"California Security Prescription" watermark for schedule II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socalpharm86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New grad here working as a floater for a major retail chain in California. Hoping some more experienced RPh's can shed some light on this particular issue I've been facing regarding C II prescriptions.

Section 11162.1
The tamper-resistant form will be available from private printers who must be approved by both the Board of Pharmacy and the Department of Justice. Prescribers can obtain these forms from any approved security printer in any quantity or format they desire.

The new forms must have a number of different security features:

• Void protection to prevent duplication or chemical washing to alter prescriptions;
  • Watermark on the backside of the prescription with the text “California Security Prescription;”
  • Thermo-chromic ink that changes color when exposed to heat;
  • A description of the security features printed on each prescription form;
  • Quantity check-off boxes; and
  • The preprinted name, category of licensure, license number, and federal controlled substance registration number of the prescribing practitioner.
A good portion of the prescribers (non-institutional) in the area I service utilize tamper-resistant Rx pad that lack the watermarking. Thus far I've been rejecting scripts from patients not known to the pharmacy, but the problems arise with the regular patrons. Having to explain to them why I can't fill it, but to come back when the staff RPh is scheduled is both time consuming and has resulted in complaints to corporate. Any seasoned California RPh's here have experience with prescriptions lacking the watermark? What has been your experience regarding audits from the DEA and BOP? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.