Calling schools after denial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_a_bucket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering what's the etiquette for calling a school after they deny your application. Basically, I was hoping they could tell me what in my application was lacking, for curiosity's sake. Is this standard? Completely inappropriate?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed UM and they won't release anything, only give "tips" for next cycle lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called midwestern for an update the lady I talked to gave me some pointers. I plan on calling many more if I don't get in this cycle haha. We're paying them, the least they can do is answer some questions!

I emailed UM and they won't release anything, only give "tips" for next cycle lol.

But why even care about UM...you're a Buckeye now...screw the Wolverines...lol, jk. kinda....

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the school, some are more willing to discuss you application than others. No harm in calling them up and asking.

Yeah, I called the school in question and the advisor told me that the admissions board doesn't make notes that are shareable with students. But she was polite and apologetic, so I didn't get the impression that I was out of line asking.

I've known people applying to Pharm, Med and Dental school whom have done this very thing after being rejected from schools. According to them the advice given is very useful in their re-applications, and while it is true that some schools will be less helpful than others, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.