Calling all UCSD upper division pre-meds :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi sdn, long time no see :)

Quick question for the UCSD pre-meds out there.

I have a friend who is hysterical right now because she just received a sub-par score on a Molecular Biology midterm. Since she is a post-bac, she is (understandably) feeling the pain of having let herself down again.

I am trying to convince her it isn't all that bad, that these classes are generally curved, but to no avail.

SO! I send it out to you, SDN UCSD-ers! Please back me up and help my buddy relax a little otherwise I fear she may be sitting on pins and needles until the class meets again and the "curve" or lack thereof can be established.

So basically ,there is a curve in this course (Molecular Biology BIMM 100) correct? I can ask her who the professor is if that helps.

Thank you lovely people <3

Members don't see this ad.

UPDATE In case anyone else is lurking with the same question :)

Apparently curves do not generally occur in this type of class but the professors often add something like 10/15 points to your raw score and then straight scale that.

Normally there are usually curves for ucsd bio classes. The curve is dependent on the professor's preference, and since the guy teachign it this quarter is new, there's no telling of what he will do unless your friend asks him. He could do a normal curve (i.e. setting up cutoff points so 20% of class get As 25% get Bs...etc) or just normalize the top scores as 100%. This are just possiblilties and he may do something different.

The curve depends on teh final course grades, so midterm scores now are not reflective of what the curve would be.

Normally there are usually curves for ucsd bio classes. The curve is dependent on the professor's preference, and since the guy teachign it this quarter is new, there's no telling of what he will do unless your friend asks him. He could do a normal curve (i.e. setting up cutoff points so 20% of class get As 25% get Bs...etc) or just normalize the top scores as 100%. This are just possiblilties and he may do something different.

The curve depends on teh final course grades, so midterm scores now are not reflective of what the curve would be.
Hey there thanks for the reply. I didn't attend UCSD but I gave her similar feedback last night based on my own Undergrad experience. I just had a hard time believing she was the only one who didn't do well (from what i inferred I think she got between a 65 and 70) especially since she had thought it went well.

I'll be sure to relate your first hand experience-- i'm sure it will ease her mind a bit. Thank you!