Calling Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dismo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to call dental schools. You know, get my name out there and make sure that I would be a good match for them. However...

I have no idea what questions to ask! I feel like if I just spit my stats at them at them they will just be annoyed and refer me to their website and the ADEA book... What do you guys call and ask about? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

trust me, whatever you do today, they will not remember your name when your application comes. Every school gets about 3000 applications, theyr not gonna remember "Joe Shmoe from Detroit with a 3.7 GPA and 22 DAT"

if you don't have any questions then don't bug them with random pointless questions.

they're not gonna remember you.
lol maybe they'll remember you as the annoying kid who wasted their time and put you on a blacklist

Members don't see this ad :)
That was exactly my fear! Oh well, I suppose I will have to go with good old fashioned bribes at my interview... just have to work harder to get one now.

I completely disagree with the previous posters, but only if you have some actual questions to ask. Even if it's just saying hi, I was wondering if you could send me some materials, and one or two other questions. I know some schools keep a record of every time you corresspond with them. Make sure it's not schmoozing or brown nosing, but if you are actually interested I don't think it would hurt.

Maybe some schools out east/west would not think very highly of this, but the schools I talked to (all midwest schools) seemed genuinely glad I was interested. The 2 schools I talked to the most are the schools I got accepted to, and the 3rd was one I got waitlisted at. While you need to do it tactfully and un-annoyingly, I say go for it!

i feel about this as i do about asking questions in a 200+ person lecture hall. If it is a legit question that will not make u look like an idiot, fine, go for it... don't ask a question that you can look up, don't call 20 times..

if i was on the receiving end, i'd judge most callers asking qs just to ask. I guess everyones different in that regard tho.

As far as schools who keep track... i still feel it could go both ways. yeah they want to see that you are interested, but u dont want to seem like an incompetent, dependent, needy dousche because u called 20 times.