? Do you get any free time at all? And STOCKTON?? What do you do in your free time except try not to get mugged :(

I understand that Loma Linda is a religious school. I believe, however, you can get accepted if you're not a member of the Church. But once accepted, what's the environment like? Would it be pleasant for a non-religious pharmacy student?

I also hear that Touro's campus is very uninviting :eek: I have friends who visited and said it looked like Shutter Island! I don't really know that much about Northstate...

I hope to get a good thread going! Sorry, it looks like I had more questions than answers! :laugh: Thanks!!

I would say that UCSF is pretty competitive to get in since it's in California and because of it's reputation. Actually...most CA schools are competitive to get in, not just UCSF. I'm going start school at UCSF in the fall...so I don't know for sure how difficult the curriculum is and what the exact chances for residency are. But from what I hear, the curriculum is certainly challenging but not necessarily competitive. I hear that classmates are really open to helping each other out and sharing notes. I also heard that about 50-60 (?) percent match into a residency program...but don't quote me on that.

I don't think UCSD pushes their students to go into research...in the end, it's up to the students to decide which route they want to take (I think this is true for any program). But UCSD does have a great environment for those interested in research...because of its close proximity to The Scripps Research Institute, Salk, Biotech industry, Scripps Institute of Oceangraphy, and the university itself is a great research institution.

You're right, USC's pharmacy school is not located on the main campus. It's on the Health Sciences campus, right next to Keck. It's not a pretty building either...(I think UCSD has the nicest facilities). But all of that really doesn't matter, you're just there to learn anyways. The cool thing about the pharmacy campus at USC tho is it's close proximity to USC LA county hospital, which I hear is a great teaching hospital and a great place to gain clinical experience. And if you're interested in becoming involved and serving the disenfranchised, LA has many communities in need.

Zonal ave is not a nice area by any means but USC is a damn good school with great experiences.

If you think can get into a UC, USC, or UOP then apply to Touro as a backup and don't bother considering Northstate due to pending litigation and lack of regional accreditation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

Lucky you, ekimed, for getting into UCSF! Are you nervous about the challenging coursework? Any tips on getting in to the CA schools since you got accepted into a few of my top choices x]

Yeah. Touro's campus is on an abandon navy shipyard and the campus needs a paint job. However, you shouldn't count out Touro because of its campus because the school has a good program. You should probably add Touro to your clinical pharmacy list. Also, the school is also the best place to do a dual degree PharmD/MPH if you're interested. As an insider, new classrooms for the p1 and p2 are being built and is expected to finish next fall.

Yeah. Touro's campus is on an abandon navy shipyard and the campus needs a paint job. However, you shouldn't count out Touro because of its campus because the school has a good program. You should probably add Touro to your clinical pharmacy list. Also, the school is also the best place to do a dual degree PharmD/MPH if you're interested. As an insider, new classrooms for the p1 and p2 are being built and is expected to finish next fall.

Why is Touro the best place to do a PharmD/MPH?

I also vouch for the clinical quality of Touro CA...I know of a few people who got into good residencies from there.

I'll probably chose Touro as a backup school. The UCs are my top choice right now. Do you happen to know how the housing is like at Touro?

Why is Touro the best place to do a PharmD/MPH?

Once you get into the pharmD program in Touro you just have to apply to Touro's MPH program, which is only a personal statement. Therefore, it's really easy to be dual just as long as you apply early. Dual slots tends to fill up quick because the DO students wants to dual as well. Touro's MPH courses are taken during the summers and thus it takes 4 years for a dual degree.

For UCSF's PharmD/MPH, you have to go to UC Berkeley for the MPH portion and you take it after finishing your pharmD degree. So, it's 5 years to complete everything. Also, you have to apply through Cal's MPH admission, which is tough because you're competing with Stanford Medical Students who want to get their dual degree. Thus, slots are limited for the dual degree.

For USC PharmD/MPH, the situation is much better than UCSF, but another year is added to complete everything and thus it's 5 years total.

It all depends if you want to enjoy your summers or tack on another year to the 4 to be dual. I hope this helps. :)

I'll probably chose Touro as a backup school. The UCs are my top choice right now. Do you happen to know how the housing is like at Touro?

There is no housing. :( You have to find a place yourself.

Usually, students live on the island where 5-6 students rent a whole house together, or rent a condo/ apartment off the island. Total average cost is about $650 per a month.

As for me, I'm living with my parents. Although I like to have my own apartment, I don't want to be more in debt.

Does anybody know how the curriculum is at Western U?

Once you get into the pharmD program in Touro you just have to apply to Touro's MPH program, which is only a personal statement. Therefore, it's really easy to be dual just as long as you apply early. Dual slots tends to fill up quick because the DO students wants to dual as well. Touro's MPH courses are taken during the summers and thus it takes 4 years for a dual degree.

For UCSF's PharmD/MPH, you have to go to UC Berkeley for the MPH portion and you take it after finishing your pharmD degree. So, it's 5 years to complete everything. Also, you have to apply through Cal's MPH admission, which is tough because you're competing with Stanford Medical Students who want to get their dual degree. Thus, slots are limited for the dual degree.

For USC PharmD/MPH, the situation is much better than UCSF, but another year is added to complete everything and thus it's 5 years total.

It all depends if you want to enjoy your summers or tack on another year to the 4 to be dual. I hope this helps. :)

Huh, very interesting. Thank you for that! :thumbup:

So what you mean is...Touro is the easiest place to obtain a duel PharmD/MPH degree. How does easy=best? More specifically, what are some aspects of Touro's MPH program that trumps Cal's or USC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard touro has good clinical quality too. Didnt touro won 1st place in clinical skills competition in california?

So what you mean is...Touro is the easiest place to obtain a duel PharmD/MPH degree. How does easy=best? More specifically, what are some aspects of Touro's MPH program that trumps Cal's or USC's?

ekimed, I think you misunderstood Angkor. I believe what he/she meant is that Touro offers a smooth journey through the dual degree compare to other schools [correct me if Im wrong Angkor]. Angkor is not putting any school down by claiming touro has the best pharmD/MPH program. I think all the pharmacy schools in California are decent and resourceful.

Last edited:
I havent been keeping up with the story of new schools opening up. How many schools in CA now?

Currently open as of 5/25/12 (north to south)

CNCP (Rancho Cordova, CA)
Touro CA (Vallejo, CA)
UCSF (City)
UOP (Stockton, CA)
LLU (Loma Linda, CA)
USC (LA)
Western (Pomona, CA)
UCSD (SD)

Announced/in process (north to south)

Samuel Merritt (Oakland, CA)
Project was shelved in 2009-2010 due to lack of financing. Lately, it has started recruiting high level staff with an intended start date of Fall 2014 with deans/associate deans on board by summer 2012.

Central California SOP (Fresno, CA)
No action/info since 2010, website is now defunct and links to spam. Last mention in public records was March 2010 when Dr. Lynch, the project leader, spoke at a city council meeting. The property that was purchased in 2006 is currently on the market (4144 N Millbrook Ave Fresno, CA). The corporate address listed (8839 N. CEDAR AVENUE, #77) is a Postal Annex box. Corporate entity still exists and is registered. I just called the last known phone number (559-476-2940) and it goes directly to an unconfigured vmail box.

American University (Signal Hill, CA)
Announced, currently seeking founding dean & staff (job postings as of May 2012). Likely opening Fall 2014 depending on funding and staff searches.

Chapman University/Keck Graduate Institute (Claremont, CA/Orange, CA)
Announced, currently seeking founding dean/ & staff. Likely opening Fall 2014 depending on staff searches.
My opinion: will be the strongest new school opening due to the academic reputations of the two institutions involved. Additionally, funding shouldn't be a problem as Chapman Univ. attempted to pay $50M for the Crystal Cathedral in a bankruptcy auction in CASH.

Numbers
Current # of schools = 8
If all the pending schools open in 2014 = 12

Currently open as of 5/25/12 (north to south)

CNCP (Rancho Cordova, CA)
Touro CA (Vallejo, CA)
UCSF (City)
UOP (Stockton, CA)
LLU (Loma Linda, CA)
USC (LA)
Western (Pomona, CA)
UCSD (SD)

Announced/in process (north to south)

Samuel Merritt (Oakland, CA)
Project was shelved in 2009-2010 due to lack of financing. Lately, it has started recruiting high level staff with an intended start date of Fall 2014 with deans/associate deans on board by summer 2012.

Central California SOP (Fresno, CA)
No action/info since 2010, website is now defunct and links to spam. Last mention in public records was March 2010 when Dr. Lynch, the project leader, spoke at a city council meeting. The property that was purchased in 2006 is currently on the market (4144 N Millbrook Ave Fresno, CA). The corporate address listed (8839 N. CEDAR AVENUE, #77) is a Postal Annex box. Corporate entity still exists and is registered. I just called the last known phone number (559-476-2940) and it goes directly to an unconfigured vmail box.

American University (Signal Hill, CA)
Announced, currently seeking founding dean & staff (job postings as of May 2012). Likely opening Fall 2014 depending on funding and staff searches.

Chapman University/Keck Graduate Institute (Claremont, CA/Orange, CA)
Announced, currently seeking founding dean/ & staff. Likely opening Fall 2014 depending on staff searches.
My opinion: will be the strongest new school opening due to the academic reputations of the two institutions involved. Additionally, funding shouldn't be a problem as Chapman Univ. attempted to pay $50M for the Crystal Cathedral in a bankruptcy auction in CASH.

Numbers
Current # of schools = 8
If all the pending schools open in 2014 = 12

I hope your cali peeps don't start to flood the AZ market.

Meh, CA saturation seems overhyped, at least compared to PA. They only have 1 more school than PA (so 14% more schools) and 3 times the people. Never been there though, so don't know how it really is.

Meh, CA saturation seems overhyped, at least compared to PA. They only have 1 more school than PA (so 14% more schools) and 3 times the people. Never been there though, so don't know how it really is.

It's not so much the pharmacy schools but the demand for them. California students spillover into adjacent states/universities that are within an hour flight and end up returning (Pacific U in OR, Midwestern in AZ, and USN in Las Vegas) so there is sufficient demand to support new schools in CA.

Hell, my graduating class in PA was 20% California and pretty much all of them are returning this year or will return upon the completion of residency in another state.

So does it even matter if schools open in CA? No, schools opening in PA (and other states) affect the pharmacist supply in CA. Of course the barrier to entry back into CA is increased but we're a determined bunch.

Oh we will...with the convenience of Southwest Airlines or a quick 8hr drive back to Southern California, AZ is practically a suburb of CA!

oh gosh if all these schools end up succeeding in getting candidate status, then those who will be applying in 2014 will be very lucky. It would be a good time to finish undergrad. :)

oh gosh if all these schools end up succeeding in getting candidate status, then those who will be applying in 2014 will be very lucky. It would be a good time to finish undergrad. :)

too bad their job prospects will suck...we'll have to invade Arizona to stay employed, haha.

I heard touro has good clinical quality too. Didnt touro won 1st place in clinical skills competition in california?

ekimed, I think you misunderstood Angkor. I believe what he/she meant is that Touro offers a smooth journey through the dual degree compare to other schools [correct me if Im wrong Angkor]. Angkor is not putting any school down by claiming touro has the best pharmD/MPH program. I think all the pharmacy schools in California are decent and resourceful.

Sorry if I misunderstood you Angkor. But when someone says it's the best place do pursue a certain degree, I assume they are referring to the quality of the program.

too bad their job prospects will suck...we'll have to invade Arizona to stay employed, haha.

I would hate to be graduating in 2018, if those schools open up...

You guys forgot California Baptist University - School of Pharmacy: http://www.pe.com/local-news/topics...-plans-inland-areas-third-pharmacy-school.ece

TBH, I almost applied to American University C/O 2016 because they were promoting that the School of Pharmacy would open Fall 2012. I decided not to because of how incompetent the admissions counselor was being. Here are a few direct quotes of how she answered some of my questions:
"however way you can send me the information. (now I am assessing your critical and problem solving skills."
"You just answered your own questions—it is 4 quarter units. Not 12 unites."

Yeah! Way to represent your university! Whatever...it was a good call because right when I decided to dump them, I got an e-mail from them saying that AACP would not visit (i.e. approve) their program for Fall 2012. LOL.